Start driving at 53

Hi All. Just after a bit of advice.
This may have been covered in previous posts, but basically I’m 53 years old who did class c + e about 12 years ago, and whilst I did a bit of local driving at weekends I never pursued it as a career.
I’ve mainly worked in offices throughout my working life, but am seriously considering trying to go into driving as a career.

I’m under no illusions about the work, the hassles and the hours being long but am more worried if 53 is a bit old to be making such a big change. I. Not the most confident person either so how do you guys get around the worries of getting stuck or struggling to access places. This is something that plays on my mind.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers. Andy

You will soon find out if you want to make a career out of it.

As for getting stuck and finding your way about buy a road map with bridge heights .
Plan your route and street view your delivery address buy a decent sat-nav.

Good luck.

Ay up Use A Name.
I’m 57. I’ve got a good job that is secure and offers excitement but like you, I wanna be a trucker. I’ve got max 10 years left to work and am thinking of movin on and doing something I want to do for my swansong.
Look on youtube at people like deady and that tells me, work hard, crack on and enjoy yourself. We are at work 10, 12, 14 hours a day. Why do a job you dont want to get up for.
MY biggest concern is, getting a licence is one thing but driving around the country, look at all the different trailers, strops, types of loads…dvsa does NOT prepare people for the reality of trucking but hey, have a go like I am starting Monday, and learn on the go.
When you come to be dribbling in your comode chair, you may well regret the things you DIDNT do, not what you tried but failed!!!

Most sensible drivers will have worried about getting stuck or lost. It comes with the territory and you’ll get over it once you’ve proved to yourself that you can do a week’s work without major drama.

My advice is to try for some weekend work to get your hand back in.

Good luck with it, Pete

Thanks very much guys. Really appreciate your comments and advice. Next step is CPC :frowning: and a bit of agency work then! Maybe see you out there!! Stay safe all. Andy

AndyHall:
Hi All. Just after a bit of advice.
This may have been covered in previous posts, but basically I’m 53 years old who did class c + e about 12 years ago, and whilst I did a bit of local driving at weekends I never pursued it as a career.
I’ve mainly worked in offices throughout my working life, but am seriously considering trying to go into driving as a career.

I’m under no illusions about the work, the hassles and the hours being long but am more worried if 53 is a bit old to be making such a big change. I. Not the most confident person either so how do you guys get around the worries of getting stuck or struggling to access places. This is something that plays on my mind.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers. Andy

the best way to build up your confidence,is to get yourself out of a place that you’ve been stuck in,safely,and without causing any damage :slight_smile: we’ve all been there…just take your time and assess the situation first.ask the planner for Risk Assessments for any delivery or collection you are going to :slight_smile:

I’m 53… and started driving professionally last November.
I was scared of getting stuck etc…twice I’ve missed signs for low bridges. (One in a town centre with 100 yards warning… )
Take your time. Don’t just follow satnav and watch for signs!

If you take a wrong turn…take a minute and have a look round. Don’t allow other idiots to rush you; you’ll clear the road far quicker if you don’t flap.

I’ve found that I learn quicker from the mistakes as you’ve no choice but to figure it out.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

carryfast-yeti and Monkey 241 thanks very much guys