Strapping Beverages

Hi,

I secured a load of beverages with the internal straps a while back. Thinking about it afterwards, each pallet must have been way over 400kg (I know I should have thought about it before). If I’d put a ratchet strap over the top of two pallets and cranked it down, surely it would have gone through the pallet like cheese wire? Even with those corner protector things, it still would have gone through.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Cross strap at back and drive around corners and roundabouts carefully , also start to slow down earlier and pull off gently at first ,
Are you hourly paid ? then no rush :wink:
The booking slot time is your TM’s concern ,
Your concern is getting the load there safely :wink:

All common sense, but what would the VOSA say about it?

get your company to agree to pay all fines…cross strap the back 2 and away you go with no worries.
alternatively,waste your time putting loose straps over every row.

Ask the company how they want it securing, and ask for a picture or diagram for reference purposes. Then strap it exactly like that. If it all goes pear shaped, or Mr Vosa gets all arsey simply show them the paperwork and provide them with the TMs name and number.

WhiteTruckMan:
Ask the company how they want it securing, and ask for a picture or diagram for reference purposes. Then strap it exactly like that. If it all goes pear shaped, or Mr Vosa gets all arsey simply show them the paperwork and provide them with the TMs name and number.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

OK. DVSA won’t care about being “simply shown the paperwork” between you and your company. You, as the driver, are responsible for the load security; no-one else. They would issue you with a fine and tell you to argue it out with your company.

"Light goods

You can secure goods or unstacked pallets that weigh less than 400kg per item:

using buckle straps that hang from the roof of the body structure with inner curtains - see light palletised goods

Treat goods and pallets over 400kg - and stacked pallets if the combined weight of the stack is more than 400kg - as heavy goods.

Heavy goods

Secure heavy goods that weigh more than 400kg per item or pallet with:

lashing, load-rated nets, tarpaulins with integral straps

Whatever method you use, it must be able to restrain half the weight of the load to the side and rear, and the full weight forward.

This is the minimum standard for normal road driving."

This is from DVSA.

But I’m just wondering, if it says:
" for heavy load whatever method you use, it must be able to restrain half the weight of the load to the side and rear " so clearly internal strap can do this if this is a pallet up to 800kg?
Not sure why it’s not allowed then … Am I missing something? Is internal strap then only for 200kg and it can hold half weight of maximum 400kg to the side and rear?

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

milesahead:
" for heavy load whatever method you use, it must be able to restrain half the weight of the load to the side and rear " so clearly internal strap can do this if this is a pallet up to 800kg?
Not sure why it’s not allowed then … Am I missing something? Is internal strap then only for 200kg and it can hold half weight of maximum 400kg to the side and rear?

You need special anti-gravity rated straps for those. That what all the old-timers and pro’s use. You can buy them on Ebay.

R420:

milesahead:

You need special anti-gravity rated straps for those. That what all the old-timers and pro’s use. You can buy them on Ebay.

Anti gravity rated?

R420:

Ok, then I’m back to yoga…[emoji5]

I remember my worst case on pallet work, two pallets of wine against headboard and one pallet behind was a bit lower . Not knowing my exact drop location I ended up going over mountain roads to Ebbw Vale and couldn’t get round a hairpin bend in one so took a shunt back slightly to manoeuvre round it, looked in the mirror there was one hell of a bulge in the curtain and wine ■■■■■■■ out the bottom!(Jack rabbit if you want to know) :laughing:

Got to the drop and the ■■■■■■■ there wouldn’t even take the pallet off headboard for me to even stack it properly to return it. Don’t miss that work at all keep me on fridge work! :smiley: Learnt a lot in those eight months mind!!!

milesahead:

R420:

In case you’re still sat there puzzled, anti-gravity straps = not using any straps at all :smiley: . I believe such highly dangerous chicanery is frowned upon by the powers that be these days, despite it having worked just fine for at least 20 or 30 years for every driver possessing more than a couple of brain cells. Just do fridges, boxes, bulkers or tankers then you don’t have to worry about this silly strapping nonsense. I don’t get paid enough to be dealing with that crap when I can drive a fridge for the same money and all I have to do is shut the back doors and go.

R420:

milesahead:

R420:

In case you’re still sat there puzzled, anti-gravity straps = not using any straps at all :smiley: . I believe such highly dangerous chicanery is frowned upon by the powers that be these days, despite it having worked just fine for at least 20 or 30 years for every driver possessing more than a couple of brain cells. Just do fridges, boxes, bulkers or tankers then you don’t have to worry this silly strapping nonsense. I don’t get paid enough to be dealing with that crap when I can drive a fridge for the same money and all I have to do is shut the back doors and go.

[emoji5] yes, it’s true, first preference would be not to deal with all this strapping at all…