Advice required please

So, I’ve posted a few times on here - my situation is this :

Me:
Agricultural Background. Have driven just about every type of Farm machinery available in the UK.
Have worked for farmers and shunted artics and rigids around the yards and private roads in the past.
Then, a 25 year software career (with driving all of the above throughout - but no HGV licence) have almost completed my C licence (hopefully 2nd week october when i do my practical).
I’m 50, and currently doing IT consultancy contract work remotely. Which is sporadic.
What are the actual chances of anyone employing me as a C (and soon to be C + E after that) based on the above.
Interested to hear from any employers on here / transport managers etc. WHat are your thoughts about me as a potential employee based on the above.
I am well dressed / groomed. Fit and healthy. At my ideal Weight height ratio. Well mannered for the most part.

Given the state of the economy, I actually think this may be a good move. Drivers will be in demand unless they replace HGV drivers with automated self driving transport systems, (which isn’t as far fetched as it sounds.)

Thoughts / Anyone ?

Not impossible to get a job as a newbie but most are agency so no guaranteed wage

There is no driver shortage and not likely to be anytime soon

It seems employers look to see how long you have held the relevant category on your licence as a benchmark

whereabouts in the country are you?

carryfast-yeti:
whereabouts in the country are you?

Oxfordshire

Where possible, if you can offer a skill (apart from a driving licence) that is relevant to the job and not in abundant supply, you make yourself very employable. In your case I would suggest contacting suppliers of agricultural machinery.

After close to 50 years of driving, I would be totally useless if I had to unload a combine harvester! So you are a better bet, in some ways, than a very experienced driver.

If your experience runs to plant as well, so much the better.

Just a thought, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do it then when you are inside look for IT jobs in transport offices. You can then do the driving shift here and there.

Someone like Bishopsgate might have a benefit from your IT experience depending on what the drivers could be expected to do.

Hi I’m also 50 and have managed to get a job with a haulage company starting with 7.5 until I pass my class 2 and 1 perhaps I’ve been lucky or the right place at the right time but opportunities are there just keep looking good luck Andy

Andy1969:
Hi I’m also 50 and have managed to get a job with a haulage company starting with 7.5 until I pass my class 2 and 1 perhaps I’ve been lucky or the right place at the right time but opportunities are there just keep looking good luck Andy

Thanks Andy (and everyone else)
Are you enjoying it ? What did you do beforehand ?

Riddlemethis:

Andy1969:

Thanks Andy (and everyone else)
Are you enjoying it ? What did you do beforehand ?

Yeah it’s good fun it’s a small family run business but a great bunch working for them before this I was a Postie for 20 odd years glad I’m finally doing something I should of done years ago