Introduction to a couple of 8-speed gearboxes WITH PICS

I’ve just recently passed my class 2 with Chevron (top notch driving school) and next week I have my mod 4 and an assessment with Brakes. I’ve only ever driven a 4 over 4 splitter box, never the slap over boxes, was just wondering, what’s easier to operate? I don’t want to look like a complete amateur (even though I kind of am) on my assessment!

So to switch to high range, you slap it over to the right, then to go back to low range, you slap it over to the left? Sounds simple enough, hopefully I won’t fumble it and have to run out into the M62 head first into a Nissan Micra out of frustration for making a ■■■ out of myself!

Endgame:
… So to switch to high range, you slap it over to the right, then to go back to low range, you slap it over to the left? Sounds simple enough, …

Hi Endgame,

It’s exactly that simple mate, but you have to be in neutral to do the slapping :grimacing: :smiley:

Top Tip:

Don’t rush the slap, otherwise you’ll get the gearstick into what you think is the gear you want, but you’ll still be in neutral. :wink:

Endgame:
I’ve only ever driven a 4 over 4 splitter box

I’m probably being pedantic, but a 4 over 4 is a range change - not a splitter. Plenty of experienced drivers, and trainers, refer to them as splitters but, as per the pictures earlier in this thread, they are different animals.

As DD said, take your time with the range change; they can get confused if rushed.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Endgame:
I’ve only ever driven a 4 over 4 splitter box

I’m probably being pedantic, but a 4 over 4 is a range change - not a splitter.

Hi Peter,

I’ll own-up… I’d missed the excellent point that you spotted. :blush: :blush:

Cant be expected to spot everything when eating pies Dave!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just to diversify, now with the introduction of autos to the driving test I’m surprised that many trainees would still rather do the training in a manual.

Paul :smiley:

Just to diversify, now with the introduction of autos to the driving test I’m surprised that many trainees would still rather do the training in a manual.

I’m finding a split between the two camps. Some definitely want manual, others want auto and the majority don’t have a strong view.

Many folks, when offered auto, don’t realise that they get a full manual licence and it often has to be explained a couple of times. I think that’s why folks plump for manual rather than the perceived added education.

But it will be interesting to see how it all pans out over the next couple of years.

Question

I’ve got an interview with Brakes in Burtonwood, and the lorry’s they use are Mercedes Axor’s. I was wondering if anybody knows what type of gearbox that type of lorry has?

Might be a noobish kind of question, but again, with only driving the 1 type of lorry, I’m wanting to know what I’m walking into when I go for the assessment! I want to make a good impression, not being familiar with the gearbox/stick is probably going to make me look like the amateur I am!

Probably auto but could be 4 over 4. I haven’t come across any others but that doesn’t mean they dont exist!

BTW, you’re not an amateur - just a newly qualified professional gaining experience.

All the best with the assessment, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Endgame:
Question

I’ve got an interview with Brakes in Burtonwood, and the lorry’s they use are Mercedes Axor’s. I was wondering if anybody knows what type of gearbox that type of lorry has?

Might be a noobish kind of question, but again, with only driving the 1 type of lorry, I’m wanting to know what I’m walking into when I go for the assessment! I want to make a good impression, not being familiar with the gearbox/stick is probably going to make me look like the amateur I am!

Pretty sure those are standard 6 speed car style boxes. I remember talking to one of their drivers and that is what he said, that and how they have a zb clutch.

If it wasn’t for this thread I’d of been screwed. I did my test in a new Iveco autobox, my first job was in a 7.5T puddle jumper with a standard 6 speed. When I went to work for Nobles I was presented with a 4 over 4 manual. Having read though this thread before I started my training I had a vague idea on what to do. Took some time getting used to it but you can’t beat the feeling of going through the gears, hearing that hiss when you change ranges.

I was talking to a newbie like me the other day, he asked me how I found the gears in a manual as he was driving an auto. He said he never wanted to drive anything but an auto, said he was scared of the gears which seems odd to me. Yes I do have issues pulling away, I’m slow and people get angry but I find that those trucks flying past me on dual carage ways are auto’s with drivers who have been doing it for years.

I was put off from auto boxes for training because before I did any training, the manual gear boxes sounded fairly complex. I didn’t want to pass my test in an automatic, then have to be faced with a manual and be completely clueless! That being said, when it comes to gearboxes, I only have ever driven 1 type, so it’s going to be hit n miss with the slap over box if this is what the Merc Axor’s have!

I have my mod 4 this week, my training school have a lorry with a slap over box, I might just ask to have a quick look at it, so I know what to expect (visually anyway)

Thanks, Pete. I’ve actually got a a couple of interviews lined up for when/if I pass my mod 4, Brakes being the only non agency company though!

Made a sticky so it will be easier to find in future. :wink:

I still maintain that, given the change in rules and the desire for everyone to pass a test AND be capable of doing the job, the way to train is on auto followed by an hour on a manual without the pressure of a test.

And remember, until quite recently, very few people trained on anything more complicated than a 6 speed. And the same folks went on to drive range changes, splitters, twin splitters - the list is endless.

Mixed day today. Passed my mod 4 with 100% marks, but was “unsuccessful” with my Brakes assessment due to inexperience. Not too disappointed like. The lorry was a 6 speed gearbox, tried pulling off in 3rd - wasn’t happening, tried pulling off in 1st, nearly sent us flying through the windscreen! Lol. Finally found the happy medium with second gear, but my lack of experience was quite obvious. Assessment driver said I could clearly drive, but apparently Brakes pride themselves on their image, and that I should apply again in a few months after I have gained more experience!

Ah well, I have a few more interviews with agencies tomorrow and next week, hopefully they’ll go a bit better!

Endgame:
Mixed day today. Passed my mod 4 with 100% marks, but was “unsuccessful” with my Brakes assessment due to inexperience. Not too disappointed like. The lorry was a 6 speed gearbox, tried pulling off in 3rd - wasn’t happening, tried pulling off in 1st, nearly sent us flying through the windscreen! Lol. Finally found the happy medium with second gear, but my lack of experience was quite obvious. Assessment driver said I could clearly drive, but apparently Brakes pride themselves on their image, and that I should apply again in a few months after I have gained more experience!

Ah well, I have a few more interviews with agencies tomorrow and next week, hopefully they’ll go a bit better!

I find that if you are loaded, always start in second low on flat ground. If you are empty then it third to forth low. I was driving a 12 plate MAN with a 8 speed range change with splitter gears. When that thing was empty it used to bounce around when you set off. When loaded I did the gears like this.

2nd low
4th low
Range change
5th low
6th low
6th high (depending on road conditions)
7th high
8th low
8th high

Seems a bit odd but that the way I found that was the smoothest. That being said, everytime I wanted to change gear I had to have a wrestling match with the gearbox, it was really heavy.

^^ Thats generally the way I do it Radar, with the same gearbox but in a DAF. Been a successful method for a good few years now. 6th low is always my go-to gear for going around roundabouts, always works a treat.

Love having a splitter if i’m driving a manual, makes life easier I think.

elmet training:

Paul :smiley:

I trained in a manual last November, just before the rules changed. I think it was a good thing I got to learn to use a 4-over-4. The only problem is that in an unladen 14-tonner, which is what we were using then, it doesn’t work like it does on an 18-tonner which in the real world is the smallest vehicle that is likely to have an 8-speed gearbox. In the training vehicle we treated 4th gear as 1st. In the real world, you start in 2nd (I had to ask this when driving my first 8-speed on the job, and I don’t think they were very impressed). Not sure if schools still teach people to use the gearbox like that now that they have to be laden with tanks of water. You will only learn one type of gearbox, i.e. either one with a switch or a slap-over. When I first had to drive a vehicle with a slap-over gearbox (a Merc 26-tonne tipper), I kept fumbling the 4th-5th gear change. I only really learned how to use them when I did my first attempt at class 1 with J. Coates in May.

On the other hand, with class 1 it’s all about learning how to drive and reverse with a large trailer, so not having the disturbance of a manual gearbox can be an advantage, and some schools will let you take your test after fewer lessons than on a manual. On the other hand, you then have to learn to avoid pitfalls such as “kickdown”. Twice, I found that getting up to speed was slowed down because automated gear changes got in the way, including when I was pulling away from a lay-by on my test.

I drive a fully automatic 26 tonne bin lorry, when full its the worst gear box ever takes ages to get up hills then if you need to brake going down it can jump 3 gears at once and the rev counter is in the red, snow & ice is just a nightmare as no control

I did an assessment for my C licence in a lorry with a four over four gearbox and it did throw me a bit, along with the sheer size of the lorry. The instructer got quite shirty when I cocked the gears up. The first time he asked me to pull up to the kerb I scuffed the tyres slightly and he said “we’ll that’s fifteen quids worth of rubber gone”. Really want to do my C licence but he’s put me off a bit. :frowning:

sammy770:
I did an assessment for my C licence in a lorry with a four over four gearbox and it did throw me a bit, along with the sheer size of the lorry. The instructer got quite shirty when I cocked the gears up. The first time he asked me to pull up to the kerb I scuffed the tyres slightly and he said “we’ll that’s fifteen quids worth of rubber gone”. Really want to do my C licence but he’s put me off a bit. :frowning:

Don’t take that. Go find an instructor who doesn’t shout at you. Shouting is not the correct way to teach someone.