Old Bloke Starting Out Again

The title nearly says it all. I’m an old boy who passed his Class 1 in 1988 and drove pretty much full time until 2006 when I moved abroad. I went back to England a couple of times after that and kept my hand in but my last time driving a Class 1 was January 2009.
So I’m heading back home due to that thing that I won’t mention that has basically killed the business I had, there’s other reasons as well but that’s not relevant.
So things to do, I’ve renewed my driving licence that expired in 2015 so I’ll be able to drive a car, I’ll be booking my CPC online course shortly and will book a medical when I know a definite flight date.
So what to expect when I get back ? I’m on a few facebook pages and if I believe everything on those then it will be a nightmare !
Are things really as bad as they make out ? To be honest I’m doubtful as there must be 1000’s of drivers on the road everyday and they can’t all be having these problems, my last couple of years driving were a lot easier than when I first started.
Work, again what is the situation there around Leicestershire, good or bad ? I’d start by getting in touch with some agencies so any advice on good and bad ones there would be appreciated.
I’ll close for now but will more than likely come back on with more daft questions that will make me look like a total muppet but bear in mind how much has changed over there in the last 10 years.

Are things really that bad? Best deal with that on a point by point basis. Certainly the industry will have changed a great deal.

If you choose a decent DCPC outfit with up to date info, they should be able to answer most of your questions authoritatively. Many places are going back to a classroom situation as from next week, some places do courses on a Saturday too, I know one place that will be continuing to do online courses on a Saturday twice a month.

Remember to get a digi card too.
gov.uk/government/publicati … river-card

Ask on main forum for advice on good/bad jobs/agencies.
There is still disagreement but I`d say avoid any suggestion of self-employed/umbrella schemes if any are offered. PAYE all the way unless you have exceptional reasons.

Hi I only started driving late last year but I’m loving it.
For your CPC can I recommend Traxion Training who I did mine with and as a complete novice with no experience I found Craig who runs it extremely helpful and knowledgeable

traxiontraining.co.uk/

Regards
Andy

Franglais:

There is still disagreement but I`d say avoid any suggestion of self-employed/umbrella schemes if any are offered. PAYE all the way unless you have exceptional reasons.

Yes I’ve been reading about that and it’ll be PAYE all the way for me. The digi card is something I need to look into as well.

Andy1969:
Hi I only started driving late last year but I’m loving it.
For your CPC can I recommend Traxion Training who I did mine with and as a complete novice with no experience I found Craig who runs it extremely helpful and knowledgeable

traxiontraining.co.uk/

Regards
Andy

I’ve near enough got mine sorted already as he’s still doing online courses which because I’m out of the country I need to do. I want to get it sorted before I fly home so it’s there waiting for me.
ps…thanks for that link, there maybe issues with me paying for mine that I’m trying to work around and it’s always good to have an alternative.

Franglais:

I thought I could call them to get a replacement card ? The problem with that form that I can see is that I have to pay by cheque and I don’t have a cheque book and I’m not in England to do a Postal Order.

applecomson:

Franglais:

I thought I could call them to get a replacement card ? The problem with that form that I can see is that

If youve previously had one, then yes Im sure you can. They have been in dispute for a week, but I believe all back next week.

Franglais:

Any link for this or do I start a new thread on it ?

applecomson:

Franglais:

Any link for this or do I start a new thread on it ?

Best to start a new thread in the PDF if that is where you wish to ask