Studying for Theory Test - Driving Hours & Tacho Help!

Hello,

I’m right at the beginning of my journey into gaining C+E licence, and currently studying for my theory test.

I have been given learning material to work through by the training provider, but 99% of it was just common sense road use, and barely a fraction of it was to do with the rules surrounding driving hours and tachograph use. I’m now on practice questions, and lots are coming up on these two subjects and I simply don’t know the answers.

Particularly struggling with driving hours, in regard to reduced daily rest, and extending a working day. Also how working hours and driving hours follow two different sets of rules.
Also with tachographs charts, there seems to be lots of rules about what do when you lose one, and who to report it to, and when to report it, and who issues a new one, and lots of fiddly red tape. None of it makes sense, and none of it was included in the learning material.

Does anyone have any ideas on good places to actually LEARN this stuff so I don’t fluff the test?

Thanks

Hope these help

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Put the hours in. Google mock HGV test, do as many multiple choice questions as possible, note down any questions you get wrong and systematically look up the answers. Repeat until achieving pass mark in all tests. Only buy an official book if you want to have a lighter wallet.

I recommend drivingtheory4all.co.uk

Concentrate on the EU rules as Domestic Rules dont come up much in the theory test.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

DBr:
Hello,

I’m right at the beginning of my journey into gaining C+E licence, and currently studying for my theory test.

I have been given learning material to work through by the training provider, but 99% of it was just common sense road use, and barely a fraction of it was to do with the rules surrounding driving hours and tachograph use. I’m now on practice questions, and lots are coming up on these two subjects and I simply don’t know the answers.

Particularly struggling with driving hours, in regard to reduced daily rest, and extending a working day. Also how working hours and driving hours follow two different sets of rules.
Also with tachographs charts, there seems to be lots of rules about what do when you lose one, and who to report it to, and when to report it, and who issues a new one, and lots of fiddly red tape. None of it makes sense, and none of it was included in the learning material.

Does anyone have any ideas on good places to actually LEARN this stuff so I don’t fluff the test?

Thanks

First of Welcome! all the best on your journey

It is a bit of a shock when you look at how regulated your working time is as a HGV driver the first time you start to look at it, its best not try to go at it all in one go, am only a noob as well but will try to help, to learn it getting things wrong on the practice tests, the dvsa books and the new truckers handbook, as well as you tube and this forum were really good at getting head around it all. Once it starts to fall into place you see how things all kinda link up, still all a bit mad.

stuwozere1:
Hope these help]

Thanks

I seem to learn more effectively when I can understand the reasoning behind something. I obviously know why drivers need rest, but why these hours? Why can the driving hours be extended, but only twice a week? Why can the daily rest be reduced, but only 3 times per week? It seems totally arbitrary. Is there any internal logic?

Peter Smythe:
I recommend drivingtheory4all.co.uk

Concentrate on the EU rules as Domestic Rules dont come up much in the theory test.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks - taking a look now

Why can the driving hours be extended, but only twice a week? Why can the daily rest be reduced, but only 3 times per week? It seems totally arbitrary. Is there any internal logic?

Someone in Brussels thought it made sense. But, during unusual times, the rules are frequently relaxed - making a total mockery of them IMO. eg food delivery trucks during Covid.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

DBr:
Thanks

I seem to learn more effectively when I can understand the reasoning behind something. I obviously know why drivers need rest, but why these hours? Why can the driving hours be extended, but only twice a week? Why can the daily rest be reduced, but only 3 times per week? It seems totally arbitrary. Is there any internal logic?

Extending the driving twice just seems to be what they have come up with. It perhaps just gives the driver a bit of leeway twice a week if he/she gets delayed. I think the idea is not to plan to ever use this driving time but it may help the driver avoid an unscheduled night out.

The 56 maximum per week can be broken down into days (max 6 in a week), four of which would be standard 9 hours maximum and the other two 10 hours extended driving, equalling 56. 9+9+9+9+10+10=56.

In terms of daily rest, again it seems to just allow a bit of leeway, without allowing the driver to have minimum rest constantly all week. In other words you shouldn’t really be planning to use it, but it is there if absolutely necessary.

DBr:

stuwozere1:
Hope these help]

Thanks

The main reason above all else is to allow the driver adequate rest and to stop employers taking advantage. The reductions are available for unforseen circumstances, although many use the reductions to enable a little bit more work to be done. Where I work a reduction is up to the driver, but others it could be planned into the day.

DBr:
…Why can the daily rest be reduced, but only 3 times per week?

3 times between weekly rest periods not 3 times a week