D4 Medical query

Hi all. I’m new to this forum & hopefully soon to be new to the HGV industry.

I have a query that I need some info on & hopefully someone on here can guide me correctly.

Back in January 2016 i decided to fulfil a dream and enter the world of HGVs so I undertook a D4 medical and passed no problems, I sent off the forms along with what ever else I needed to the DVLA on the same day and within 2 weeks or so I received everything back and was granted my provisional entitlement for a category C license (happy days).

My plan at the time was to start training during the next few months, however some personal problems stopped me from doing so and the plan to undertake training was temporarily abandoned.
Fast forward 5 years and I am in a position to start training again (once current circumstances allows training to resume that is).

I am aware you need a medical on 1st application and then every 5 years from age 45 onwards and then once a year from age 65.
(I am currently 33 years old and my health has remained the same since I saw the doctor who completed the forms back in 2016).

My question is - Will I have to undertake another medical before I start training or will the initial medical cover me that I undertook 5+ years ago ?

I’m only asking as I never did anything at all since seeing the doctor and not sure if you need to gain your license within a certain time frame of passing the medical.

I hope this makes sense - I reached out with this query to my local hgv training school who haven’t responded (probably due to lockdown) & also asked a former hgv driver who is unsure.

Thanks for your time & I hope someone can shed some light.

No mate it’s valid until 45.makena start on your theory and CPC, apply for your tacho card, you can do all of these before passing! Good luck

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

gov.uk/view-driving-licence
once into it check your provisionals - bet C is still there :smiley:

Send off for your tacho now, don’t need anything else in for it, and while waiting for tests etc having the card is a little extra boost that you are on track.

For the theroy and mod 2 cpc, be prepared to travel to get good dates, I booked mine in back in the aftermath of lockdown one, and very few around and only Saturday I could get was in Fort William, so a fair drive down from Aberdeen and then Glasgow for my mod 2 2 months later.

Good luck, and great to see now in a position to pursue a dream!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Excellent thank you. 1 less thing to sort out.

I did just check .gov website with my details and states provisional entitlement until mid 2032 :slight_smile:

I’ve found the relevant form for the tacho card application and I’ll print it out, fill in the details and post it off with the payment ASAP.

As for theory and cpc - I’ve not long purchased books to help me study (proper DVSA ones) but if anyone knows of any other methods that helped them then it would be a great help. In the meantime I’ll get my head down and study and once my local training centre reopens I’ll speak to them about the steps I need to take in booking in training.

I’m looking at going with big wheelers here in Cardiff (less than 6 mile drive for me). They do the practical training, test and all relevant cpc modules in one package. I know someone who passed with them (in fact his face is on their website under the “what our customers say” section), he recommended them so worth a look into.

Thanks to all that responded.

Check out the free 1000 theory Qs contained within the link in my signature below