Please explain "adblue" in laymans terms

:confused: i keep seeing this pop up in articles, as a novice please can somebody quickly an basically in easy to understand language! explain a liitle bit about what it is what it does etc thanx! :blush:

It’s a Urea based solution that is added in the cat (i think) to improve the emissions.

■■■■■■■ down the stack won’t help however.

Hey Donpablo, Adblue is a Uretha and distilled water mixture that is used to enable EuroIV SGR engines to meet emmission levels, basically it is sprayed on to the exhaust gas as it enters the cat and leaves the exhaust smelling of roses. Or as the experts put it…

The basic principle of SCR is that nitrogen oxides are converted into non-toxic nitrogen and water vapor in a catalyst using ammonia as a reducing agent.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Since ammonia is a hazardous substance, and thus the scope for using it in road transport is limited, a non-toxic, odor-free aqueous solution is used for commercial vehicle application. In combination with SCR technology, this solution goes by the name „AdBlue“. Under the supervision of the engine management system the AdBlue, which is stored in a separate tank, is injected in the required amount into the hot exhaust stream, where it is hydrolysed into ammonia. AdBlue is an aqueous urea solution whose specifications are regulated by standard DIN 70070. A non-toxic, colourless and odourless substance, urea is used amongst other things in the farming, textiles, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals industry.

The supply unit ■■■■■ AdBlue out of the tank and via a heated delivery pipe to the metering unit. The supply unit is mounted on the frame near to the tank, and the metering unit is mounted on the engine. The compressed air controller supplies compressed air in the right quantity and at the right pressure to the AdBlue metering unit. In the metering unit AdBlue is injected into the hot gases via the metering valve, in the appropriate quantity and with compressed air assistance, in such a way as to ensure an even distribution of AdBlue in the exhaust stream. Homogenous dispersion is vital for hydrolyzing AdBlue and thus for the efficiency of the catalyst.
:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

[quote=“8wheels”…

■■■■■■■ down the stack won’t help however.[/quote]

Quite right - up the exhaust is the only way :laughing: :laughing:

donpablo:
quickly an basically in easy to understand language

Cow ■■■■.

:smiley: right now i understand!!! thanx for that info. :wink:

In layman’s: It’s part of a number of measures to help stop THIS sort of thing… More’s the pity! Bloody tree huggers! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

That sounds good, didn’t know you could get a 2-stroke diesel engine.

:smiley: right i get it now its the enviroment thing, so if i wee in the tank of my diesel 4x4 {which i have to tow my 1500kg caravan and accomadate the wife and kids and their stuff they need!} mr livingstone will be fine about me driving round the westend? haha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That is so weird, I was thinking the exact same thing earlier and couldnt find any info on this forum about it.

I did a quick google and here are a few useful links:

http://www.liquidms.co.uk/adblue.html

http://ind.yara.co.uk/en/products_services/products/adblue.html
(diagram included)

Kiowan:
That sounds good, didn’t know you could get a 2-stroke diesel engine.

Detroit Diesels used to make two-stroke diesels, they may still do. There was a European truck builder who used two-stroke motors, Saviem I think it was.
Some Bedford TM’s had Detroit Diesel two-strokes in them.

what happens if u run out of adblue can u still drive ?

fatyead:
what happens if u run out of adblue can u still drive ?

I’m led to believe that, at the moment, running out of Ad-Blue will make NO difference, other than your emissions will get worse. You can still drive.

However, when the trucks go in for their next service or inspection after New Year, there will be an Engine Management software addition. I’m told that if you run out of Ad-Blue after then, you will loose 10% of your power.

As a result I now carry a 5l can of Ad-Blue.
I usually get back to the yard before running out of Ad-Blue, but 5l in reserve does no harm. I’ve got a 40l Ad-Blue tank on my wagon and do about 2700km before it goes onto reserve.