Getting Class 2 License but don't own a car - Need advice

Hi,
I am 20 years old and have held my car license since I was 17. I recently made the choice to take control of my own life and pursue something I have always been interested in; truck driving. I love driving and it seems to comes naturally to me, however due to financial circumstances I have never been able to buy a car.
I am hoping to gain some insight on the problems that may cause me upon looking for HGV driving work.
My top priority is getting a car once I have an income, but I am worried I will not be able to get work at all until I have one.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

If you can ride a bike and do tramping (so you only ride there and back once a week) then you’ll be fine. Trouble will come if you have to travel a distance and start early before public transport.

Get your CBT done and get a cheap scooter if you can [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Have you got any friends or neighbours that work in a warehouse or something similar see if they have their own transport side and if you can get a lift. Failing that maybe get a job in the warehouse a few months and you will soon have enough for a car.

I would be interested if any instructors have input - my initial concern is going for LGV training and test when not having gained much car experience. I could be wrong on if it would be an issue.

I would be interested if any instructors have input - my initial concern is going for LGV training and test when not having gained much car experience. I could be wrong on if it would be an issue.

Clearly the fact that you have little car driving experience isn’t going to help. But there was a time (up to the end of 1996) where we used to train non car drivers on artics. This was called “double L” as we used to have to display the current L plate (to signify no car licence) and the HGV L plate (long since defunct). And yes, it was artics as there was no requirement to do rigid first. As well as that, I trained dozens and dozens of bus conductors, who had never needed to drive a car, on double deck buses. This was because of the onset of one man operation and their choice was to be redundant or learn to drive. No huge problems with that.

I would strongly suggest you get your provisional licence and have some assessment drives. Let us know where you are and I may be able to give you some pointers.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you very much for the input everybody! :slight_smile:
I am quite happy with the response, was worried I may hear worse.
I will get my license and then work forward from there, if I need to work to get a car before a job then I will just deal with it at
the time.

I am based in Glasgow, I believe Richie’s do assessment drives here so I will perhaps try that before paying for full training.
I also plan to get a couple hours car driving lessons in the next week or two to get myself back up to speed with that.

Thanks again
Steve

i passed car at 17 and did hgv at 19, id go for it. Like pete said back in the day people could jump straight onto artics without a car license.

Hi Steve, noticed you said you’re in Glasgow. Have you applied for SDS ITA? Gives you £200 grant towards a training course which doesn’t have to be paid back. Training has to be through an approved training centre though. I’m booking my training through GTG Training in Edinburgh but they have a training centre in Glasgow too.

I’ve already got my provisional and theory tests done. The cost of the 5 days training which includes practical test fees and DCPC module and test is £1427 so with the training funding that brings it down to £1227.

Good to here newo, I’m going to go for it :slight_smile:
Thanks for the advice Jonrob but I’m currently in university and so I’m not eligible for funding!

SteveHGV:
Good to here newo, I’m going to go for it :slight_smile:
Thanks for the advice Jonrob but I’m currently in university and so I’m not eligible for funding!

I did my class 2 and 1 test whilst at uni. In fairness I was a more mature PhD student at the time.

As far as student jobs go being able to agency drive the occasional night and on holidays is great. Certainly beats bar work or other more menial paid employment.

If you have the money to spend on a HGV licence would it not be more sensible to spend that on a car?

Just playing devils advocate there I realise there are other costs such as insurance, tax, fuel and maintenance but it still seems the obvious thing to me.

I was pushed into university by my parents and can’t stand it; I’m performing well enough but I can’t imagine spending my life sitting in an office, working constantly with a team, etc.
I just want out as fast as I can, and if there’s a chance of me getting a HGV job and then using that money for a car while also gaining experience then I would rather do that any day than use my money now to get a car - especially as insurance is around £2500 a year for me (mostly due to location).
Thanks again for the advice guys, you’ve all been really helpful :slight_smile:
Passed multi choice/hazard perception since I last messaged, got case studies coming up Monday and then I’m good to book my training :slight_smile:

You’ve made your choice and that’s good. Hope all goes well with the training and test. Strongly suggest you have assessment drives due to your lack of car driving experience.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: