4 On/4 Off Rota - have I missed something?

I’ve noticed quite a lot of adverts for 4 on - 4 off (4+4) tramping. (lets use a notation x+y; x denotes days working and y denotes time off). Seen a job I really like and have an interview booked - £12 per hour and night out rate (not sure of that yet).

I printed off a month calendar page to see how the days would work out (choosing a month that started with a Monday for convenience). Varies on the month slightly.

• 4+4 means one works 16 days a month
  • 5+2 a Mon to Fri (normal working week) 20 days
  • 5+3 20 days
  • 4+2 20 days
  • 6+3 21/22 days

To me a x+y rota is convenient for a mix of working week ends, week day time off and when booking leave works out attractive. I have worked a 4+2 and 6+3 in the past and quite liked it. Obviously it is averaging out ones time.

But the 4+4? Seems one is only working for 75% of other rotas. I’ve found 2 days off a bit short with tramping nights out and 3 days off just about right (first day off one is too knackered to do anything much and then one gets a couple of days off). I suppose it is an employer maximising the 3 days at 15 hours and one at 13 - covering bank hols and weekends with a slightly increased hourly rate… no doubt paying fortnightly or monthly.

To me the 4+4 rota seems to be the latest idea to cutting wages further. Who works a 4+4?

4 on 4 off means you are working 50% of each week on average
If doing 13 hour shifts that is a 52 hour week
If doing 3 x 15 + 1 x 13 = 58 hour week on average

The company I work for has people on 4on4off and 5on2off. Both are contracted to 48 hours per week, 4x12 hour shifts or 5x9.5 hours.
Personally I prefer the 4on4off because of the amount of time off it gives, especially if you book holidays, the only sacrifice is working weekends.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Depends on how you are paid, its not money saving for the company unless they’re paying so low that you are barely above minimum wage, its getting 7 day use out of their fleet and providing a 7 day service to customer.

As far as shifts go its the best of the lot IMHO, so long as it suits you and you family.

Only you know if the pay is good enough.

I suppose the best thing is to phone for a chat. In recovery doing 6+3 pay would vary from £290 to £600ish.

With 4+4 some weeks one will only work 3 days in the pay week. Better if they paid a weekly salary.

jessejazza:
I suppose the best thing is to phone for a chat. In recovery doing 6+3 pay would vary from £290 to £600ish.

With 4+4 some weeks one will only work 3 days in the pay week. Better if they paid a weekly salary.

Much appreciate your posts. Decided to give this one a miss as I have had another offer doing 5+3 which I prefer. To me 3 days off one needs but 4 is too much and less cash.

I have been trying to get on 4 on 4 off for a bit.

My lot pay in a way that on your 4 day weeks you earn a 5 day wage but in your 3 day weeks you are down … but they guarantee a 5th shift on them weeks.

I think the big thing with 4 on 4 off is the opportunity to do extra days and still get a decent amount of time off.

For 5 on 3 off you need to be paid your weekends at a premium and work the odd rest day

ROG:

4 x 13 hr shifts is 52 hrs Rog you’re right but some weeks will be 39 hrs so an overall average would be lower than 52 hrs.

Jimmy McNulty:
I have been trying to get on 4 on 4 off for a bit.

My lot pay in a way that on your 4 day weeks you earn a 5 day wage but in your 3 day weeks you are down … but they guarantee a 5th shift on them weeks.

I think the big thing with 4 on 4 off is the opportunity to do extra days and still get a decent amount of time off.

For 5 on 3 off you need to be paid your weekends at a premium and work the odd rest day

The 4+4 job I was thinking about was not offering any extra days. The 5+3 is - but voluntary. Either way a lot depends on the employer as you have said. ‘At the end of the day’ - the x+y shift is to save the employer money and have booked cover over bank holidays etc. I like a fixed day rate; the compromise of working some weekends and having days off during the week for a dental appointment and the like without having to bother booking leave weeks in advance.

bald bloke:

ROG:

4 x 13 hr shifts is 52 hrs Rog you’re right but some weeks will be 39 hrs so an overall average would be lower than 52 hrs.

I stand corrected
3.5 shifts of 13 = 45.5 hours

ROG:

bald bloke:

ROG:

I stand corrected
3.5 shifts of 13 = 45.5 hours

But that is assuming one is doing 13 hours. For the job (delivering bulk animal feed to framers) that was the claim but with hourly pay one cannot be quite sure. I’d rather be on a day rate or even a weekly rate… at least one can budget better.
Don’t worry about maths :smiley:
It’s a good subject - I used to teach it.

More important at present is just getting shopping done which is difficult if tramping. Now that one is limited to TWO of any item (Tesco anyway) - things are not going to be easy for some time.