Tacko question.

Morning all.

Got a question about my tacko card.

As it is, im a car mechanic looking to get into driving.

Passed my test just after lockdown.
A friend of mine is retiring soon and ive got his job when i leave.

So, being as i have zero experience ive booked time off work and been out on the road with him.
Getting some practice in before i start full time.

I have done 2 days in September and 2 days last week.
Totaling about 15hrs.
Thing is, the boss hasnt asked for my card to download.
Is this a problem?
Should i get the card to him asap?
Looks like i maybe starting full time in 3-4 weeks.

Rich

Hi
I wouldn’t worry. Ours are download automatically from the head unit to the office, 68 plate Volvo. That maybe the case for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You present your card for download - that is your responsibility as a driver
Make a note in a diary of when you did that

Does he realise you’ve been driving? Some gaffers can be oblivious to what’s actually going on.

I’m guessing you’ve got your DQC? It’s not uncommon amongst mechanics

If you don’t have your DQC and he doesn’t know you’ve been driving, I’d keep stumm about it as it’s illegal (but too late to worry about it now :smiley: )

If you’re all legal, then just reminding him about it is (I reckon) enough to be seen as you fulfilling your requirements to “present your card for downloading”, the rest is on him.

Yes ive got all 3 cards.
And yes , the boss gave permission to drive. In fact, he insisted.
Wants me to drive as much as possible before im out on the road on my own.
All legal and legit.

More concerned about the info on my card being downloaded and getting an infraction(?) for surrendering my card too late.

Rich

Zac_A:
If you’re all legal, then just reminding him about it is (I reckon) enough to be seen as you fulfilling your requirements to “present your card for downloading”, the rest is on him.

Sounds correct to me.
“make their cards available for downloading by their employer”
from
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … raph-rules

You, the driver, must make your card available. The actual downloading is the companys job. Remind the boss, but dont fret about it.

P.S. You don`t say when in September? Only necessary every 28 days.

It will have been over 28 days but will check tomorrow the exact dates.

Rich T:
More concerned about the info on my card being downloaded and getting an infraction(?) for surrendering my card too late.

Rich

Unless someone knows better, my understanding is that there is no infringement possible for not downloading your card, and once 28 days have passed, even if there had been any kind of infringement actually committed, you’re in the clear.

I’m fairly sure there are some agency jobs I’ve been on where my card was never downloaded, and I know with 100% absolute certainty there are many agency days I’ve done on analogue charts where the charts were not handed back to the employer after 42 days, as is required.

Download at least every 28 days. An operator should be on top of it and be able to see who has and hasn’t downloaded recently (but you may not be on the radar because there may be no record of you until you download for the first time). Agency workers may be asked to download more often (like every day) because it is always possible that they may never return for whatever reason.

I wouldn’t worry because the operator should have shown you where to download, whether it requires handing your card over to someone or if you can do it self-service.

The operator may run into trouble come an audit because there are also vehicle downloads that require to be done so it would probably flag up as missing data. I really don’t think it would come back to bite the driver to be honest, as the operator would have had plenty of time to request a download.

August 27 and 28th.
October 15 and 16th