TACHO Royal Mail

Chris Cooke:
I know I am a bit late to this but just wanted to explain manual entries. Basically the period between your start time and physically putting your card in the tacho and the time between ejecting your card and getting your finish time after debriefing are unaccounted for on your card and tachomaster if you don’t do manual entries when you insert your card each day. This can cause a problem when companies are audited or if you ever get stopped by the dvsa etc.

The way we are trained to do it is say your start time is 0300, that is the time you started work so when you get to your vehicle at say 03.10 and insert your card, press ok when the tacho says 1M manual entry? Yes, change the date to your last shift date and it will show the time you ejected your card, select other work (cross hammers) by pressing the number 1 button then change the time you ejected to your actual finish time.

Now select rest (the bed symbol) by pressing the number 1 button again and change the time to your shift start time today, then change the symbol to cross hammers again (other work), the tacho should now show the current time and click ok, then it will say confirm manual entry, yes no, if you select yes it will store if you select no it show each entry you have just done by pressing ok to scroll through, it is always a good idea to select no first when it asks you to confirm and double check your entry is correct before submitting it, remember to click OK on each section of your entry after changing the mode date and time

Sorry if thats long winded, best way I could explain it lol

And just to add, you don’t need to change the mode to the bed symbol before ejecting your card, just eject the card and then you manually enter the rest period as above when doing your manual entry the following shift, if you don’t do manual entries tachomaster will assume your rest period itself, so it’s always important to get into the habit of doing manual entries to avoid accidental infringements.

Also some days you may be a spare driver and not physically enter a vehicle, you still have to account for this time as other work via a manual entry so your card data matches up with what you have done physically, hope that makes sense