New Here Hello Everyone

Hey Everyone

New Here thought I would say a quick hello.

Been stuck in office job for past 10 years, this pandemic and working from home has made me think about what I would really like to do. I decided that I wanted to learn to drive a truck, So I have passed my Theory, to get my Class 2 just need to do the practical that keeps getting postponed due to lockdowns (which is understandable) so just having to be patient.
Mate has already said he would let me go out on his Rigid to get some experience once I pass so thats kinda keeping me on track to get it done when allowed to.

So thought I would join this lovely group to make get tips on what to do and ovcourse what not to do.

Hope that you are all keeping well and staying safe.

Jay

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

What to do and what not to do??

Make sure you choose a reputable trainer for a start. This can be difficult as there is no regulation of the industry. Unbelievably, anyone with a licence for 3 years can get themselves a rusty old truck and call themselves a driving school. Said person is not obliged to have any training towards instruction and is not subject to any scrutiny whatsover.

But what I always make clear at this point is that there are some perfectly good trainers out there who dont appear on a voluntary register for whatever reason. The problem you have is discerning the good from the bad.

There is, as I have alluded to, a register which is recognised by DVSA. It can be found at www.lgvregister.org.uk. This will show you nearly 300 instructors who have proved their worth by regular testing together with a dozen or so approved schools who have demonstrated good facilities, qualified staff etc etc.

If you dont want to follow that route, recommendation is great if you can find some. You will find that the forum sponsor comes highly recommended and also offers residential courses at no extra cost. Mention that you are a Trucknet user and you’ll automatically get 10% discount as well. Maybe worth a call imo. 01623 555661.

What not to do?? Avoid brokers. They’re easy to identify. They all state they have national coverage. No trainer in the UK has this so they are a broker. Dont book anything on the phone unless you have rock solid recommendation. Visit the training centre and get a feel for what you’ll get.

Buyer beware.

All the best with it, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I have to echo what Pete says. I admit I didn’t train with his company but I did visit a couple of times. It’s a proper setup. It was on a geographical thing that meant me training more locally to where I live. I couldn’t fault the setup at Petes’ place.
I passed my Class 2 a little over 2 years ago. COVID-19 has made the last 12 months a challenge but that goes for any industry right now. Had 2 interviews today. Was offered both jobs. The first one said they take new passes. I went to the other as the overall package was better but I’d have taken the first one regardless of the current climate. It’s timing.
Had mixed agency experience. Worked for 2 that are excellent plus it provides wider experience. I don’t regret getting my licence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk