Job Offer

Hi,

I posted on this site about a week ago about getting back into class 1 driving, well I have been offered a job driving tilt trailers form Immingham docks, it pays £8 ph, time and half after 8 hours. Now for the problem, I haven’t managed to get a refresher course yet so will I be safe to just go out with an artic. The truck is a Renault Magnum and it’s bloody massive, and it looks very intimidating, I’m not even sure how to couple and uncouple a trailer, and as for reversing well that will be a laugh. So do I take the job and suffer the steep learning curve or do I bottle it and stay with the class 2 work. :confused:

Thoughts please

Regards
Paul

dont worry mate we all start some where!!! i remember my first time!!! the first job is to get it out of the yard then find the first lay by and park up and first stop shaking :confused: then start to get urself use to the truck i had to drive ut of the yard in 3rd and just missing the gate house made it safly to the first lay by a hole 300yards away my god i must of smoked 10 ■■■■ before i moved off again and down to london!!! but once u areout and about u will find urself going into auto pilot …no problems and good luck

when you were interviewed did the gaffer ask about experience?

if so did you lie

try and explain to him that you need a bit of a hand getting used to the truck(i.e never drove a magnum before) and ask him if you can have a shadow for a couple of days until you get the hang of it.

I’m not even sure how to couple and uncouple a trailer, and as for reversing well that will be a laugh.

im so glad thats not my magnum. :open_mouth:

good luck

jon

Hi Paul

Take a look at the links here, they may help

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … t=coupling

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … t=coupling

or take a look at
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=10

But whatever you do, Take care, and Enjoy.

Kate

Just bluff it, You can’t mess up the airlines or electrical suzies, they only fit one way.

From what I’ve heard 8 quid an hour plus O/T is very good for Grimsby so snap it up :slight_smile:

yeah go for it .the first time i drove a magnum i nearlly ripped the side skirt off when i caught the bosses transit flatbed it was in my blindspot i hadnt even officially started yet either but he had faith or he wanted me out the way cuz he sent me to belgium. :laughing: all youve gotta do is take ya time and dont be afraid to ask for help or advice. happy truckin :laughing: :laughing:

Who’s offering £8 per hour round here? I could do with some of that. But then tilts are hard work after fridges :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, jonboy I didn’t lie, I told him about my lack of class 1 experience, he said you will be ok, I have been in the truck and it felt like it was going to tip over on some bends. I also felt like the truck was in charge of me, instead of me being in charge of it. Anoraknaphobia I forgot to mention that rate of pay is for nights.

Paul

Take it

SLOW

You’ll be OK

Ask if in doubt! …ask even if your not in doubt!!!.. you will be when you get some of the answers! :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Good luck.
because you asked in the 1st place,

I think you will do just fine!!!

I’m only on £6 per hour for nights now :open_mouth:

Magnums do tend to lean quite a bit :open_mouth: on bends. I’ve not been far in a Magnum, just a test drive. I have spent many hours with Magnum drivers (over the years) and they have almost all mentioned the lean. :smiley:

You will do OK, the learning curve will be steep and you will make mistakes. Self sufficiency is great but even more important is recognising when your beat and asking the question. Thats where we come in. You can ask here and no-one will see your embarassment :smiley: .

I recently got into class 1’s after driving rigids for years. My first day was a trouser filler, but each day gets easier after that. Can’t emphasise enough what every one has said - take your time and ask if you need help.

You’ll be fine. Good luck and even if you feel like it’s all too much, take a deep breath and relax. I can guarantee that the Monday after your first week, once you’ve had your first weekend away from the wagon, when you get back in that hot-seat you will feel like you’ve been doing it for months. Enjoy!! :wink:

You will be fine, Simon is right it’s a Magnum thing and takes some getting used to. The best bit is when your doing a straight line on a motorway and it feels like the top of the cab is in a different lane to the wheels but you soon get used to it, like everybody say’s just take your time and ask advice. You’ll end up loving that truck. :wink:

paulGY:
Hi,

I posted on this site about a week ago about getting back into class 1 driving, well I have been offered a job driving tilt trailers form Immingham docks, it pays £8 ph, time and half after 8 hours. Now for the problem, I haven’t managed to get a refresher course yet so will I be safe to just go out with an artic. The truck is a Renault Magnum and it’s bloody massive, and it looks very intimidating, I’m not even sure how to couple and uncouple a trailer, and as for reversing well that will be a laugh. So do I take the job and suffer the steep learning curve or do I bottle it and stay with the class 2 work. :confused:

Thoughts please

Regards
Paul

This for a bloke called Tony from Mablethorpe?

I think he’s from that area but he’s not called Tony.

If he’s just taken delivery of a mercedes unit we are talking about the same bloke

Cav203k:
If he’s just taken delivery of a mercedes unit we are talking about the same bloke

It seems like it.

paulGY:

Cav203k:

It seems like it.

You will be getting paid monthly then, he was offering 1700 a month + nights out to pull ferry trailers during the day.

Cav

I’ve sent you a pm