Newbie - new pass class 1 unable to find work in west midlan

Hi all
I am a new pass class 1, passed my test in march 2020 and have been unable to find any work since

All the firms I’ve approached require 2 years experience and agencies require 6 months .

Does anyone know any firms who are willing to take on new passes in and around the west midlands/ tamworth- Warwickshire.

Have tried:
Great bear /culina
Farmfoods.
DHL
Gist - bedworth
John raymond Transport cannock
Nolan transport

Thanks

Long shot but try Sainsbury’s at Hams Hall

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Many thanks I think they outsource all their work. Dont know if its wincanton or DHL.

I suppose I can always go to class 2 and sit on my license for 6 months then go to agency.

Maybe just before Christmas all the experience will go out the window like every year.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion

I hope not, I work for them! [emoji23]
It’s a Sainsbury’s core depot mate, owned and run by them. There’s not many of them owned and operated by them but this is one. [emoji106]

I’m at a different depot

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, I will definitely apply online if I can. Otherwise I’ll drive down on monday and hand my c.v in

Thanks

Sainsburys will take you on. The staffline agency bod was Will and he is alright. The assessors will give you a chance as a newbie and the drivers will give you a shout.

Eurocarparts had me as a brand new driver - extra drivers was the agency. No assessment needed. Well paid. But physically hard. Long distance at night on your own and reversing around cars and skips, opening stores on your own. Top notch equipment.

VW parts contract is worth a go. I think it’s XPO now. Was ceva when I was in there. Can’t remember the agency. But I’d go direct to them if I were you. On the same business park as ECP.

Woodall transport if you fancy general haulage. Again will take on new passes. Only ever did agency with them and wasn’t overly impressed generally. On nights you are left alone and it can be easy.

Those are from the top of my head. Once you have tried all them if nothing works come back and I’ll give you some more names and companies.

Asad_uk:
Thanks mate, I will definitely apply online if I can. Otherwise I’ll drive down on monday and hand my c.v in

Thanks

A visit is the best way. I only got my licence in October. Done loads of applications and tbh it’s a bit of a waste of time.

Asad_uk:

Thanks

You won’t get on site at hams hall. Security will turn you away. Zero chance of them letting a job seeker walk into the transport office.

When I was there getting a job was next to impossible. Blokes spent years on the agency there.

sammym:
Eurocarparts had me as a brand new driver - extra drivers was the agency. No assessment needed. Well paid. But physically hard. Long distance at night on your own and reversing around cars and skips, opening stores on your own. Top notch equipment.

VW parts contract is worth a go. I think it’s XPO now. Was ceva when I was in there. Can’t remember the agency. But I’d go direct to them if I were you. On the same business park as ECP.

I’ve tried to keep my head down as to who I work for but in the interests of helping a newbie…

Euro Car Parts won’t take new passes even on agency nowadays, also the furloughed drivers are being phased back in so a no go except the few regular agency drivers. It is a good job should it come up in the future for you though.

Spking to agency lads VW do take new passes, no idea if they are taking on.

Sure other new passes on here have got in with DHL at Fradley Park, as well as Tesco on Fradley!?!

Finally, probably one of the least popular companies on here (and I understand why) but Palletways gave me my first job on class 2 before I changed companies when I got my class 1. They gave me a massive insight to the ugly side of pallet distribution and really set me up for what I wanted out of driving…and despite what people say the pay is good especially once on the time and a half when you go over your contracted hours, just be prepared to work hard!

Don’t know the score with Brakes in Tamworth on Class 1 but they are always screaming out for Class 2. Another notorious hardworker but with excellent pay rates and could tick over 6 months on class 2 in order to have some “experience”!

manicpb:

sammym:

I’ve tried to keep my head down as to who I work for but in the interests of helping a newbie…

Euro Car Parts won’t take new passes even on agency nowadays, also the furloughed drivers are being phased back in so a no go except the few regular agency drivers. It is a good job should it come up in the future for you though.

Spking to agency lads VW do take new passes, no idea if they are taking on.

Sure other new passes on here have got in with DHL at Fradley Park, as well as Tesco on Fradley!?!

Finally, probably one of the least popular companies on here (and I understand why) but Palletways gave me my first job on class 2 before I changed companies when I got my class 1. They gave me a massive insight to the ugly side of pallet distribution and really set me up for what I wanted out of driving…and despite what people say the pay is good especially once on the time and a half when you go over your contracted hours, just be prepared to work hard!

Don’t know the score with Brakes in Tamworth on Class 1 but they are always screaming out for Class 2. Another notorious hardworker but with excellent pay rates and could tick over 6 months on class 2 in order to have some “experience”!

When I’m working for a firm I never let it be known on here or on the internet at all. After I’ve left I like to share my information to help out others.

I got binned by ECP after having all my diesel stolen in South Mimms after pulling over for a kip on my way back. Felt it was pretty harsh. But the money was good - the kit was nearly brand new then and top notch. And generally I didn’t mind the work. Wasn’t impressed having the security gimps go through my bag after every shift mind… I made sure to always add an extra half hour onto the agency book to account for my time just getting out!

Tesco at fradley is another option. They will definitely take new passes - it’s a general company policy for them. I really really really didn’t like the vibe there. But if he wants experience it’s a good idea I suppose. Staffline will be the main agency in there - but they will use loads of agencies I’m sure.

Not sure what the score is with the DHL stuff now. I used to do loads of shifts relating to JLR Solihul out of all the satellite sites. Back when I first got my class 1 ticket (just over 2 years ago) - it was a doddle to get work in the west midlands. Sadly this virus and the economy isn’t going to be so good for the brand new drivers I fear. I’m earning less now with over 2 years experience than I ever was back in those days - but I’m just grateful to have an income tbh.

Hi all, I would like to thank you all for helping so thankyou much appricated to each any everyone one of you.

A little update.
I had a driving assessment today at Tesco Hinckley via staffline but unfortunately I didn’t pass. Having never driven since passing my test my drive was spot on and the assessor said it was a nice drive. I messed up on the reversing. I couldn’t get the trailer into the bay as it was rammed packed and the assessor said I was cutting the trailer too soon and a bit too much. So I guess I will defo need some help with reversing. I found reversing at my driving test easy but when reversing onto a bay ooh my. I did manage to get it round but had too much lock on and couldn’t get the trailer to go over to the left.

Will defo need practise reversing.

Thanks fellas

I have replied to your pm.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Asad_uk:
Hi all, I would like to thank you all for helping so thankyou much appricated to each any everyone one of you.

A little update.
I had a driving assessment today at Tesco Hinckley via staffline but unfortunately I didn’t pass. Having never driven since passing my test my drive was spot on and the assessor said it was a nice drive. I messed up on the reversing. I couldn’t get the trailer into the bay as it was rammed packed and the assessor said I was cutting the trailer too soon and a bit too much. So I guess I will defo need some help with reversing. I found reversing at my driving test easy but when reversing onto a bay ooh my. I did manage to get it round but had too much lock on and couldn’t get the trailer to go over to the left.

Thanks fellas

Will respond to your PM when waiting to be tipped at Asda. But I’ve just taken 3 shunts to get it on a bay in the services to use the toilet. Fortunately this firm didn’t make me do an assessment otherwise they might not want me either.

Hi mate, I’m in same position than you. Can you send me contact details for tesco Hinckley so I can give the assessment a go please? If you could also send me details of the Asda one that would be great too. My phone number is 07866600037 thanks Dip

Asad_uk:

A little update.

Thanks fellas

sammym:
Will respond to your PM when waiting to be tipped at Asda. But I’ve just taken 3 shunts to get it on a bay in the services to use the toilet. Fortunately this firm didn’t make me do an assessment otherwise they might not want me either.

3 shunts ain’t bad at least you managed to get it onto a bay without causing any damage. 3 shunts is still better than not being able to get it onto a bay lol

Assad , you need to think outside the box , here is my top tip , go to the DVSA website and look for the applications and decisions pages , it will list all the one man band hauliers and smaller operators and their address , Google their phone number or the best way is to drive there and speak to them .
Emails and phone calls to large firms is a waste of time , they ignore emails ,at peak times forget it .
A small operator will not have the latest model or new truck , but if it’s roadworthy crack on , badge snobs are in this industry who won’t drive an older lorry or make of lorry unless it has peekaboo curtains , cab curtains with pelmets and tassels in a Tang Mushroom brigade V8 with no speed limiter to make the ferry in a one hit from Milan to Dublin .

toby1234abc:
Assad , you need to think outside the box , here is my top tip , go to the DVSA website and look for the applications and decisions pages , it will list all the one man band hauliers and smaller operators and their address , Google their phone number or the best way is to drive there and speak to them .
Emails and phone calls to large firms is a waste of time , they ignore emails ,at peak times forget it .

100% this. As a fully time served pointy shoed traffic office dictator, more people need to do this. 90% of companies will tell you to go away, but 10% will give you a chance if they have a space and you pass the attitude test.

Couple of tips.

We don’t expect a suit and tie, but don’t turn up looking like an utter tramp. Clean and presentable pair of jeans and a polo shirt (or similar) will make the difference. Our vehicles are very expensive, if you cant look after your own clothes or personal hygiene, how are you going to look after our vehicles/trailers and loads.

Wear a high vis and bring a pair of safety boots. other than 1 man bands or really small operators, you are required to wear them on 99% of sites nowadays and it will see you thrown off site before you even get to my office. Once again, your 10 year old vis and/or boots covered in copious stains and falling apart are not helping you.

Bring your bloody licence/digi card/ADR & some sort of CV. You are a professional driver, if you don’t turn up with the basics we need to prove you can drive, you aint getting a job. You would be utterly surprised the amount that don’t bring these.

Possibly not valid for you (as you are new), drivers love to talk and the industry is sometimes smaller than you think. We will find out if you were an idiot at your previous job. We also know how to use social media and its not unknown for us to check you out.

Some great and honest advice from trucktruck86 , another dilemma to bear in mind is flogging your guts out on class 2 multi drop pallet network driving .
Most hauliers that have artics , also have rigids for collection of pallets that go on the artics on a night run to a pallet hub or for further afield deliveries .

If you are very lucky , you may be allocated your own class one lorry , but there is a waiting list of drivers waiting who have been at the firm years .
Cab hopping or sharing the cab then the night driver will be waiting if you are on day runs .
Multi drop pallet work can be heavy pallets and delivery to awkward places .

I forgot to say rigid pallet drops can be a Marmite job , love it or hate it , it’s normal for deliveries of a pallet up to 9 feet tall of horse pellets or haylage , that could weigh just shy of a ton .

Slate/marble/chippings and stone crates are the worst , try that with a broken pump truck over a shingled driveway or a driveway with flat broken paving , all the customers will say the last driver dragged them to their back garden shed or behind their house , so you’re expected to do it or they will ring the supplier and complain about a moody driver .
Farmers will say he is off to the market or farm show , the keys are in the ignition of the tractor , so unload it yourself .
If he is there , he will have a bad back and won’t help push heavy pallets .On finding the farm while ringing in for instructions , he says lorries go there all the time and give instructions too fast with go past the house with the Oak tree , go half a mile , turn right by the field with the bull and pylon and so on .
Do you have any container transport firms near you ?

On the rigids , expect collections on the way back or when not empty , which means shifting the load about , or ask a client to fork lift the load how you want it while on a delivery or collection .
Even though it’s illegal , some drivers have to work on a break or never got the job done , I used to reject deliveries and collections if I got messed about and let the office deal with broken pallets or they haven’t finished packing their products , if running late , the collections won’t make the night hub trailer .

toby1234abc:
A small operator will not have the latest model or new truck , but if it’s roadworthy crack on , badge snobs are in this industry who won’t drive an older lorry or make of lorry unless it has peekaboo curtains , cab curtains with pelmets and tassels in a Tang Mushroom brigade V8 with no speed limiter to make the ferry in a one hit from Milan to Dublin .

Thankyou for your help and reply. Yes your absolutely right I need to think outside the box. Some good piece of advice you gave and I will defo check the website and check for all the transport / Haulage companies and apply. Many thanks