Confused

Hi guys this is probably a question for pete

I’m trying to decide to either just do 35 hours for the dcpc and start driving again
Or to do my class 2
If I decide to do class 2 would I have to do mods 1 to 4 or is it just mods 2&4 or would I be better off doing the 35 hours first then jumping straight in to lessons

chrisg1000:

I’m trying to decide to either just do 35 hours for the dcpc and start driving again
Or to do my class 2
If I decide to do class 2 would I have to do mods 1 to 4 or is it just mods 2&4 or would I be better off doing the 35 hours first then jumping straight in to lessons

Do you already have LGV C1 on your licence :question: - if not then you cannot do the 35 hours until you have passed mods 2+4
If you do have LGV C1 then you can do the 35 hours now and when going for LGV C you will not be required to do mods 2+4

Like ROG said.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

chrisg1000:

Or to do my class 2

Do you already have LGV C1 on your licence :question: - if not then you cannot do the 35 hours until you have passed mods 2+4
If you do have LGV C1 then you can do the 35 hours now and when going for LGV C you will not be required to do mods 2+4

Hi rog
I have g/f rights for 7.5t which I use to drive but I havnt done any dcpc yet

With grandfather rights you have the choice of completing 35 hours OR Mod 2 + Mod 4.

It’s much easier to complete the 35 hours as the DVLA computer will often not allow you to book a Mod 2. There are ways of dealing with this but it can be convoluted.

If you have your provisional C, you can try booking a Mod 2 test on gov.uk.

Let me know if I can help further.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

just do the 35 hours now then it is all sorted for the next 5 years :bulb: :smiley:
After getting the 5 year DQC you can then do the next 35 hours at your leisure over the next 5 years

To clarify, those with grandfather rights (car test passed before 1997 and C1 entitlement on licence)

1. Take Medical
  2. Apply for provisional
  3. Take Mod 1
  4. Take Mod 3
  5. Do 35 hr CPC

My understanding was the above to be the best route in terms of time and cost?

Then I read the following on Trucknet:

“Once you’ve taken and passed your part 2 + 4 (+3) you automatically get your drivers qualification (CPC) card which will last you 5 years. If you’re looking to do your Class 1 soon after, depending on the trainer you go to, those hours for Class 1 training can go towards your CPC for the next 5 year period (you need 35 hours total every 5 years) Not all trainers are able to credit you the Class 1 training hours for CPC hours.If your trainer is able to credit you those hours. - meaning you’re sorted on CPC training for 10 years ”

If the above is correct, and a person wishes to do class 2 and 1 back to back, should they still do the 35 hrs CPC rather than Mods 2 and 4?

HYG:
To clarify, those with grandfather rights (car test passed before 1997 and C1 entitlement on licence)

1. Take Medical
  2. Apply for provisional
  3. Take Mod 1
  4. Take Mod 3
  5. Do 35 hr CPC

My understanding was the above to be the best route in terms of time and cost?

Then I read the following on Trucknet:

“Once you’ve taken and passed your part 2 + 4 (+3) you automatically get your drivers qualification (CPC) card which will last you 5 years. If you’re looking to do your Class 1 soon after, depending on the trainer you go to, those hours for Class 1 training can go towards your CPC for the next 5 year period (you need 35 hours total every 5 years) Not all trainers are able to credit you the Class 1 training hours for CPC hours.If your trainer is able to credit you those hours. - meaning you’re sorted on CPC training for 10 years ”

If the above is correct, and a person wishes to do class 2 and 1 back to back, should they still do the 35 hrs CPC rather than Mods 2 and 4?

YES
If the training provider has the practical courses approved for dcpc hours then some of the 35 hours can be gained from doing C and CE
Cannot do back to back as licence needs to come back from DVLA after passing C to show examiner for CE test

You probably have D1 not for hire or reward (minibus). If you make sure modules count for both lorry and bus, you would also have a valid CPC for driving buses. You would still need to pass the appropriate theory and practical tests to drive a bus commercially, but probably better to have the CPC than not.

Got to be careful with bus entitlements shortening you 5 years of CPC. I sat D1 pre CPC then got 5 years of CPC when it came in. Years later I did C and CE and the modules to get my CPC card. At the same time I did D, cos why not? Didn’t cost much cos if done the train ing for C and CE.

But if I do my CPC ahead of time, the D category will cause the 35 hours to be taken against that lisence, shortening my 5 years. Never use the D catagory at the moment so it’s be a bit of a waste.

Guess it’s an odd one, but worth looking out for. Thought I’d do my 35 hours in lockdown, but had to leave the last day off