LGV Training Companies

Hello all,

Does anyone happen to know of any companies that will train you to become a HGV Driver (free of charge) that would then require you to work for them once you pass?

It was the exact thing my current bus company did with me and other trainee bus drivers, but HGV its difficult to find.

The ones I’ve currently come across require you pay for them, seems very unreliable.

Thanks in advance!

Which area of UK are you :question:

Black Country, but willing to move. Apprenticeships I’d be willing to do but need to find a company currently recruiting

Its a lot more common to have bus companies put you through your bus licence than it is a transport company to put you trough your hgv.

Not common for a company to put you through cat c/c+e but if you already have your cat c, some companies will be willing to train you on c+e and take a certain amount from your wages until you pay them back. I wouldn’t hold out for an apprenticeship or anything as it is rare, id just start trying to save some money if it is what you really want to do.

I’ll go ahead and state the obvious just in case you get tempted by a shiny looking deal…

Don’t sign up over the phone for HGV training finance from a company who promises a job at the end of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very few do these days since they have plenty to chose from already qualified, but I know coop used to do something called Warehouse to Wheels. To qualify you had to working the warehouse for a year I think.

Problem is, it could cost them 3-4000 and no guarantee the candidate will stay and often no realistic way to get the money back.

I would be wary of apprenticeships as a lot aren’t legit or will pay you stupidly low wages. There was one around a while back, but the T&C was absolutely awful.

One route could be companies who run vans, getting in there as some might be willing to put a small number through class 2. Eg DHL, DPD etc. It wont cost them as much on insurance and they sometimes have driver trainers inhouse.

I looked at this originally, but even 5 years ago it’d all but vanished since the influx of drivers from elsewhere flooding the market.

Alternatively, interest free credit card?

I dunno if this is only specific to the one location, but might be worth considering…

indeed.co.uk/viewjob?cmp=21 … ning&vjs=3

Aldi seem to have an apprenticeship type thingy

Class1postie:
Aldi seem to have an apprenticeship type thingy

Transport | Aldi Recruitment UK

Some one at ALDI needs to go to maths school

Please note that you’ll need to be 18 years’ old or older to apply. And you’ll also need to have held a clean and full UK Driving Licence for a minimum of 2 years.

They need to change 18 to 19 for a minimum of 2 years

I just called their recruitment team who also had a chuckle at that error !!

They might enquire what the matter is with driving buses.