Getting C licence witout cpc?

100% not for a job before people mention cpc as I will be exempt from needing it due to not driving for any sort of work. Atleast that is what I have gathered from the gov.uk website.

How hard is the actual test?

I have been driving 8 years, got my trailer licence at 19, been driving jcbs, dumper trucks, road rollers and excavators since 15 (countryside life!). Not too worried about the size as my Range Rover with the plant trailer is 10.6m long and about 2.1m wide which I take down single track lanes and through offroad woodland tracks, gov.uk say the truck only has to be 8m long and 2.4m wide which is barely more!

If I was to do my theory first then find a company for a day + use of their truck for the test would this be madness? Would a company even offer this?

Only want it incase I ever need to drive a truck for house move, picking up a new digger etc. So far mum and her boyfriend have been called on as they have grandfather 7.5 ton license, still had to pay people to bring in the larger things like the portacabin. If I was to go to the effort of getting the 7.5 ton test it seems madness to not just get the full blown C class licence.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. You are correct about not needing cpc from the description you have given. How hard is the test? Some folks find it very straightforward. Others find it extremely difficult. Most come somewhere inbetween. Once again, from what you’ve said, I would hope you would not find it too tricky.

No reputable trainer will let you book one day and test without an assessment. Be under no illusion that, although you may not find it difficult, there is a lot to learn. I strongly suggest you book at least two assessment drives. This will give you a feel for what is involved both for learning and cost. And you may end up with very little training required - who knows?

Naturally, I would be happy to accommodate this if you wished. No idea of your location. But folks come to us from all over the UK. Presumably there’s a reason for this.

Our CAT C are all 8.2 metres long - just within the limits. Why make life difficult? Also all auto of course.

Happy to answer any questions or give advice regardless of whether you choose to use my services.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

In regards to the test is it the basic test you would take in a car/ car + trailer? Check you can reverse then do a half hour drive round the local roads with a hill start thrown in? Or is it more in depth like check you can strap down loads and pre drive safety checks?

When I did my trailer test I phoned a local company and went out for a hour before my test to get a feel for length/the car. Couldnt use my own as it was an automatic and not a box trailer! I dont think I would get away with it being this easy again sadly haha.

I am in the north of Scotland up near Inverness so quite a way away unfortunately. Not to say I couldnt do it, just I would need to sit the test when I was down as its a good 1000 mile round trip.

I assume if you pass in an automatic you can only use automatics, or is it different to the rules for cars?

Currently I should just get my provisional and do my theorys then sort out getting an assessment drive done then? Local companies offer week long courses which feels overkill to pass a driving test only. Not trying to sound cocky just feel I have an advantage with my prior driving of machinary.

In regards to the test is it the basic test you would take in a car/ car + trailer? Check you can reverse then do a half hour drive round the local roads with a hill start thrown in? Or is it more in depth like check you can strap down loads and pre drive safety checks?

When I did my trailer test I phoned a local company and went out for a hour before my test to get a feel for length/the car. Couldnt use my own as it was an automatic and not a box trailer! I dont think I would get away with it being this easy again sadly haha.

I am in the north of Scotland up near Inverness so quite a way away unfortunately. Not to say I couldnt do it, just I would need to sit the test when I was down as its a good 1000 mile round trip.

I assume if you pass in an automatic you can only use automatics, or is it different to the rules for cars?

Currently I should just get my provisional and do my theorys then sort out getting an assessment drive done then? Local companies offer week long courses which feels overkill to pass a driving test only. Not trying to sound cocky just feel I have an advantage with my prior driving of machinary.

The test is the reversing exercise (same as for BE). Before that you’ll answer 5 show me, tell me questions. Then a drive minimum of 1 hour. You wont actually strap down loads (that’s closer to Mod 4 - driver cpc). But to answer the show me, tell me questions, you’ll need a reasonable knowledge and be familiar with the vehicle being used.

I would suggest, as previously mentioned, a couple of assessment drives. Most trainers offer block bookings, normally around 4 days with test on day 5. However, I dont know of any that wont accommodate a shorter training period where it’s appropriate.

Distance is or isn’t an issue. We currently have a candidate from Shetland on our books and many, many folks come from north of the border.

Provided you have a full car licence, passing on an auto truck will give you a full manual licence.

Dont bother with the theory tests; once you have your provisional, go for the assessment drives suggested.

A word to the wise; I have had candidates with similar experience and they have been fine with 4 or 6 hours training. I’ve also had the same, experienced candidates who have struggled to complete the course within the normal timeframe. This is why the assessment is vital. Once you’ve had a couple of assessments, you’ll know if you’re being stuffed up. And no reputable trainer will do this.

Search out reviews before you arrange assessments.

I hope all this helps. Always here if any further queries.

Peter Smythe:

The test is the reversing exercise (same as for BE). Before that you’ll answer 5 show me, tell me questions. Then a drive minimum of 1 hour. You wont actually strap down loads (that’s closer to Mod 4 - driver cpc). But to answer the show me, tell me questions, you’ll need a reasonable knowledge and be familiar with the vehicle being used.

I would suggest, as previously mentioned, a couple of assessment drives. Most trainers offer block bookings, normally around 4 days with test on day 5. However, I dont know of any that wont accommodate a shorter training period where it’s appropriate.

Distance is or isn’t an issue. We currently have a candidate from Shetland on our books and many, many folks come from north of the border.

Provided you have a full car licence, passing on an auto truck will give you a full manual licence.

Dont bother with the theory tests; once you have your provisional, go for the assessment drives suggested.

A word to the wise; I have had candidates with similar experience and they have been fine with 4 or 6 hours training. I’ve also had the same, experienced candidates who have struggled to complete the course within the normal timeframe. This is why the assessment is vital. Once you’ve had a couple of assessments, you’ll know if you’re being stuffed up. And no reputable trainer will do this.

Search out reviews before you arrange assessments.

I hope all this helps. Always here if any further queries.

Ok, I had thought banging out the theory early would be easiest to then just need to get the driving done.

There is a company offering a medical for £55 online which is done in a hotel, does this sound normal/acceptable price wise? I thought you would need to go to an actual gp for it.
d4drivers.uk/locations/inverness/

Good to know about the automatics being ok as that wasnt the case with my trailer test. There are only 3 companies (2 of which are running 1990s trucks) near me which offer training so choice is rather limited. I guess if you can drive a older truck you can drive anything!

Thanks for answering my questions :slight_smile:

D4 drivers is legit did my medical a few weeks ago, In Aberdeen am looking at going down to Peter for my training, their reputation seems to be well worth the drive and little bit extra wonga

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

What?!?! 20+ years old. I hope you’re joking. I get rid of mine at 4 or 5 years old. Unlikely they’ll be auto - just another hurdle.

Good luck,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
What?!?! 20+ years old. I hope you’re joking. I get rid of mine at 4 or 5 years old. Unlikely they’ll be auto - just another hurdle.

Good luck,

A volvo fm12 on a Y reg and a Renault of some sort also on a Y plate. These are the main trucks shown on their websites when I looked up local companies.

mcpherson.ltd.uk/training/wp … 70x313.jpg

flic.kr/p/fCFoqv

The most known company up here have some newer trucks being like 2010 onwards generally with a few older things knocking about too.

Of course it is possible that they are beautifully maintained and drive as they should. (As a comparison, none of our CAT C vehicles has exceeded 100,000 kms. Most have done no more than 30,000 kms. They drive as they should).

I’ll lay money the trucks pictured are manual - probably range change. As said, if they drive properly, apart from being an added hurdle, it might not be an issue.

It is a fact that it will take longer to master a manual than auto. It’s another fact that folks fail on “use of gears” from time to time. Cant happen with auto. The rules changed to allow auto in 2014. (For interest, the first batch of auto trucks purchased new in 2014 are no longer on fleet.)

Make sure you check out reversing facilities. I wont mention instructor qualifications - even less training centre accreditation.

Not all training is the same. You pay your money, you take your choice.

The Tomish Training website seems to be down, so dont know what’s happening there. The blue FM could be a great truck. I had a T reg (4 years older) that went off fleet in 2006.

This is the website for tomish, it loads for me.

tomish-training.co.uk

The company which most people use (atleast from what I see on the road and is mentioned on the recommended list here) is MD Fiddes

mdfiddes-training.co.uk/

But as you say it makes sense to just do the test in an automatic for the sake of ease. If they dont have one going further from home may be worth it.

Yes it loads for me as well. Dont know what I did wrong before!

The MD Fiddes site is out of date so check details verbally before committing.