jono12:
Hi all, any one done a assessment for Eddie stobert

Yes

ETS:

jono12:
Hi all, any one done a assessment for Eddie stobert

Yes

Very helpfull.
I have never done an assesment but i would say just use your common sense, check the oil and water, if you dont know how to on that particular lorry, tell the assesor you havnt driven one of these before, and ask them to show you, then complete the rest of your walk round checks and even ask the assesor to check your brake lights, then i suppose its just go for a drive and carry out some manouvers.

I’ve done an assessment for DHL once upon a time. They’re probably looking for: gentle acceleration, braking in good time, good use of momentum, block changing if you’re in a manual vehicle, use of cruise control on motorways/dual carriageways and consideration for other road users, especially Vulnerable Road Users (cyclists, pedestrians etc)

I have. I drove worse than I have ever driven any lorry ever, including when I was learning, and I still got the job - it seemed to be more about attitude than aptitude.

Basically, behave like it’s your driving test (but don’t be nervous as they’re not too fussy).

Did you check oil, water, hook up trailer, or just a drive, thanks for your reply.

Did a basic walk round check, didn’t need to go as far as checking oil and water. Trailer was already hooked up. Did include a reverse

Thanks for your help

jono12:
Did you check oil, water, hook up trailer, or just a drive, thanks for your reply.

In my case I was the last one for the day so the assessor said ‘‘Don’t bother’’ but you do have to at least mention you’re intending to check these. You’ll have to hook up a trailer, once that’s done make sure to check your height (should be on the front of the trailer) and adjust the in cab height meter if different from the current overall height. Ask the assessor if that’s the correct height because different trucks may be higher/lower at the rear end affecting the overall.

Then it’s a drive around (if you haven’t driven since your test you can ask him to do a few spins around the yard to get the hang of the truck/trailer before you get on the road). Keep your eyes on road signs in particular look out for weight limits, low bridge signs, speed limits etc. Then it’s a reverse back in the yard and unhook the trailer once done.

Oh and don’t leave your engine idling when in the yard as this may give your assessor a heart attack. Apparently they get in trouble with management if they’re seen doing that.