Learning the ropes...literally

First of all thanks to the driver who took pity on me today and helped me [*did it for me] rope and sheet my first proper load, I thought I’d done a half decent job of it until he came across to show me where I’d gone wrong, which was pretty much everywhere :blush:

I’ve only been driving class 2 for a couple of months, and my truck is a flat bed, so far everything I’ve been carrying has been just ratchet strapped down and away we go, but today I had to go and collect something that the office said is going to need sheeting once I’d strapped it, I was a little nervous at the prospect but thought I’d be fine.
I got the sheet on well enough, it was way bigger than the load so I had a fair bit of slack to wrap up, but I was so far off with my rope work that luckily the helpful other driver saw where I’d gone wrong and came to my rescue, sorry I didn’t catch your name but if you’re on here thanks again, it survived the near 200 mile journey and still looks as good as when he tied it off, if he hadn’t helped me out it would have been flapping like crazy, or worse lost somewhere on the m6… :open_mouth:

My worry now is that even though I watched him closely and listened to what he told me I was a little flustered/embarrassed and I have a horrible feeling that I’ll be in the same boat next time I’m asked to go and sheet something, and I might not be lucky enough to have a friendly experienced driver to help, how can I practice this sort of thing?

Sorry for the long post.

if you dont find a helpful old dude then google is your friend…dolly knots and truckies hitch…theres a never ending list of pages.
even bill oddies grandad can tie one.
just remember the rear sheet goes on first.
youtube.com/watch?v=oGQihZzfNUs