Tacho card data download

Evening guys.

What happens to your card/data if its not downloaded onto your employers computer every 28 days?

Will it cause an issue with your card? I know its a legal requirement but just wondering if the card will stop you using it or something?

Robaidh:
Evening guys.

What happens to your card/data if its not downloaded onto your employers computer every 28 days?

Will it cause an issue with your card? I know its a legal requirement but just wondering if the card will stop you using it or something?

Nothing happens to the card or the data on the card.

A driver card is designed to hold a minimum of 28 days of data but in reality it’s likely to hold several months of data.

When the memory chip on the card is full the data gets overwritten starting with the oldest records on the card.

To give some idea of how much data a card can hold, I got pulled about 18 months ago. I download my card every week, turns out the reader my company used was faulty. The officer told me my card hadn’t been downloaded for 132 days!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
To give some idea of how much data a card can hold, I got pulled about 18 months ago. I download my card every week, turns out the reader my company used was faulty. The officer told me my card hadn’t been downloaded for 132 days!

I don’t know how he would know that, I’m pretty sure the card isn’t marked when the data is downloaded, it’s simply copied to a computer or uploaded direct to an analysis companies computer/server.

I agree about the records a card can hold though, it’s not unusual to find 10/11 months of records on a driver card.

CookieMonster:

A couple of points here. First off, TTBOMK the act of downloading a card doesn’t change anything on the card, which begs the question how could the DVSA bod tell that the card hadn’t been downloaded for 4 months? Maybe someone with fuller knowledge could expand on this?

But that’s an aside - If you want to see how much data is held on your card, use the head unit option to produce a printout from you card and see what the earliest available date is. Pound to pinch of snuff it’ll be a lot more than 4 months ago (unless of course your card is less than 4 months old…)