Training Options in these times

Hello All,

I’ve always enjoyed driving and in the past (20 years ago) I did some 7.5te beaver tail work as part of my job for a groundworks employer. I hadn’t considered driving as a career, but the recent unprecedented times have got me thinking of adding an extra skill to my arsenal.

I love my current career and I worked very hard to get it, but being in aviation is fickle and whilst my employer is keeping me at home on good money, I can see that the global recovery of aviation is likely to take longer than most industries after we start to emerge from the COVID-19 crisis, this may lead to redundancies or if I’m lucky it could just be a longer period on gardening leave, so I will need to earn money elsewhere.

I have also realised that if I were to lose my current position, I don’t have much to fall back on.
Driving is a skill that will always be there, and to that end I am looking at options to begin my training in the current climate.

Theory tests cancelled for a month.
Driving tests cancelled for 3 months.
Medicals on hold.

Does this plan make sense?

• Start theory training now, looking at drivertheoryforall.
  • Medical as soon as Doctor’s are able to carry them out.
  • Provisional Licence application.
  • Theory tests (Mod 1a, 1b and Mod 2) when bookable again.
  • Class 2 driver training and test when bookable again.
  • Apply for tacho.
  • Apply for Class 2 jobs or go for CE training/test.

If I have missed anything please let me know.

I am up in ■■■■■■■■ so I appear to have Nithcree training at Dumfries within an 1.5hrs drive, any other training recommendations?

I’m going to post another thread specifically about work in ■■■■■■■■

Thanks for your time and good luck and health to you and your families.

There is no harm starting to practice for the theory now, but I think we need to be realistic though and consider that theory test centres are unlikely to be open in a month.

You say you did some 7 1/2 tonne driving 20 years ago which indicates you may have passed pre Jan 1997. If this is the case there may be a workaround for you.

for acquired rights, you’re able to take either the initial OR the periodic training to gain your CPC. As off a few days ago, the DVSA has given authorisation for CPC test centres to offer the periodic training online.

With this in mind, you could at the moment at least gain your CPC online and then just take your practical.

I hope this helps
Damian

I’ve just realised 1997 was over 23 years ago! :cry: which makes me feel incredibly old.

But hopefully, the information is of use to you or somebody else

You can get tacho digicard NOW with a car licence :bulb:

Start theory training now, looking at drivertheoryforall.

• Apply for tacho.

All makes sense. You’ve missed Mod 4 which is the practical walk round demonstration test. Most trainers will organise this to happen during the days you’re with them for practical driver training. Some of us have our own Mod 4 assessors on staff thus eliminating waiting times.

For choice of trainer - Hello! Our residential courses are very popular with Trucknet users. The accommodation is free of charge and there’s 10% discount as well.

Clearly, the world has ground to a halt and we shut up shop on Monday till around mid to late June. I imagine that a new candidate will get dates approximately end of July or early August. But if we can secure additional tests, this will come forward.

Our office staff are working from home so feel free to give us a call 01623 555661.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Damianb:
There is no harm starting to practice for the theory now, but I think we need to be realistic though and consider that theory test centres are unlikely to be open in a month.

You say you did some 7 1/2 tonne driving 20 years ago which indicates you may have passed pre Jan 1997. If this is the case there may be a workaround for you.

for acquired rights, you’re able to take either the initial OR the periodic training to gain your CPC. As off a few days ago, the DVSA has given authorisation for CPC test centres to offer the periodic training online.

With this in mind, you could at the moment at least gain your CPC online and then just take your practical.

I hope this helps
Damian

You’re right, it was a long time ago[emoji38] I’m 42.

Really, so I can do Mod 1a,1b and 2 online now using acquired rights?

Peter Smythe: Is this something that you can provide?

Though from Peter’s post, assuming that other providers are working to the same timescales perhaps there’s no time benefit in using my acquired rights vs doing the exams?

Another way of looking at it is that I know nothing about the job, I’ve only got a bog standard car and bike licence so would I be better prepared by going through the CPC from scratch?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:

Start theory training now, looking at drivertheoryforall.

• Apply for tacho.

All makes sense. You’ve missed Mod 4 which is the practical walk round demonstration test. Most trainers will organise this to happen during the days you’re with them for practical driver training. Some of us have our own Mod 4 assessors on staff thus eliminating waiting times.

For choice of trainer - Hello! Our residential courses are very popular with Trucknet users. The accommodation is free of charge and there’s 10% discount as well.

Clearly, the world has ground to a halt and we shut up shop on Monday till around mid to late June. I imagine that a new candidate will get dates approximately end of July or early August. But if we can secure additional tests, this will come forward.

Our office staff are working from home so feel free to give us a call 01623 555661.

Hi Pete,

Thanks.

I have looked at your website and read some great reviews regarding your training. You’re definitely an outfit that I’m considering.

What matters to me is getting things done as soon as I can. In the current circumstances, would you recommend that I get the medical and theory completed before coming to you for the practical?

As per my reply to the above post, what would you recommend as the best approach regarding initial vs periodic CPC training?
I’m sitting at home with plenty time on my hands so I may aswell be doing anything that I can do to prepare and reduce the timescale further down the line.

Thanks for your advice.

Your very first move has to be to have a medical. These are tricky to get at the moment but ring round doctors and hopefully you’ll get one.

Once that’s done, complete D2 licence application. Tick the boxes for Provisional C and Provisional D. This will give you entitlement for both truck and bus at no additional cost.

Now start preparing for theory tests. I believe you have a bit of confusion around this. There are no grandad rights for Multiple Choice or Hazard Perception. So, come what may, you have to do those two. Grandad rights could apply for driver cpc. You have the choice of completing Mod 2 (case studies test at your local theory test centre) followed by Mod 4 (practical walk round test). I suggest Mod 2 and Mod 4. Reasons: this will be quicker than completing 35 hours in a classroom (cpc training has been cancelled at the moment throughout the country so there will be a backlog to deal with). Secondly, it can be a challenge to actually book the Mod 2 with folks in your position. The Pearson computer cant cope with grandad rights.

Everybody wants to get it done asap. The quickest way, with us, is to call and register with us. You will be asked for £200 deposit. This will get you on the current list. Over the next 3 months (that’s an educated guess) the list will doubtless grow considerably, so the earlier you do this, the shorter wait you’ll have. It’s simple. Just call 01623 555661. We’re unable to deal with card payments remotely so you’ll be asked for a bank transfer.

Having done that, study like mad for your theories. Ask our team to book those as soon as they are available and you’ll get the earliest possible test.

It’s impossible to book theory tests until you hold a provisional licence; similarly, it’s impossible to get the provisional until you’ve had a medical.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

blackwing:

Damianb:

I hope this helps
Damian

Though from Peter’s post, assuming that other providers are working to the same timescales perhaps there’s no time benefit in using my acquired rights vs doing the exams?

Another way of looking at it is that I know nothing about the job, I’ve only got a bog standard car and bike licence so would I be better prepared by going through the CPC from scratch?

Thanks for your help.

No, you’d be able to do the 35 hours of periodic CPC training online which would replace the need to do the module 2 & 4. If you need to do the 1a/b then that would still have to be done in the test centre I am afraid.

I suppose the benefits are it’s not a pass/fail like the module 2/4 and you’d be able to drive a 7 1/2 tonne commercially as soon as you had completed the 35 hours.

Pros and cons for either option, you need to weigh them up and decide which one suits you the most.

Peter Smythe:
Your very first move has to be to have a medical. These are tricky to get at the moment but ring round doctors and hopefully you’ll get one.

Once that’s done, complete D2 licence application. Tick the boxes for Provisional C and Provisional D. This will give you entitlement for both truck and bus at no additional cost.

Now start preparing for theory tests. I believe you have a bit of confusion around this. There are no grandad rights for Multiple Choice or Hazard Perception. So, come what may, you have to do those two. Grandad rights could apply for driver cpc. You have the choice of completing Mod 2 (case studies test at your local theory test centre) followed by Mod 4 (practical walk round test). I suggest Mod 2 and Mod 4. Reasons: this will be quicker than completing 35 hours in a classroom (cpc training has been cancelled at the moment throughout the country so there will be a backlog to deal with). Secondly, it can be a challenge to actually book the Mod 2 with folks in your position. The Pearson computer cant cope with grandad rights.

Everybody wants to get it done asap. The quickest way, with us, is to call and register with us. You will be asked for £200 deposit. This will get you on the current list. Over the next 3 months (that’s an educated guess) the list will doubtless grow considerably, so the earlier you do this, the shorter wait you’ll have. It’s simple. Just call 01623 555661. We’re unable to deal with card payments remotely so you’ll be asked for a bank transfer.

Having done that, study like mad for your theories. Ask our team to book those as soon as they are available and you’ll get the earliest possible test.

It’s impossible to book theory tests until you hold a provisional licence; similarly, it’s impossible to get the provisional until you’ve had a medical.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete,

Thank you for breaking it down for me, that is very helpful.
I’ll phone around some doctors tomorrow and see if any are still offering medical and crack on with that and the provisional application.

I have a few more specific questions regarding the process and costs. Would you rather I send you a PM?

Thanks again.

Damianb:

blackwing:

Damianb:

I hope this helps
Damian

Thanks for your help.

No, you’d be able to do the 35 hours of periodic CPC training online which would replace the need to do the module 2 & 4. If you need to do the 1a/b then that would still have to be done in the test centre I am afraid.

I suppose the benefits are it’s not a pass/fail like the module 2/4 and you’d be able to drive a 7 1/2 tonne commercially as soon as you had completed the 35 hours.

Pros and cons for either option, you need to weigh them up and decide which one suits you the most.

Thanks Damian, I guess that only being able to do 7.5te work probably won’t get me a start (don’t see any adverts round here for that type of work).

I think I may be better off starting from scratch with the CPC.

I have a few more specific questions regarding the process and costs. Would you rather I send you a PM?

I dont mind either on the public forum or pm.

I know I’ve mentioned it, but you can also call Tracey on 01623 555661 for information. Sometimes it’s easier to speak to an actual person imo. But happy with whatever you choose.

Apparently some training schools are starting to do cpc courses on line now

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:

I dont mind either on the public forum or pm.

I know I’ve mentioned it, but you can also call Tracey on 01623 555661 for information. Sometimes it’s easier to speak to an actual person imo. But happy with whatever you choose.

PM sent [emoji846]

Any idea of companies doing the online cpc courses mentioned?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi im practicing my theory at the moment as I want to do a class 2 with Pete when all this lock down is over but I can’t find anything to study on CPC module 2.? Any suggestions.? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Canterbury:
Hi im practicing my theory at the moment as I want to do a class 2 with Pete when all this lock down is over but I can’t find anything to study on CPC module 2.? Any suggestions.? Thanks in advance

drivingtheory4all.co.uk/lgv … heory-test

Cheers

It’s generally accepted that, assuming you’re well up on multiple choice, the same information will get you through Mod 2. This is true to a point but there can be other things that come along to surprise you.

I would suggest theory4all.co.uk for online theory incl Mod 2.

Thankyou for your interest in training with us. Our office staff are working from their homes and can be contacted on 01623 555661 as usual. Your best move is to give them a call and register with £200 deposit. That will guarantee your place in the queue when we’re able to finalise bookings. To give you an idea, you should be able to train around about 7 weeks from when test become available. No-one knows when that is, but the earliest they will restart is around 22nd June. But dont rely on that, given the current situation.

Anything I can do to help, just shout.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That’s great advice thanks.I phoned your office a few weeks ago and a friendly women who I forgot the name of now talked things through with me.I was just unsure of the CPC module 2 . Thanks for your info.All the best.