Truckers grub.

What is good to eat and drink when out on the road to keep energy levels up?
I start driving full time in a week or so.
Ive done a couple of days already and noticed i was flagging in the afternoons.

I need to look at my diet as the job i do now means im on my feet 9 hours a day.
Dont want to get fat and have my 1st heart attack in my 50s.

Cheers Rich

Simples. Keep off the wonderful fried stuff. Drink plenty of water. Eat fruit. Try to eat at regular, sensible intervals so far as possible. Avoid snacking.

And yes, I know what I’m talking about. I used to be 23 stone! Lousy job for piling on the weight if you’re not careful. So you do right to consider it all before it’s too late.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

i always take a pack-up with me,sandwiches etc and a bottle of orange and pineapple squash,well diluted of course.i never stop for a burger etc…done that years ago,but didn’t quite make it to Peter’s old weight though!

Rich T:
Ive done a couple of days already and noticed i was flagging in the afternoons.

Is that a lack of energy from hunger?
Are you taking enough breaks? A “power nap” might be better than more food.
It seems that fatigue causes cravings for sugary and fatty foods, so don`t eat more to compensate for tiredness, when it is lack of rest, not lack of food at cause.

Certainly have a good breakfast, but remember to eat all day as well. If you are doing a 12 hour shift, if you think about it even an office worker sitting on his/her behind all day will have had lunch and dinner by the time you have finished your shift, and then you have to get home. Even take two lunches with you and then you might only have to have a snack when you get in.

If you are doing a lot of manual labour as well, that is a different ball game, so be fueling yourself properly all day with plenty of water as well. Obviously different people require different amounts of fuel to keep them going. I generally have four weetabix (or supermarket wheat bisks) or a large bowl of porridge as a kick-off, sometimes toast as well. I can last about six hours on that, but ideally I would stop before that. A couple of nutri-grain can be handy to have quickly at a drop if you are getting hungry.

If you go for the fry-up option, all this means is that you will probably require less throughout the day, so just adjust accordingly. At the end of the day you are looking to match your intake with your exertion calorie-wise, without ever getting too hungry at any point.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I have a packed lunch every day.
Usual stuff, a couple of rolls/sarnies, crisps, oatmeal bar, yogurt etc… but must admit ive always skipped breakfast. Going to address that.
I’ll be watching my weight and maybe have a cheeky fried roll once a week or fortnight if i notice a weight gain.
To be honest, ive now been in a few truck parking areas in service stations and seen a lot of very unhealthy drivers. Not the path i want to take.

Im more interested in food stuffs that give a slow release of energy to keep me at a safe level to drive.

Also need to adjust my sleep pattern from getting up at 6.30am to 4am.

Rich

facebook.com/lorrydriverdotcom

Luck often does some good videos for in cab cooking

Also don’t forget to exercise when you park up weather in service or truck stop park as far as you can to stretch the legs walk round as that is also important

If you are on facebook there is a Truckers that run page ( it is for all btw ) loads of help tips & info