Clarification on the CPC

Hi all,

Just applied for the D2/D4 forms today needed for my provisional license.

I am going to look for a training school in Merseyside which can help me obtain my C+E licence. I just wanted some clarification on the CPC…

If I passed the CPC, would that then grant me my C license? After which I then need to take a second practical test to get the E added onto my license? In a nutshell I believe the steps are…

1. Apply for provisional
  2. Take CPC tests (4 modules) - in which I obtain my C license if I pass.
  3. Take second practical exam to obtain C+E license.

I guess the next step for me is to start saving up and booking a course from start to finish in Merseyside. Roughly how many hours of lessons would you estimate it would take? I am anticipating it to cost around £2500-£3500 in total.

Many thanks!

First you have to have the medical to get the provisional entitlement, then you will need to do you theory tests, I would try to include your case study exam (Module2), once you pass the theory tests you can start your driver training and test. Normally 14 hours and test. You can do your Module 4 anytime after passing the module 2, this is normally done the same time as the driver training. Once you’ve done this you can move on to the CE. Before you get your own medical make some calls, we include this in the stater pack.

Do you have a pre 1997 car licence :question:

If no then -
D2 & D4 along with licence needs to be sent to DVLA
Do not pay more than £60 for the D4 medical unless you want to be ripped off :exclamation:
All 3 theory tests can be booked for the same day = Mods 1a + 1b + 2
Book practical C training with mod 4 training with a recommended school
Pass mods 3 C test & 4 CPC test - need driving licence for both
Examiner deals with licence upgrade to C
CPC mod 4 pass is done electronically to DVLA by examiner
DVLA automatically give CE provisional after passing C
CE is then only a practical test - no more theory or CPC needed

If yes then -
A few changes from the above
Only need 2 theory tests mods 1a & 1b
Book practical C training with a recommended school and choose a school which has that training approved for CPC hours because it will give you some of the 35 hours you need for the driver CPC
Book the rest of the 35 hours needed to get the CPC
You can do the 35 hours right now because a LGV C1 is already on licence for pre 1997 car test pass drivers

A digicard can be obtained now with a basic car licence

Thank you both for your answers. I’ve found a couple of schools that have advertsied positions for HGV Driver Trainees with employment prospects at the end (too good to be true, right?). I’ve contacted one such school to learn more and get some information on how it’ll work since I’m already working at the moment and was just going to pay for the entire license myself. Although it seems a little too good to be true for a company to pay for your training and license costs. Plus I would be a fool to leave my current job without another one quickly lined up!

Not heard of something like this although it was being advertised as a job with Hughes Driver Training. Is anything like this legitimate or should I just stick with my original plan and pay for the lessons and costs in my own free time?

Also sent off for my D2/D4 forms!

Has anybody had any experience with this?

I do not know of any training schools that can guarantee you a job after passing

ROG:
I do not know of any training schools that can guarantee you a job after passing

Upon looking at the advertisement on Totaljobs again, it states… “If so, you are ideally suited to become a HGV / LGV driver. With our complete Trainee HGV training package, we take care of everything from your medical, theory, CPC and practical training before placing you into employment with one of our affiliated companies. You can start your training for a small deposit as little as £40 a week with our train now, pay later scheme.
We have a strategic relationship with Pertemps Driver Agency, the largest driving agency in the UK.”

I am guessing by a job guaranteed they mean they can get you enrolled with the agency however that doesn’t necessarily mean a job driving. Think I must have misread it last night and thought they offered to pay for it all.

Either way something to consider.

So they’re offering finance options on your training and an interview with an agency afterward?
Not that unusual, there are companies I know near me that do that.

I wouldn’t let this “offer” influence you, pick a Training School based on recommendations, not on the promise of agency work.

Seems like you have the idea that C+E “is where it’s at” and C isn’t anything more than a stepping stone - plenty of decent work for a rigid driver and plenty of C+E jobs that don’t pay more than C. I know of companies doing C+E at minimum wage too.

Just my $0.02 worth, but I’d suggest you consider C as worthwhile in itself, and make it pay for itself before considering more cash outlay for C+E

Zac_A:
So they’re offering finance options on your training and an interview with an agency afterward?
Not that unusual, there are companies I know near me that do that.

I wouldn’t let this “offer” influence you, pick a Training School based on recommendations, not on the promise of agency work.

Seems like you have the idea that C+E “is where it’s at” and C isn’t anything more than a stepping stone - plenty of decent work for a rigid driver and plenty of C+E jobs that don’t pay more than C. I know of companies doing C+E at minimum wage too.

Just my $0.02 worth, but I’d suggest you consider C as worthwhile in itself, and make it pay for itself before considering more cash outlay for C+E

Cheers for the advice. I’ve seen lots of jobs advertised, both desirable, for either C or C+E work. I planned on getting C-qualified and then getting the C+E to better my options, however it was just something I was going to decide to do after getting C license. With that said, at the company I’m working for now there are good prospects for C-qualified drivers which would definitely be a good possibility since I’m familiar with the company and it would be a sideways move almost.

I am just considering two schools in the Liverpool area so far - Town and Country and Northwest HGV Training. I don’t have a car so would need to either cycle or public transport although I am trying not to let this factor too much into my decision, and instead go more with reputation. T&C seems to have solid reviews based on other sites as well as this one.

Thanks all for your help so far. Really appreciate it.

If transport is an issue I may as well mention now what others are soon going to suggest: forum sponsor Peter Smythe Training do free residential options if you’re a certain distance away from them, depends on your home situation whether that’s doable for you, but it could make your course a lot simpler to complete and Peter gets big thumbs up from forum members for quality of training - and you can do your test on their training site where you do your practice!

petersmythe.co.uk/

Zac_A:
If transport is an issue I may as well mention now what others are soon going to suggest: forum sponsor Peter Smythe Training do free residential options if you’re a certain distance away from them, depends on your home situation whether that’s doable for you, but it could make your course a lot simpler to complete and Peter gets big thumbs up from forum members for quality of training - and you can do your test on their training site where you do your practice!

petersmythe.co.uk/

Wow, that’s pretty amazing. I would need to take time off work but it’s definitely something to consider. Many thanks!

Companies aren’t as averse to paying for training as you might think, the problem is that once a driver is trained and has the licence, there isn’t really anything stopping him/her moving on. It is the risk of the driver leaving and going elsewhere that is the issue.

You seem quite clued up about the process and rightly wary of finance packages where you may end up paying a lot more than the training actually costs.

One thing to mention is that there is always the chance of a fail, so factor in an extra few hundred for a possible retest.

Mail95:

Zac_A:

petersmythe.co.uk/

Wow, that’s pretty amazing. I would need to take time off work but it’s definitely something to consider. Many thanks!

PSTT do a weekend course so possibly only 1 day off work needed and that be test day Monday.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

And, as a Trucknet user, you get 10% off normal rates.

Together with free accommodation, it’s pretty obvious why this is the choice of many.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Just to add, if you don’t have a car then agency wirk is very unlikely to work out as they’ll promise “local” then ring you at 4am to travel 50 miles.

Trouble is when you’re startong out, that’s the more likely job type too. Good to see someone clued up which will stand you in good stead.

Not having your own transport will be seen as an issue for agencies and even direct employment with a company.

Being able to rely on public transport or lifts or biking unless living very close to an employer may well count against you on applications/interviews.

Some jobs due to start times and locations and terms of contract require people to have their own transport.

Just something to consider.