Advice appreciated

Hi all I’m in the process of starting my LGV career and was wondering if you good guys and girls could help out on a couple of things

Firstly what footwear / trousers would you recommend for driving as in comfort and durability and best place to purchase

Secondly can anyone recommend or advise on driving agencies around the Cambridgeshire/Essex borders

Thanks in advance

Andy

Steel toecap boot, try a website called Scruffs
Combat trousers, they’re hard wearing and plenty of pockets

As for agencies etc, sorry I’m in South Yorkshire [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Your best bet is to actually say you don’t have boots when you go to the agency. If you actually don’t have any then you would be telling the truth. As your employer they should be providing boots and hi-vis at the very least, because it is PPE. Some might say a hi-vis winter coat too.

Screwfix is about 100 yards away from my flat, I got some Site trousers from there. They’re ok.
Had em 2 years and just about ready to get some more.
Probably going with a different brand because I need more pockets.

Footwear…I have two pairs.
One pair is a proper lightweight, soft fabric, breathable, summer thingys. Not waterproof though.
Look on Amazon, that’s where I got em from.
And another, waterproof pair, for those rainy days. Local shoe shop, 12 quid :smiley:

If you’re just starting, and I’ am NOT an expert, but I do know that when you go for a job interview take, or wear, steel toed boots and a hi viz vest, that’s the absolute minimum you need.
If you don’t, they’ll tell you to go home.

I’ll second that, go dressed ready to work, you’ll look the part and it makes the employer see you can take things seriously. My last pair of work boots I got from Tool Station (Portwest brand, £29.99) still going strong over a year later. Lidl often sell really hard wearing work trousers.

We once had a guy wander in off the street lookig for work - no high viz, no boots and not sticking to the marked walkways. He said “Got any jobs?” We looked at him and said “Not for you…” :unamused:

I wear Scruffs work trousers - They have a few pockets big enough to put gloves in etc. I’ve got them from Screwfix and Wickes in the past - Shop around to see who has them on sale at the time. They dry very quick after washing.

When I started off, I had some dirt cheap steel toe caps boots with steel plates in the bottom. They were “Trucker” branded but I had them from previous work in a machine shop. I still have them but they weigh a ton and not comfortable at all after a 10 hour shift. Great for ladder work and power washing etc.

I now wear Timberland Pro boots. I have 1 pair that are properly waterproof (Titan WP) and a lighter non-waterproof boot (Titan Endurance) - I find 1 pair lasts me about 2 years but my job involves a bit of walking compared to the RDC drivers. The summers are very lightweight, almost as light as trainers Both pairs have a composite toe cap, not steel, so they are lightweight in comparison and wont set off a metal detector if you’re doing airport work. They can be a challenge to find in the UK but there’s the odd place that sells them online if you hunt enough. They don’t come cheap at around £120 a pair but makes doing 15 hour shifts etc a breeze.

If you don’t have wide feet, Wolverine boots are pretty comfy and have a 30 day money back comfort guarantee. You can get them from Arco.

An agency has a duty of care to supply you with PPE, which is usually a hi viz waistcoat style and safety shoes/boots that meet the required standards - Don’t be fooled into thinking they will be comfortable or durable

You’ll want to get yourself some gloves too for handling the load/strapping/tieing stuff etc (I find the ones from Screwfix last a few months before holes and tears appear and wont freeze you hands if handling frozen cages) I have a second pair I got from my driver training school years back that are cheap but vinyl fronted for fuelling up and trailer swapping etc and don’t absorb diesel and grease - They’ve lasted surprisingly well.

Building up a kit bag as such myself while getting training etc started, getting bits and pieces slowly built up, even going to go as far as have some spare tacho rolls, defect book, clipboard, glass cleaner and cloths, pens, torch, diary, phone charger, Bluetooth headset etc, while yes its all going to get provided etc for you in a job, having spare stuff handy in any job

Besides you never know turn up asking for work/in for an assessment etc on a Monday, a driver has chucked his dummy out and quit, office staff not in, some dipstick the warehouse just knocked a load of pallets over, and a couple trucks are out of action and the poor git that is supposed to be speaking to you( a bloody newbie at that)/do the assessment etc is having to try and fix all that and just as they show you to the truck their phone is going nuts (We have all been there!)

Which newbie do you think is going to be looking better from that start, the guy that grab his kitbag, has boots, hi vis etc all on good to go started todo your walkaround checks, and cleaning the slightly grubby mirrors or the guy standing ■■■■■■■ about on phone/trying to chat up the office staff etc waiting for him to come speak to him again?

Thats my take on it all anyway