Long wait for test

I’ve been told by my local training company that they are looking at February before I can take my test for C with them maybe sooner IF there’s a cancellation, I hope it’s not the same length of time if I pass and want to do C + E! Is anyone else hearing the same thing?

Not really surprising and not their fault or a situation of their choosing: DVSA weren’t running tests but training providers were still racking up sales for training during lockdown so naturally there’s something of a backlog.

Zac_A:
Not really surprising and not their fault or a situation of their choosing: DVSA weren’t running tests but training providers were still racking up sales for training during lockdown so naturally there’s something of a backlog.

The training providers near me were shut during lock down

Yes, that isn’t surprising for any reputable training provider.

There was a period of almost 5 months with no driving tests in lockdown 1.0, combined with an additional 4 weeks in lockdown 2.0. Combine the backlog created from that, throw in a reduced number of tests when DVSA returned to work and add the influx of those who have lost their jobs looking to retrain as an LGV driver. It is also not helped by instructor/examiner absence due to sickness, holiday and self-isolation.

There will always be a company who can fit you in next week - but ask yourself why and do your homework before you commit.

We are a training school in South Wales, currently I estimate those who pass their theory tests today will be in Feb/March, and that’s providing there is no further disruption.

Unfortunately we are also restricted with the amount of tests DVSA can currently provide us - even if we took on more staff and more vehicles we would still be limited with additional courses.

Without being too ‘doom and gloom,’ remember that nothing is set in stone at the moment; all it takes is further restrictions, another lockdown, examiner/instructor absence and it can change things again. On the flipside, we have managed to bring some candidates in much sooner due to short-notice cancellations as our diary is changing day by day.

A good training provider is worth waiting for! Good luck :slight_smile:

Wrightrunner:

Zac_A:

Practical testing was suspended and driver training was prohibited during lockdowns 1.0 & 2.0, except for essential workers.

Most training providers were closed unless offering other services such as remote Driver CPC etc.

Wrightrunner:

Being closed for driver training does not mean that the phone lines were closed for taking sales.

Edit: Classroom and remote DCPC have still been running (DVSA backtracked rapidly on their initial ban on classroom DCPC), also ADR still runs during lockdown(s) (the SQA are a bit different from DVSA), as well as DGSA and TMCPC courses. Still plenty of stuff for a Training Provider to be cracking on with.

As above. Every training provider in the country is controlled and limited by the supply of driving tests. When DVSA turned the tests off, the job pretty well stopped. You will find variations; for us we can still offer courses in January due to a very good supply of tests, helfty staff numbers and a large fleet. We’ve worked hard to shorten lead times and invested heavily in that. BUT, if DVSA suddenly suspend testing again for any reason, we’re in the same position as anyone else. It’s all a huge gamble.

Living the dream!

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

BishBashBosh:

There was a period of almost 5 months with no driving tests in lockdown 1.0, combined with an additional 4 weeks in lockdown 2.0. Combine the backlog created from that, throw in a reduced number of tests when DVSA returned to work and add the influx of those who have lost their jobs looking to retrain as an LGV driver. It is also not helped by instructor/examiner absence due to sickness, holiday and self-isolation.

There will always be a company who can fit you in next week - but ask yourself why and do your homework before you commit.

We are a training school in South Wales, currently I estimate those who pass their theory tests today will be in Feb/March, and that’s providing there is no further disruption.

Unfortunately we are also restricted with the amount of tests DVSA can currently provide us - even if we took on more staff and more vehicles we would still be limited with additional courses.

Without being too ‘doom and gloom,’ remember that nothing is set in stone at the moment; all it takes is further restrictions, another lockdown, examiner/instructor absence and it can change things again. On the flipside, we have managed to bring some candidates in much sooner due to short-notice cancellations as our diary is changing day by day.

I took my theory, hazard perception and cpc case studies today, thankfully I passed, I rang my training provider : they said they’re looking at feb however they offered me training in odd days when they have some gaps that way if there’s a cancellation I can be ready. Naturally I said yes so I have my first training day next week.

Flexible training can work perfectly provided it’s not too spread out. Worth asking if you can keep the same truck and instructor, otherwise the training is not likely to be as consistent.

All the very best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Flexible training can work perfectly provided it’s not too spread out. Worth asking if you can keep the same truck and instructor, otherwise the training is not likely to be as consistent.

All the very best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the advice Pete, it’s appreciated I’ll ask when I’m there next week

Wrightrunner:
I took my theory, hazard perception and cpc case studies today, thankfully I passed, I rang my training provider : they said they’re looking at feb however they offered me training in odd days when they have some gaps that way if there’s a cancellation I can be ready. Naturally I said yes so I have my first training day next week.

I have always been an advocate of consecutive training days, however COVID has meant we have had to spread a few courses out during the odd spare days/gaps, providing the customer is happy. It’s actually worked very well, suits many candidates and has proven no disadvantage.

Sound advice above given by Pete also (as always!) :smiley:

Best of luck.

BishBashBosh:

Hi there, just a quick question - what training school are you? I have got my hazard perception and multiple choice tests booked in Merthyr on 2 dates in December, so am weighing up my options on a training provider for the practical next year.

Also, am I right in thinking I only need to pass the hazard perceiption and multiple choice tests in order to take my practical? Or will I need to do the case studies test also?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

Goff118:
Hi there, just a quick question - what training school are you? I have got my hazard perception and multiple choice tests booked in Merthyr on 2 dates in December, so am weighing up my options on a training provider for the practical next year.

Also, am I right in thinking I only need to pass the hazard perceiption and multiple choice tests in order to take my practical? Or will I need to do the case studies test also?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

Hi Paul, I’ve sent you a PM :slight_smile:

I had my first lesson, it went quite well. I did the reversing exercise a few times and that went well too, does anyone have any tips regarding the back of the unit being in the black & yellow box? I.e reference points etc ?

Wrightrunner:
I had my first lesson, it went quite well. I did the reversing exercise a few times and that went well too, does anyone have any tips regarding the back of the unit being in the black & yellow box? I.e reference points etc ?

Used to put a white tippex mark on the rear wheel arch