Manual tachograph entry [zb]

Ok I don’t like manual entries. Think I have only done one once before, last year. But I had cause to do one yesterday. Yet I still managed to balls it up and now I have an infringement for lack of daily rest FFS [emoji23]

Does anyone have any good instructions on how to make manual entries? Like a procedure or something?

Cheers

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

For each manual entry, the tachograph shows you a period of time with starting date and time, activity (work, POA, Rest or “?”) and with the current date and time as the ending time. It can help if you write down the entries you are going to make in the same format first, then copy them over as the tacho presents them to you.

Edit: it’s a bit like blindside reversing - drivers avoid doing them so they never get comfortable with them. If you practice doing manual entries every day, you’ll soon find them second nature.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
For each manual entry, the tachograph shows you a period of time with starting date and time, activity (work, POA, Rest or “?”) and with the current date and time as the ending time. It can help if you write down the entries you are going to make in the same format first, then copy them over as the tacho presents them to you.

Edit: it’s a bit like blindside reversing - drivers avoid doing them so they never get comfortable with them. If you practice doing manual entries every day, you’ll soon find them second nature.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Writing them down first seams a good idea as I was sure I entered them correctly. But clearly not. Maybe I just rushed it or missed a step or 2. I understand what you mean about not doing them so never really get used to it. But it makes me not want to bother [emoji23]

It would be helpful to know which make and age of tachograph you’re using.

VDO tachograph.

Stoneridge tachograph.

tachograph:
It would be helpful to know which make and age of tachograph you’re using.

VDO tachograph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb-9yAX_CIk

Stoneridge tachograph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4e4yu-YDM

The first one. I think I messed up the entries. It seemed easy in my head but clearly not

It is not a simple task. Even reading a 24 hour clock is not necessarily something that everyone does every day.

I double check each line before moving on. Check the symbol is correct, check the day is correct and the time, then move on. It is a good idea to have a diary to remember that Friday was the 13th or whatever.

Until you have said ‘yes’ to confirm manual entry, you can still go back and change all the lines if you want. Once you have said ‘yes’, you cannot change any part of the entry.

It’s annoying that there isn’t really an easy way of practising without it being an actual live entry. If you are struggling, make sure to press a button when it prompts you, otherwise it could time out and not allow an entry.

Noremac:
It is not a simple task. Even reading a 24 hour clock is not necessarily something that everyone does every day.

I double check each line before moving on. Check the symbol is correct, check the day is correct and the time, then move on. It is a good idea to have a diary to remember that Friday was the 13th or whatever.

Until you have said ‘yes’ to confirm manual entry, you can still go back and change all the lines if you want. Once you have said ‘yes’, you cannot change any part of the entry.

It’s annoying that there isn’t really an easy way of practising without it being an actual live entry. If you are struggling, make sure to press a button when it prompts you, otherwise it could time out and not allow an entry.

Yes a way of practicing would be awesome. I think writing them down first to make sure you have it all covered is probably the best advise I’ve received in this thread

There’s an online simulator for the Stoneridge SE5000:

https://www.se5000.com/simulator/default.php?version=7.3&withdrawal=2w&

But somehow, there’s nowt online for the Siemens/VDO version.

During my agency days, with me being a rookie, I messed up big style one weekend and somehow recorded 60+ solid hours of other work! :blush:

The agency rang me ranting and raving on why I accumulated all that working time in the space of one weekend, and claiming that they lost one of their best clients as a result of my (zb) up! Needless to say that I no longer work for that agency. :grimacing:

At first, I was dead nervous of doing manual entries in case I messed up and got a mega infringement, but after watching TheRockGod23’s videos further up the thread, my confidence grew and thought this is a piece of cake.

Some firms are very hot on you doing manual entries to record the time that you actually finished your shift after pulling your card and what time you actually started your next shift (grabbing the keys, paperwork,etc), and if you have to change motors during a shift.

Just take your time when doing one and check the flashing mode symbols and times very carefully, adjust when necessary with the arrow keys and pressing OK when you’re happy with it.

Do a print out write on back sign it have a copy for you & a copy for transport office

I did this & it is sorted what they want to see is that you know what you have done & understand it