Reversing

Hi. I’m a new pass class1 driver. Had class2 for 22 years. So have plenty of hgv experience. My question to everyone is, does anyone know anybody who has never been able to grasp the technique of reversing. Or will I be the first?

redstar10:
Hi. I’m a new pass class1 driver. Had class2 for 22 years. So have plenty of hgv experience. My question to everyone is, does anyone know anybody who has never been able to grasp the technique of reversing. Or will I be the first?

I can’t comment on wag and drag but artic wise it can take more time than you would think. I would suggest a year before completely at ease is possible and was the case for me.

Do as much of the work you can going forwards, if you can leave a straight back to finish then great. That means thinking where you want the back of the trailer and so where to take the cab ahead to make that happen.

The mirrors are more important, especially ns, using the wide angle, in a rigid you don’t need the width to see your position going backwards but artic becomes vital with some angle on in the reverse. Judging space and if you are parallel can be harder with that view. Also the increasing area of blind spot can feel daunting, noticing everything relevant in the space as you approach it can help manage this, but if in doubt get out and look.

Rigid to artic easy to use too much steering input, if I use a rigid now I get shocked how many times I have to spin the steering wheel.

First of all I find it much easier reversing with my head out of the window rather than using the mirrors only but that’s me…

Keep an eye on the path the trailer follows when you are pulling off a bay or out of a junction, when reversing the trailer it should be aimed in a similar path.
Always stop with the trailer aimed as best you can to where you want to go, bend the outfit before stopping to reverse, the rig is then set to go in the direction you want it to sometimes without you having to even turn the steering wheel…

Aim the trailer wheels where you want to go, Also, when passing the bay you want to reverse on to look for a marker on the ground like a stain a puddle or a crack in the concrete in line with the bay about 30+ feet out then reverse around your marker and on to the bay. Even after 40 years on artics I used to jump out and drop my spare number plate or a rag on the yard as a marker if there were no lines or other vehicles in an empty yard as a guide.

Practice and practice again, just turning the wheel about half a turn and see what happens as you reverse, when the truck is bent slightly just turn the wheel back to straight and the truck will go round in an arc without you turning the wheel back and too, after all you don’t drive forward off a bay zig zagging the cab so why do it going backwards,

don’t go too slowly when practicing reversing it’s more difficult that way, practice and when you go wrong then stop and go forward and do it again, DON’T try and keep correcting your mistakes, you learn every time you go wrong so the more times you go wrong the more you learn.

Reversing wagon and A frame drag is similar, always set the rig up with the drawbar bent so as it will go in the direction you want it to when you start reversing, never turn the steering wheel more than half a turn when starting to reverse and when you see about a foot of the front of the trailer in your mirror take the lock off and adjust to follow the trailer as you push it, you should never need more than one full turn of the wheel when you get used to it.

Most of all good luck you’ll be there in no time.

It can take some time but when on a bay or in the yard watch other drivers reversing how they set up a reverse take your time if in doubt get out & look don’t be afraid if another driver is there tell them your a new pass & can they watch you back

Depends on your boss & if enough room ask boss if you can go in & do some reverse practice

redstar10:
My question to everyone is, does anyone know anybody who has never been able to grasp the technique of reversing. Or will I be the first?

As someone who has spend tens of hours on youtube watching instructional videos, asking here for practical tips for specific situations I can say there is no technique, only practice until you get a “feeling” for it. Reversing an artic is probably the most unscientific event in the universe.

ETS:

redstar10:
My question to everyone is, does anyone know anybody who has never been able to grasp the technique of reversing. Or will I be the first?

As someone who has spend tens of hours on youtube watching instructional videos, asking here for practical tips for specific situations I can say there is no technique, only practice until you get a “feeling” for it. Reversing an artic is probably the most unscientific event in the universe.

I agree with that, I found that allowing a driver to experiment rather than asking him to attempt a specific reversing manouver was far more beneficial to the learning process, also I found that a driver would get the hang of it quicker if reversing a bit faster than walking pace, doesn’t matter if you go wrong just stop and start again it soon becomes natural, you should do this before you even think think about putting a trailer on a bay. I taught a few young lads after they had passed their test, also taught a few drivers how to reverse an A frame wagon and drag.

Don’t worry mate it will all fall into place the more you do it.
I was a brand new driver and went straight into the devil’s world that is Supermarket deliveries!
I can still remember the dread of arriving at some of the yards and thinking how the hell am I supposed to get this in there. To be honest I still think that now at some of the ridiculous places I go too.
The initial set up is a big thing. You can get most of the hard work done by just taking a breath before starting and picturing where you want to end up before going backwards.
If you have the space always try to end your set up with the trailer and unit “kinked” rather than in line.
This not only gives you a better view but gets the trailer turning as soon as you start reversing.
Head out or mirrors… it’s your choice. Just don’t neglect the nearside or offside checks too.
Just take your time and if in doubt Get Out and Look!
Better to jump in and out the cab a couple of times than just push on and hit something.
This is even more relevant in the dark as the reflections and lights in your mirrors can make it really difficult to pick out things.
As lots have already said. Don’t spin the wheel like a professional DJ. Put an input in and let it take effect.
Figure out where your trailer pivots axle wise.
Tri axle will pivot around the middle axle so that’s the one you need to “drive” along your imaginary line.
Twin axles pivot in the middle of the wheels.
Don’t be afraid to take as many shunts as you need.
And I guess most importantly don’t get frustrated with yourself if it doesn’t quite go to plan…
Everyone has those days where you nail every reverse.
But I guarantee everyone has days where nothing seems to go right.
Just enjoy it and practice practice practice