Cumbria - Ad-hoc work options

To follow on from my thread regarding training options.

I live in the middle of rural ■■■■■■■■ I see lot’s of trucks on the A roads around here. I am within 45mins of Carlisle, Workington, Whitehaven.

Once I complete training, do folks have any idea of the demand for ad-hoc/agency work in this area?

Would Class 2 be enough or would I be better gaining the CE licence aswell before I start looking for work?

At the moment I am not planning to make a full-time career of driving, my initial plan is that I would likely be able to work full-time for the first 3 months and after that I would be looking for about 8-10 days a month (random days, not a fixed pattern). Of course, if redundancy comes my way then I may well be looking for full-time work but time will tell.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Most agency work (I’m w.■■■■■■■■ will involve running out of Carlisle or Penrith . Not a big problem if your away all week but a daily commute will add to your day plus your travel costs .

syramax:
Most agency work (I’m w.■■■■■■■■ will involve running out of Carlisle or Penrith . Not a big problem if your away all week but a daily commute will add to your day plus your travel costs .

Thanks for your reply mate.

I’m 20mins from Penrith, 45mins from Carlisle.

Penrith would be ideal, any idea how the market is for new drivers? (Probably won’t be qualified until August).

Do you know if I would be better having Class 1 or would Class 2 be okay?

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t really answer the first part of your question, sorry. But the 2nd , if I had been younger I would have done cat.c got some experience , not just the driving but the job itself. Then moved up to c+e . I was late 50s when I took my test so stayed with rigids.

syramax:
Can’t really answer the first part of your question, sorry. But the 2nd , if I had been younger I would have done cat.c got some experience , not just the driving but the job itself. Then moved up to c+e . I was late 50s when I took my test so stayed with rigids.

Thanks Syramax.

I’m 42, so not that young. Food for thought though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk