Bad driving record

I am thinking of start to train to become a driver professionally. When I was younger I had some convictions that got me banned, they are spent convictions, one DD and one dangerous.
Will this be a problem trying to get a job, I saw Menzies advertising for drivers in my area and they did not want people with such a record.
I have a clean license and no points .
Any info would be great, I dont want to spend a lot of money trying to get a license then find no one will employ me

scottishgraham1971:
I am thinking of start to train to become a driver professionally. When I was younger I had some convictions that got me banned, they are spent convictions, one DD and one dangerous.
Will this be a problem trying to get a job, I saw Menzies advertising for drivers in my area and they did not want people with such a record.
Any info would be great, I dont want to spend a lot of money trying to get a license then find no one will employ me

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’d say if they are no longer on your licence and a licence check done by an employer will not reveal your past, you’ll be fine. If however they appear on your driving record, you’re pretty stuffed I’m afraid.

Check yourself. Google ‘licence check’.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Alot will depend how long ago the DD was as it disappears from your licence in from memory 7 years, but you usually have to declare it to insurance companies for 10.

As mentioned, first stop is see what DVLA say on your licence. That’s what employers will look at and if its clean most will be happy.

gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Most won’t take you with any codes like those as their insurance will say no.

I’m not 100% sure if driving schools can take you with a DD or similar on a license, as that might depend on their insurance. Again, if its not on there it should be fine.

Truckulent:

scottishgraham1971:

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’d say if they are no longer on your licence and a licence check done by an employer will not reveal your past, you’ll be fine. If however they appear on your driving record, you’re pretty stuffed I’m afraid.

Check yourself. Google ‘licence check’.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

How do you view your driving record? The license check is easy to find and view.

Like others have said, I suspect it just depends what appears on your online driving licence.

Use the official government website to check what currently shows:

gov.uk/view-driving-licence

As it was a long time ago, I suspect you are clear to take up hgv driving professionally.

One thing I just remembered is when you apply for the licence, you have to fill in a section about past convictions.

Based on whst I’ve read, if you have had convictions, the case might be sent to the Traffic Commissioner. Its hard to find exactly what gets refered, but I could imagine a DD10 would be more likely.

This site mentions it, but I can’t guarantee its reliability. It is mentioned in quite a few places. Easiest way to check would be do medical and send off application forms, and see if they give you a provisional. Just make sure you are truthful aa they could revoke it if you’re not.

hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase … s-driving/

On the licence application, you’re obliged to disclose convictions for overloading and/or drivers’ hours. For a CAT C licence, the whole record must be declared.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
On the licence application, you’re obliged to disclose convictions for overloading and/or drivers’ hours. For a CAT C licence, the whole record must be declared.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

DVLA specifically tell you that they only want to be told about such convictions going back four years, and that they will also take into account all endorsements that appear on your licence (i.e. it doesn’t matter that they are no longer relevant for “totting up” purposes, so depending on how old the OP’s DD and Dangerous driving endorsement are, he might still have to disclose them on his licence application).

As for job applications, once a conviction is “spent” (for the purposes of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act) then you can regard them as not existing unless the job you are applying for is of a specified type which allows them to dig deeper. All our drivers are subject to this enhanced level of convictions checking as we are delivering to vulnerable adults in their homes. The prospective employer has to tell you if this applies to the job you are applying for.