BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS........

Re: Trouble Training for Cat C License

by Edin Gooner » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Ahhhh, trouble with CAT C, for years been wanting to do my HGV and Artic, so saved the cash and paid all my money to The LGV Training company (which said they had their own training schools in Scotland) hmmmm, found out after booking test etc, surprise they sub contract not to 1 company but 2, training was booked threw Happy Hour who then contracted to SPX ( who I must commend totally much better service from them). Okay so now passed CAT C 22nd Nov now still waiting on licence coming back from DVLA 5th DEc that was sent(hmmm). So I can sit modules 2 and 4 for CPC (does anybody no what the module 2 is like as I dont know what to prepare for?) as I have still to do CAT C + E

Anyway guys I am in the same position as many newbies, how the hell do I get a job driven a Truck? as all am getting at the moment is no experience etc, and its the same from agencies. Anybody got any ideas? please advise? based in West Lothian. Thx.

Edin Gooner:
Okay so now passed CAT C 22nd Nov now still waiting on licence coming back from DVLA 5th DEc that was sent(hmmm). So I can sit modules 2 and 4 for CPC (does anybody no what the module 2 is like as I dont know what to prepare for?) as I have still to do CAT C + E

You can do module 2 now and you will need the theory book, the driving goods vehicles book and common sense
You can do module 4 after passing moodule 2 but you MUST have your driving licence with you

TruckNetUK Help File:
There are many posts on this site that have cited certain National Training Providers for not being fully transparent with their advertising and not explaining EXACTLY what the trainee is letting themselves in for :exclamation:
Some claim they have many training centres - they don’t :exclamation: - they act as ‘middlemen’ and farm out the work to other training schools and taking a slice by way of commission in the process.

For example, a provider might seem to be giving something away for free such as a C+E course if you pass a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) course but beware, there will be time constraints on doing this :open_mouth:

Check exactly what they are asking you to do - is it a DRIVER CPC course which is not in force until Sept 2009 and is like ongoing basic training for LGV drivers, or a NATIONAL CPC (Operators) course which is only needed if you are going to run your own vehicle or a fleet of trucks :question: :question: :question:

The ‘operator’ CPC is not a legal requirement for a driver, and there is NO legal linkage or conditions about gaining a NATIONAL CPC to enable someone to upgrade to a C+E driving licence.

The NATIONAL CPC course only has 4 exam slots each year and is of an ‘A’ level examination standard.

If you pay one of these National Training Providers then, unless you have paid by CREDIT card, you may be unable to get a full refund once you realise that you have ‘been legally duped’. Always check with your card provider beforehand.

The general advice from the members of this site is to book your training with a company that has their own vehicles and instructors and, where possible, to get a recommendation from someone who has previously trained with them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ask questions…

Should I have an Assessment drive? (Your personal choice on this point)
How much is an Assessment drive?
How much is the full course?
What does that include — VAT? Medical? , Theory test training? Theory test fee? Theory book? HPT (Hazard Perception Test) CD rom?
How many behind-the-wheel training hours will I get before my test?
Do you offer 1 to 1 & 2 to 1 training so that I can opt for what is best for me?
If I do not pass first time, how long till I get a retest?
What is the TOTAL price to take a retest?
If my course (or test) is cancelled at short notice by you for any reason, will I get full compensation such as loss of earnings if I will have to take more time off work?

There have been various posts on this site about these National Training Providers and can be accessed by using the SEARCH facility at the top of the page - just input the name of the provider you wish to check on. :smiley: :smiley:

THIS LINK will give you another members’ personal observation on the way that they operate and is well worth a read :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i trained at red rose based in bolton carnt fault them good instructers 3 year old man wagons i also did my cpc with them no problem

Most of the links in this thread are invalid, returning 404 errors. :unamused: :unamused:

Saratoga:
Most of the links in this thread are invalid, returning 404 errors. :unamused: :unamused:

The training school links have been edited :wink: unfortunately when they were first posted they were links that usually went to a contact page ( which was great when they worked ) but over time websites change and you get the error page! Now they should link to the Trainers front page which means the user clicking through to find the details but they should work even when the website changes !

If anyone sees a broken link or companies no longer trading, please can you contact the forum mods,or DieselDave or myself , either by pm or by reporting the post ( and giving the link details) , Thanks :sunglasses:

There are both good and bad driving schools out there and one of the best ways to find out which are which is to ask as many drivers in your area as possible what their experience’s were. Try to find young looking drivers as many of us older fella’s trained with now defunct schools or through companies.
When my Son did his C+E(class 1)he was told he needed 3 days lessons with the Test on the 4th day. He was happy with this news but when I called him at the end of the first day he had spent a total of just over one hour behind the wheel as the instructor had said the second pupil needed extra tuition.
Luckily he passed first time but in total had only spent just under 5hrs behind the wheel with just 2 reversing exercises so in my opinion had been conned out of many hundreds of pounds. Yes,I had been giving him some tuition but I am not an instructor and they had charged him for 4 days(inc Test).
Finally, as well as checking out the driving schools I would advise anyone out there reading these claims of shortages of drivers to bear in mind that there are a lot of experienced drivers also seeking work and as all the Companies I have worked for require 2-3yrs previous experience you may struggle. Basically what I am saying is do’nt take out a loan for the training thinking you will step straight into a high paid job and repay the loan in a year. The reality will probably be Agency work for a few years with hit and miss wages.

janner:
When my Son did his C+E(class 1)he was told he needed 3 days lessons with the Test on the 4th day. He was happy with this news but when I called him at the end of the first day he had spent a total of just over one hour behind the wheel as the instructor had said the second pupil needed extra tuition.
Luckily he passed first time but in total had only spent just under 5hrs behind the wheel with just 2 reversing exercises so in my opinion had been conned out of many hundreds of pounds. Yes,I had been giving him some tuition but I am not an instructor and they had charged him for 4 days(inc Test).

Two students training on a vehicle for 4-5 hours a day. This is what I had when I first went for my class 2. The second time I did it I spent 4 hours a day being trained on a one to one, which meant I passed as I had more tuition. I would recommend the latter option as on your own you get more direct training rather than group training.

Just heard today there is now a C & CE trainer out in Llanon in Ceredigion. He’s got a WD setup there. This is good as there isn’t another trainer for quite far, especially if you’re stuck in some backwater like Aberystwyth :astonished: :smiley:

I completed DCPC yesterday,the trainer said a lot about police and fire personnel picking up odd shifts in lorries on their many days off.Newbies ought to bear this sort of thing in mind before commiting large sums of money to training when there is little liklihood of securing steady employment after passing all of the tests.I would recommend checking out local hauliers let them know that you are interested in working ,would they employ you after you pass your driving test.Also read the post by Janner above mine.

alamcculloch:
I completed DCPC yesterday,the trainer said a lot about police and fire personnel picking up odd shifts in lorries on their many days off.Newbies ought to bear this sort of thing in mind before commiting large sums of money to training when there is little liklihood of securing steady employment after passing all of the tests.I would recommend checking out local hauliers let them know that you are interested in working ,would they employ you after you pass your driving test.Also read the post by Janner above mine.

Sorry but I don’t agree.

I took on both my c and c+e fully knowing how hard it would be to get work.

I passed cat c about may last year and c+e about 2 weeks after. It took me 5 months or so to get a half decent job which was only a temp 3 month contract. Then only about 2 months ago did I finally manage to get full time permanent work from a local haulier.

So in reality I had my licence for the best part of a year before being given a job and I’m only 24 (was 23 when I started this new job)

I’m happy I went for it when I did. If I was still working a ■■■■■ job in a supermarket stacking shelves until I was 25 and waited for the job market to pick up I’d probably have gone mad .

It is surprising how many companies actually do like employing new drivers. It means they can guide them and teach them how they like the job to be done.

Glad to see that its working out for you. When I really needed a job I asked so many times and always got “sorry mate plenty drivers at the minute”.Every time I saw the lorry it had a different driver The owner could say why employ a driver and pay Nat.Ins. etc when there is a ready supply of police and fire men just keeping out of their wives way, and earning a few bob at the same time.

That’s the point tho, it was a year before things finally worked out for me.

I had a year of knocking on doors, phoning, emailing, dropping cv’s etc it took a huge amount of perseverance but it DID pay off eventually.

I guess that each person has different experience, but even if there are plenty of jobs and opportunities out there it is still depends on you, the guy who looks for a job. The way that you apply, the way that the interview goes, how hard you are digging to find your dream job and so on…

Hi I’ve just started to look into the HGV learning and tests. I live in Brighton and was wondering if anyone can give me and good reconmendation for a driving school. I want to get into driving petrol tankers preferably and was wanted to know the best way of doing it. I have already had and passed a medical and have bought the books and DVD for the hazard perception and the theory test as well which I will take in the next month hopefully. So as you can see I am moving in the right direction though I just need a final push in the right direction so I don’t waste time and money.

Nick-B:
Hi I’ve just started to look into the HGV learning and tests. I live in Brighton and was wondering if anyone can give me and good reconmendation for a driving school. I want to get into driving petrol tankers preferably and was wanted to know the best way of doing it. I have already had and passed a medical and have bought the books and DVD for the hazard perception and the theory test as well which I will take in the next month hopefully. So as you can see I am moving in the right direction though I just need a final push in the right direction so I don’t waste time and money.

From my little knowledge of fuel tanker jobs … I think they want LGV drivers with years of experience and then they have to wait for someone to retire (or worse) - I think they are known as ‘dead mans jobs’ … but that is just from my very limited knowledge/view

Recommended training schools - try this - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

Thoroughly check out your local LGV job market especially for newbies as many employers/agencies want you to have held the licence for up to 2 years and be over age 25 for insurance purposes

Quite a lot of the fuel tsnker work is hived of to the agencies. You could enquire at the depot and find out who has the contract.I think that they employ long experienced drivers as the job is the best paid in the industry they can pick and choose .No harm in trying you would most likely have to do multi drop and curtain side work before getting promoted to tankers.

nice post !

I just wish I had found this forum before I handed over nigh on £1800 to the company in the #1 slot, who have done nothing but mess me around. If you are in Scotland and close to Glasgow, I can recomend a centre which is designed for purly for driver training B+E through C+E and everything inbetween, it’s clean with everything you’ll need right down to a canteen with fresh hot meals, the trucks are well kept, they have their own artics. The staff are very friendly (providing you’re not a muppet) and very helpful. There is as far as I am aware no solo tuition which maybe their only downfall in some eyes, I had 4 days 2:1 training (approx 14 hrs driving inc the test) there and passed with 4 minors (thanks Scotty).

Danny_b:
I just wish I had found this forum before I handed over nigh on £1800 to the company in the #1 slot, who have done nothing but mess me around. If you are in Scotland and close to Glasgow, I can recomend a centre which is designed for purly for driver training B+E through C+E and everything inbetween, it’s clean with everything you’ll need right down to a canteen with fresh hot meals, the trucks are well kept, they have their own artics. The staff are very friendly (providing you’re not a muppet) and very helpful. There is as far as I am aware no solo tuition which maybe their only downfall in some eyes, I had 4 days 2:1 training (approx 14 hrs driving inc the test) there and passed with 4 minors (thanks Scotty).

You are allowed to name a company that you either recommend or not as the case may be as long as its from your personal experience

ok then IMO www.thehgvtrainingcentre.co.uk are a shower of usless … It was GTG (owned by Arnold Clark) in whiteinch Glasgow they put me through and the guys there were great, I will be back there on the 5th to do my Mod 4. I’ll enquire to direct pricing so I can post it up. It might help others from waisting a few hard earned £££.