RM 7.5 T or DX Freight?

Hi Guys,

Just passed my CPC yesterday!!!

I have an offer from RM (7.5T driver just local trunking work) with Agency paying 10.50 hr

Also I have an interview with DX Freight today (7.5T Driver) similar wage structure.

I need to weigh up the pro’s and cons of which one to go for?

Royal Mail will be paying parity wages from Nov - Jan, and I like the sound of the work, but work will drop off around Mid Jan - March I reckon

DX Freight I know the industry having done 10 yrs with DPD as a Owner Driver 3.5 T work. Again this type of work can run you into the ground minimum 50 drop per day + a few collections, but it is direct with DX freight which is heavy stuff etc.

Any feedback will be much appreciated?

cheers Nick

RM everytime, if you can get enough hours.

Parity on RM pays after you working there for 12 weeks. You only need to do 1 shift per week for it to count, so in theory, you could do DX 4 times a week and 1 RM shift on the fifth working day for 12 weeks, then switch to RM on the higher rates.

RM always goes very quiet around Feb-March time around here

You don’t work at RM - You attend :wink:

If you have your C, are they not offering you C work for RM in addition to 7.5T ?

RM… dont bother looking at anybody else, especially as its getting towards the end of the year…[emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies guys, really helpful.

DX took 7 weeks to offer me the Job and another 2 weeks to get me in, in the end I made the decision that the communication and process was really poor and I don’t want to be messed about.

RM turned me down following a job offer from the agency, and then called me back again and offered me the role again. the assessment and I will be professional about it was really poorly handled. No organisation, No social distancing no masks. I left halfway through the assessment. The cab hadn’t been cleaned for 6 weeks!!! poor conditions poor 1st impression.

I have applied to Hovis (7.5 T) delivering to stores etc. is this mainly shopfront or backdoors?

What is the pay like? i’m guessing its 10 hours daily etc.

How many drops per day on average any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick

nick68:

DX took 7 weeks to offer me the Job and another 2 weeks to get me in, in the end I made the decision that the communication and process was really poor and I don’t want to be messed about.

RM turned me down following a job offer from the agency, and then called me back again and offered me the role again. the assessment and I will be professional about it was really poorly handled. No organisation, No social distancing no masks. I left halfway through the assessment. The cab hadn’t been cleaned for 6 weeks!!! poor conditions poor 1st impression.

I have applied to Hovis (7.5 T) delivering to stores etc. is this mainly shopfront or backdoors?

What is the pay like? i’m guessing its 10 hours daily etc.

How many drops per day on average any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick

Great start. Do you want to work or don’t you? Stop being a melt and just get on with it. There’ll be drivers who’d sell their granny to get in with RM full time.

Take a job .If you dont like it walk away thats for the cv.If you become too picky you wont find anyone to take you on.

nick68:
RM turned me down following a job offer from the agency,

and then called me back again and offered me the role again. the assessment and I will be professional about it was really poorly handled. No organisation, No social distancing no masks. I left halfway through the assessment. The cab hadn’t been cleaned for 6 weeks!!! poor conditions poor 1st impression.

Am I reading this correctly,
So the assessment via the agency was cancelled. Then RM offered you a job direct with them and you left halfway through !?

If you didn’t like RM, you might not enjoy being a driver as RM generally have some of the best conditions in the industry. and 7.5T is arguably some of the easiest work with them, outside of London

Is this your first driving job or something?

As Mick said, point me in the direction of the job and I’ll grab the shovel :laughing:

Parity pay at RM is a good option to see you through to January, but a full-time job would surely take precedence if that is what you are looking for. Depending on the contract with the local agency, RM may reserve the right to send home with a minimum four hours, which is possibly something else to consider.

I have done the RM work and it is okay, but where I was you didn’t really get a run, it is more a case of hanging around and taking anything which the normal driver can’t fit on. Quite a bit of empty cage collection too, which I didn’t mind, but some drivers don’t like it.

You turned down RM? :open_mouth: