New Class 1 Holder - Advice for gaining experience

Hi All,

I have held my Class 2 for a couple of years, and recently gained my Class 1. I do not drive for living, but do occasionally need to move trucks. Have been truck crazy since a young age so took my class 1 as its purely something I’ve always wanted to do.

My plan was to try and do occasional weekend work.

I attended an assessment for agency driving with Tesco recently. I’ve never actually driven or tried reversing with a trailer, other than when taking my test. Was asked to reverse onto a bay, which I was amazed how tight it was due to concrete blocks in front of the bay on either side. Managed to pretty much line it up first time correctly, but needed a couple of shunts to get straight. Was then also asked to reverse and park between 2 trailers, which I found much harder. (I wasn’t supprised to hear I failed, as it was the first time driving a large trailer other than going my test). The instructor did say I was 75% there, just needed to do a couple of days to get used to shunting and I would be fine.

How would be best to gain experience in reversing and manouvers? I can appreciate no company will want to give their truck to someone who is completely green, but I’m confident with say a days practice I would pick it up. I know of a few companies who I could possibly ask to go along with for a day. And possibly have a go driving to gain a bit of real life experience with the supervison of a driver. Would this be a reasonable / realistic way to gain some experience? Would be interested to hear some thoughts on what may be best.

Many thanks!

Going with another driver even if unpaid to gain experience is an acceptable practice as you are not taking a job from a paid driver

Watch the weekly rest rules if working weekends when working mon to fri

PASSING CE ARTIC.jpg
PASSING CE WD.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

I have a 9 to 5 which isn’t driving but I do a bit of class 1 on the side. I’m signed up to a couple of agencies. I’ve been straight with both of them about my experience. The agencies seem to have been straight with the companies I’ve driven for and they’ve mostly not sent me anywhere too silly.

I did a day on a van, a day of 7.5t, a day on class 2 mutidrop and then onto class 1. In hindsight, it was not a great way to start, but I learned quickly. I’ve asked for help and advice when I needed it and have yet to find someone who was anything other than helpful. Other drivers, gatehouses and forklift drivers All been helpful

I am in the same situation, 8-5 office job during the week, passed class 1 in January. I registered with a lot of agencies, with all of them I have been honest about my experience. Still I managed to obtain shifts. When going on sites, the same, telling people I am new in the trade, and people were really helpful. I was concerned about other drivers laughing when struggling to park to bays, but it never happened. They came to me and gave me advices how to position myself better, and helped me to do the manoeuvre. When I wasn’t sure about something I was always asking drivers or shunters who were there.

Currently I am doing shop deliveries with Class 1, so a lot of driving in town, and parking in difficult spots. I am taking my time everywhere, and always triple check everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk