Well I did it

Passed my tests 4 years ago, but now this latest lockdown has made Taxi driving unviable and I have been with Bannister in Evesham for the last five weeks. I came on here ages ago looking for advice for a way into lorry driving without having to write an essay about myself, and all I got was abuse from forum members. Turns out all it took was a phonecall, and since I started, all the drivers I have met have been super helpful, which was a pleasant surprise. Half way through my sixth week now and I still need several shunts to get onto some bays. How long does it normally take before a driver is proficient, or might it never happen?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

JohnTheTaxiDriver:
Passed my tests 4 years ago, but now this latest lockdown has made Taxi driving unviable and I have been with Bannister in Evesham for the last five weeks. I came on here ages ago looking for advice for a way into lorry driving without having to write an essay about myself, and all I got was abuse from forum members. Turns out all it took was a phonecall, and since I started, all the drivers I have met have been super helpful, which was a pleasant surprise. Half way through my sixth week now and I still need several shunts to get onto some bays. How long does it normally take before a driver is proficient, or might it never happen?

Everyone’s different mate. I passed 3 years ago and went straight into a job. Took me about 4 weeks to master a reverse. Even now, some days I can have an off day and can’t reverse for toffee [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

JohnTheTaxiDriver:
… all I got was abuse from forum members.

Welcome and you will not get that on this forum

ROG:

JohnTheTaxiDriver:

Oh but I did. That’s why I was surprised how helpful drivers are out there. It was the drivers attitude on the road which made me give this another try.

JohnTheTaxiDriver:

ROG:

JohnTheTaxiDriver:

Oh but I did. That’s why I was surprised how helpful drivers are out there. It was the drivers attitude on the road which made me give this another try.

Not NOW though :smiley:

I hope to get loads of advice and in turn maybe I can pass it on to others in years to come (although I will probably go back to the taxis when all this corona[zb] ends).

JohnTheTaxiDriver:
I hope to get loads of advice and in turn maybe I can pass it on to others in years to come (although I will probably go back to the taxis when all this corona[zb] ends).

What was your previous username? Its always handy to refresh our memories

Wheel Nut:

JohnTheTaxiDriver:

What was your previous username? Its always handy to refresh our memories

I can’t remember. Probably TX11 CAB, that’s my number plate. But maybe something else. It was a while ago.

Proficiency going forward and backwards takes about 2 years. In that time you will have come across everything you need to cope with or overcome. Reversing is something you can learn, but to many it comes naturally from day one. Don’t sweat it, I see plenty of 20 year drivers struggling to get on a bay or in a space.

Truckerian99:
Proficiency going forward and backwards takes about 2 years. In that time you will have come across everything you need to cope with or overcome. Reversing is something you can learn, but to many it comes naturally from day one. Don’t sweat it, I see plenty of 20 year drivers struggling to get on a bay or in a space.

I got between another wagon and a wall yesterday at Coop Thurrock. Took me a couple of shunts to get between the bananas properly. I haven’t been stuck yet but it does take me a while to get on a bay. Starting at 51, maybe I’m a bit long in the tooth for a career change, but I’m earning what I used to earn as a taxi driver for more hours admittedly BUT there is nothing to be earned as a cabby now. No schools, airports, pubs or restaurants.

welcome aboard John :slight_smile: most driver’s out there are helpful…i’ve been hgv -ing 42 years and always happy to help a fellow trucker.had some help myself over the years as well.probably the keyboard warriors who gave you abuse wouldn’t say boo to a goose in real life :laughing:

JohnTheTaxiDriver:

Truckerian99:

I got between another wagon and a wall yesterday at Coop Thurrock. Took me a couple of shunts to get between the bananas properly. I haven’t been stuck yet but it does take me a while to get on a bay. Starting at 51, maybe I’m a bit long in the tooth for a career change, but I’m earning what I used to earn as a taxi driver for more hours admittedly BUT there is nothing to be earned as a cabby now. No schools, airports, pubs or restaurants.

I used to be a taxi driver, i wont go back to it, as for your earnings, you are more or less guaranteed your weekly wage now and dont forget holiday pay and bank holiday pay, and if your vehicle breaks down its the companies problem not yours, and more than likely you have got your weekends back too.

shullbit:

JohnTheTaxiDriver:

Truckerian99:

I used to be a taxi driver, i wont go back to it, as for your earnings, you are more or less guaranteed your weekly wage now and dont forget holiday pay and bank holiday pay, and if your vehicle breaks down its the companies problem not yours, and more than likely you have got your weekends back too.

Nah. I work Wednesday to Sunday. I would choose evenings too if I could but have to work days. Taxi driving was perfect for me.

I left. I did six weeks (and a bit). I’m gonna just wait for the taxi trade to pick up.

JohnTheTaxiDriver:
I left. I did six weeks (and a bit). I’m gonna just wait for the taxi trade to pick up.

Dont blame you. Job is a lot better.