Job outlook for new drivers

Hi all,

Just joined the forum as a furloughed tour coach driver. I’d booked my theory etc. for 12th May but just had DVSA email saying its been cancelled and I can rebook from June.

I’m going to self fund through a friend who runs a training company down here in Devon. Obviously a lot of trucks are parked up at the moment but I wondered what the job scene is going to be like when the curtain goes up again. How do new drivers generally get their foot in the door?

I’m used to driving large vehicles round country roads and did Euro tours till I had a child. Our company is ■■■■■■ though so I cant see oldies being toured about any time soon. I like driving so just wanting to cover my bases.

Also, off topic but wondered what the difference is between a class 2 hgv and a 13 metre 14 tonne coach to drive ? Load aspect is a different kettle of fish i suppose.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any feedback

TF

There is not much difference between class 2 and 14metre tri axle coaches. If you want to do it now go for it. I passed my test and got a job straight away. The managers thinking was if you can take a coach and trailer through London streets you can drive anything

WheelsofCardiff:
There is not much difference between class 2 and 14metre tri axle coaches. If you want to do it now go for it. I passed my test and got a job straight away. The managers thinking was if you can take a coach and trailer through London streets you can drive anything

I thought as much thanks mate. Ive got 15 years experience and i used to run the Megabus into Victoria (double decker LHD euro spec) without much trouble but Ive never towed anything. Passed post 97 so cant even tow a caravan…

You’re unlikely to ever be towing anything on class 2 (C). Virtually all truck trailers come under class 1 licence (C+E) due to the weight.

Job market is dead. From the people on the recruiting side that I’ve spoken to, pretty much every job advertised gets several hundred applications per day, mostly from agency drivers desperate for any scraps they can get. You’ve no chance as a newbie in the current climate unless you get wind of a job by word of mouth that doesn’t get advertised on Indeed. Stay on furlough and enjoy the money.

R420:
You’re unlikely to ever be towing anything on class 2 (C). Virtually all truck trailers come under class 1 licence (C+E) due to the weight.

Job market is dead. From the people on the recruiting side that I’ve spoken to, pretty much every job advertised gets several hundred applications per day, mostly from agency drivers desperate for any scraps they can get. You’ve no chance as a newbie in the current climate unless you get wind of a job by word of mouth that doesn’t get advertised on Indeed. Stay on furlough and enjoy the money.

Thanks R420. I get that sense from the jobs advertised. What I’m hoping is that when some kind of normality returns theres going to be a need as there was before. At least from what the trainer i know tells me.

R420:

as a side note, there were 200+ applicants for the 10 tesco delivery jobs that I managed to get in mean time. Yes I’m furloughed but the company has administrators in the wings and will go any day now unless a buyer steps in. Unlikely when they cant say when they can start trading again.

Tim Fuego:
Passed post 97 so cant even tow a caravan…

Yes you can under the B licence 3500kg limit
Example -
Car
GVW 2100
Max tow limit 1600
Caravan MTPLM 1400 or Trailer plated MAM 1400

2100+1400=3500 so 100% legal on a B licence

Many folk get work by word of mouth. Not a lot of work is advertised. If you dont know anyone in the “know”, it’s best to go round the operators and introduce yourself. Do it now while you’ve got time. The smaller operators are often more open to new drivers.

The coach driving experience, IMO, should count. But in some cases it doesn’t. I dont know why.

You will find CAT C much easier as the overhang on the front is virtually nil and the wheelbase is short (in comparison). Rear overhang still needs care. On a two axle truck you wont notice any weight difference. Go up to 3 axles (26t) or 4 axles (32t) and it will be more noticeable but shouldn’t worry you.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Here is a fresh article on the subject, not too positive mind.

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2020/ … y-january/

I wouldn’t spend any hard earned on getting a lorry licence now, unless you’re rolling in the stuff, there was no shortage of lorry licence holders before this debacle and thousands of current licence holders will be among those losing their alternative jobs anyway, so more potential drivers will already be available…ie there’s be hundreds of skilled car transporter drivers looking for work as the car industry is decimated, that’s just one sector off the top of my head.
We’re heading at full speed into a recession like no other in living memory, where any recovery will be counted in years not weeks or months and i personally doubt we’ll get back to where we were until another proper war decimates populations, by then i doubt you’ll recognise the country you live in any more.

The reasons and blame for all of this can be argued till the cows come home, who eventually gets the blame depends on who’s writing the history at the time (in other words who’s in charge that day), but it will make not one scrap of difference to us normal plebs, who will be the ones paying for it in all manner of ways for the rest of our lives.

If you still decide to go ahead regardless, i would suggest going all the way for the artic licence so you can drive anything, but in my honest opinion for those not already in secure HGV jobs the future in this industry looks bleak.
Can you not get a foot in the door at the local bus operator, chances are they’ll need a few more on the road due to social distancing rules as and when house arrest is partially lifted, just a suggestion.

I may shoot myself properly in my foot, but this is my honest thinking. It’s obvious and generally accepted that UK is heading into a recession. How deep this will be is unknown, but it’s gonna bite.

For some, training for a job that they know they’ve got promised (at the moment) is a good thing.

For many who fancy training and qualifying, this can still be a good thing - - but please dont go into debt to fund it and dont rely on earning from it straight away.

Previous recessions (yes I know this one is meant to be the worst ever) have not been quite as bad for drivers as has been forecast. Hopefully this will follow the pattern and the reality will not be as bad as folk might have us believe.

A very good point about transporter drivers has been made and is 100% valid. But there are a number of jobs that wont be affected in the same way, eg food and associated trades.

Whilst this is clearly a time where everyone needs to be careful, let’s not talk ourselves into a worse recession than the one that is undoubtedly with us and will be for some time to come. There is history of this and it’s not helpful when everyone tightens their belt and stops spending everywhere. And I’m not just talking about spending on training. If everyone stops spending this will deepen the recession.

So my message, I hope, is clear. If you’ve got the finances and you want to train - go for it. But please, please dont go into debt to fund training.

Let’s hope it’s not as bad as the prophets of doom would have us believe.

Take care everyone, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tim , do you have a Gregory distribution depot near to you , before the virus days , they may pay for your training to get your relevant license for rigid or artics ?
I am not sure if they are still doing an apprentice scheme to get in to driving , or start in their warehouse or fork lift driving .
They own Kays ltd , a Palletline member and MMD transport and have acquired Hayton and Coulthard , AR Craib , Framptons , and numerous other buy outs or stand alone businesses .
Craib and Coulthard are based in Scotland , so too far for you .

Are you reasonably close to their Shepton Mallet depot , I am not sure how the job situation is like there ?
For Dcpc training , or ADR , check out Friendberry training , discount if live a certain radius from Taunton , for residential courses , they arrange the accommodation .

Decent honest answer that Peter if i may say so, and you do have a vested interest to keep the trainees coming, so doubly impressed with your candid post :sunglasses: , i especially agree with not getting into debt, and that applies to everything except buying the roof over your head.

The problem with food deliveries is that the way it works is likely to change drastically, i doubt the catering industry will recover for a long time particularly as one climbs the scales to restaurants, many of which will never re-open, and whilst i agree people will need to spend to kick start the economy, if millions have lost their jobs and/or find themselves on largely reduced incomes there literally won’t be the money to go round, plus those already off work in the private sector might have been having a 20% cut in take home pay (plus no subsistence payments for trampers) for several weeks already.
Food work involving the staple foodstuffs, yes, and i include supermarkets here.

Lots of people will have found they have cut costs considerably, no pubs, no cafes, baking at home, able to take alternative exercise so no gym membership costs, that new car costing £300 a month suddenly isn’t as important as once it was…yes i’m looking at things from a glass half full perspective, but, i’ve been around a long time and seen what can happen when living lifestyles right up to the limit of their pay and beyond can put people when the crap suddenly hits the fan, i suspect millions of people in their twenties and thirties who haven’t lived as responsible adults through serious downturns before are suddenly seeing things in a new light, whether they will return to being good little consumers living on endless credit the day lockdown ends remains to be seem.

Juddian:
Decent honest answer that Peter if i may say so, and you do have a vested interest to keep the trainees coming, so doubly impressed with your candid post :sunglasses: , i especially agree with not getting into debt, and that applies to everything except buying the roof over your head.

The problem with food deliveries is that the way it works is likely to change drastically, i doubt the catering industry will recover for a long time particularly as one climbs the scales to restaurants, many of which will never re-open, and whilst i agree people will need to spend to kick start the economy, if millions have lost their jobs and/or find themselves on largely reduced incomes there literally won’t be the money to go round, plus those already off work in the private sector might have been having a 20% cut in take home pay (plus no subsistence payments for trampers) for several weeks already.
Food work involving the staple foodstuffs, yes, and i include supermarkets here.

Lots of people will have found they have cut costs considerably, no pubs, no cafes, baking at home, able to take alternative exercise so no gym membership costs, that new car costing £300 a month suddenly isn’t as important as once it was…yes i’m looking at things from a glass half full perspective, but, i’ve been around a long time and seen what can happen when living lifestyles right up to the limit of their pay and beyond can put people when the crap suddenly hits the fan, i suspect millions of people in their twenties and thirties who haven’t lived as responsible adults through serious downturns before are suddenly seeing things in a new light, whether they will return to being good little consumers living on endless credit the day lockdown ends remains to be seem.

Excellent 2 posts Juddian, I completely agree with both. The reality of the situation hasn’t dawned on the sheeple yet. They’ve had a good 5/6 weeks sunning themselves whilst being on (mostly) full pay until this virus thing “blows over” and then “we can get back to normal”. They don’t have a clue about the economy and how it functions. They assume that the government is paying for it all and so everything is gucci. They don’t realise that this is the ‘new normal’ and the ‘old normal’ isn’t coming back. A significant number of them won’t even have jobs to go back to, and that includes many transport firms operating in certain sectors which have been decimated. At the very minimum there will be large scale lay-offs as there are far far too many drivers and trucks for the now (comparatively) small amount of haulage work required.

It will recover eventually I think, but again, I’m in complete agreement that the timescale is extremely likely to be years away, certainly not months. Several economists have said that we should expect things to get far worse over the next couple of years with no plans for a possible recovery until into 2022/3. Wasn’t there a thread on here recently about 50%(?) of the entire UKs haulage fleets were currently mothballed? That is an absolute crap-ton of capacity - tens of thousands of drivers and thousands of trucks, and a decent amount of those won’t be going back to work again.

I don’t even think the real pain has begun yet. Currently, the only people in the industry affected from a driver standpoint have been agency men on ZHCs or non-guaranteed contracts. Virtually all these seem to be sat at home with no money coming in. The occasional full-time permie job ads that get posted are swamped with thousands of applications so little chance of even getting a reply. The agency ads are just the usual book-padding exercise “it’s a bit quiet at the moment but we expect it to pick up in a few weeks so keep your phone switched on” ie. we don’t have any of the work we’re advertising.

Hardly anyone is spending anything because those with their heads screwed on can see the uncertainty looming in the economy and will be starting to have worries about their job. The furlough money will end once the lockdown is lifted and then companies will have tough decisions to make. Restaurants and bars aren’t financially viable at 25% capacity due to social distancing requirements so they won’t be reopening. Same goes for any business that relies on people being in close proximity to make money, eg, airlines. All these people know they are highly likely to be laid off at some point in the near future so there’s no way they’re going to be out spending money in the economy. Bricks and mortar retail is finished because virtually no-one is going to queue up in a long conga line for 30-60 minutes outside a shop just to go and browse what’s available. It’s only being tolerated at supermarkets because delivery slots are booked up months in advance and there’s no other option to get your food.

As for driver training for your HGV licence(s) - sure, go ahead if you want to have the letters on your card, but in the current climate it’s money down the drain as there’s barely any work for time-served, experienced drivers so no chance of anything for newbies with no experience. :frowning: That’s the stark reality of it. Some training companies have connections with local hauliers to place newbies there once passed so if you can find such a company offering that with hard guarantees then you should be okay, but if not then you’re on your own and the £3000-3500 you’ve just paid is on its 5 year countdown with nothing coming in to pay it off.

IMO a great deal of the above makes sense. I would only add that a “high up” in the Treasury (cant recall his name but this was on tv earlier) and the gaffer of the Bank of England have both said that, whilst the hoped for “V” shape recession wont happen, they expect the economy to bounce back rather more quickly than in previous recessions.

There is a logic to this. I’ve been in business for 35 years and this is, I believe, the 3rd major recession in that time. (maybe 4th). The huge difference is that there has been no general assistance to business before. Any business that goes broke now or in the near future must have started off in a sticky position (eg with huge lease/hp commitments). The amount of government assistance is staggering and there is no reason to suppose that half decent companies will fail. The fewer companies that fail, the lower the unemployment as a result. Lower unemployment means a high proportion of folks getting paid - and, hopefully, spending.

The big danger is that we swing too far into recession mentality thus talking ourselves into a deeper and longer recession. Of course, everyone needs to be prudent. But I believe that things will get back to “normal” sooner rather than later.

But only time will tell.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Two excellent posts there from R420 and Peter.

Time will tell, let us indeed hope what we are about isn’t too bad or too prolonged, yes good luck everyone.

Peter Smythe:
IMO a great deal of the above makes sense. I would only add that a “high up” in the Treasury (cant recall his name but this was on tv earlier) and the gaffer of the Bank of England have both said that, whilst the hoped for “V” shape recession wont happen, they expect the economy to bounce back rather more quickly than in previous recessions.

There is a logic to this. I’ve been in business for 35 years and this is, I believe, the 3rd major recession in that time. (maybe 4th). The huge difference is that there has been no general assistance to business before. Any business that goes broke now or in the near future must have started off in a sticky position (eg with huge lease/hp commitments). The amount of government assistance is staggering and there is no reason to suppose that half decent companies will fail. The fewer companies that fail, the lower the unemployment as a result. Lower unemployment means a high proportion of folks getting paid - and, hopefully, spending.

The big danger is that we swing too far into recession mentality thus talking ourselves into a deeper and longer recession. Of course, everyone needs to be prudent. But I believe that things will get back to “normal” sooner rather than later.

But only time will tell.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You’re a ‘cup half full’ guy Pete, I have to confess to being a ‘cup half empty’ sort, which probably explains our differing slants on how we each see it panning out. I could see the potential in your view IF - and only IF - the social distancing rules were scrapped. But from what they’ve said, that isn’t going to happen and for that reason I maintain that the economic damage will be far greater and longer lasting than your predictions simply because for a huge number of businesses and industries, the social distancing makes them unprofitable/unworkable.

I do believe the notion of a V-shaped recovery is complete pie-in-the-sky. I am 100% confident there’s no chance of that happening and I’d even bet my house on it. We’re welllllllll past that point in the road, imo.

If this ‘Great Depression’ takes hold and lasts for years as some economists are predicting, I think that would push the oh-so obedient and compliant UK population past their breaking point and social unrest would ensue. I see the trigger points being a) money stopping and b) food supply shortages. If the government can keep a lid on both of those then there’s a good chance the sheeple will remain compliant. If one or both of them go then it could get ugly rather quickly. The USA is already making headlines for food shortages, particularly in the meat industry and what little is available has tripled or even quadrupled in price (beef products). The price of food in general is heading northwards at a rapid rate and that is going to cause issues for low income families. I’ve certainly noticed our food bill increase quite dramatically over the past couple of weeks, although we are both big meat, fish, eggs and poultry eaters which probably skews things a bit vs ‘normal’ families.

I’m not saying we’re all doomed and the End is Nigh, but I do think there is worse to come, economically, and people should be making preparations for riding it out, eg. job/income security, food stocks if you have a freezer.

As Juddian says, let’s hope the forecasts are ‘over-egging the pudding’ and it doesn’t end up being that bad.

Btw Pete, how are you doing business wise in the current climate? What does your ‘order book’ look like? Are you even able to operate with the social distancing issues? I just mentioned in another thread that many jobs I applied for said they had recruitment on hold because they can’t conduct assessments because of the social distancing issue.

If mentioning this doesn’t get me on pre mod, the covid disaster has almost completely taken Brexit (sorry) off the news recently, 3 months ago the cautious amongst us may have been wary of the impact any final deal or lack of could have for blighty. I did hear one mention that negotiations were starting a spell now with 100 negotiators on each side. Somehow the picture in my mind that conjures is something along design by committee…

njl:
If mentioning this doesn’t get me on pre mod, the covid disaster has almost completely taken Brexit …

Must get admin to add the word brexit to the list of banned words :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

njl:
If mentioning this doesn’t get me on pre mod, the covid disaster has almost completely taken Brexit (sorry) off the news recently, 3 months ago the cautious amongst us may have been wary of the impact any final deal or lack of could have for blighty. I did hear one mention that negotiations were starting a spell now with 100 negotiators on each side. Somehow the picture in my mind that conjures is something along design by committee…

I can’t imagine how you might think that pre-mod could be your prize for saying what you said. :confused:

IMHO, you’ve made a very fair point in a wider thoughtful and thought provoking topic, because Brexit will still have to be dealt with.

As important as Brexit is, including its pre-covid timescale, it’s probably been bumped of its hitherto top spot in the league of newsworthiness by the force majeure of COVID-19.