Process/Cost for Cat C+E License

Hi, I’m based on the Isle of Wight and looking to crack on with obtaining my cat c+e license.
I thoroughly enjoy driving, consider myself a safe and sound driver too, so it’s a career path I’m thinking of going down.

Could anybody advise me on how much everything will cost me, from theories and medicals, to actually taking the practical exam. And if you guys could tell me about the process to obtain all of this, and possibly share your learner experiences, that’d be appreciated!

Thanks.

Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question: :bulb:

Total cost = have £3K to hand

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your first move is to have a medical - D4 form required. This can be carried out by any doctor (your records are not required). Simply ring round for price and availability.

Then complete your licence application form - D2. Tick the boxes for Provisional C and Provisional D. This will give you the required entitlement to get started and will also, at no cost, give you a bus provisional. If you fancy a crack at that in the future you’ll already have the provisional thus avoiding the cost of a further medical.

Send both forms to Swansea with your current driving licence. Sit patiently; you licence should be with you in around 21 days but often sooner. You can check your licence entitlement on the gov.uk website.

Once you have provisional entitlement for CAT C, you can then book your theory tests. Once again, gov.uk website. I recommend drivingtheory4all.co.uk for study.

Note: the medical, theory study and theory tests should amount to around £150 but this will vary according to the cost of the medical.

Now find a good trainer. HELLO!!

CAT C £1260
CAT CE £1530
MOD 4 £270
Pass Protection (covers 3 retests) £300.

You may well find cheaper. You will also find more expensive. Check our reputation on the forum by all means.

In your case, being more than 70 miles from our training centre at NG17 3FW, you will benefit from free accommodation for the duration of your practical training and test.

You will also have the distinct benefit of using our private driving test centre - miles from a city centre! You also get to practice the reversing on exactly the same bit of concrete that you’ll be tested on. And yes, that makes a difference.

Very importantly, all our trainers are fully trained, qualified and registered (NVDIR). There is no legal requirement for an LGV instructor to have any training or be registered - unlike teaching on a Fiesta! Crazy, but true!

Lastly, the training centre itself is approved by NVDIR. We also had the very first private driving test centre in the UK, some 12 years ago.

As I said, ask about us on the forum or Google. Whatever you do, dont get sucked in by the brokers. Easy to identify as they profess to have anything from 30 to 60 centres around the UK.

Feel free to pm me if I can help further. To get the D2 and D4 forms, please call the office 01623 555661 and they will send them to you. You can also ask more questions on the forum of course.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: