Daily Walk-round check - Arrive 10 mins early?

Hello,

(Not actually got my license just yet but)

1. Do you usually have to arrive 10 mins early to any job to carry out walk-round checks? Or do you just arrive on time and the 10 mins are during your ‘work’ time?

2. Do you set your tacho to ‘other work’ during the walk round check, or do you just not have the tacho in during the walk-round check?

Thanks

in my limited experience the daily checks are part of your daily work. In fact the modern daf’s and maybe others wont let you do anything until you have done 15 mins of other work on the theory that it should take you approximately that long to do your checks

My day starts collecting paperwork from the office and being allocated a truck. Then on getting the truck, manual entry for the rest period and then back dating to whatever time I entered the office.
Then from the time tacho is started add 15 mins other work for driver checks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

cooper1203:
in my limited experience the daily checks are part of your daily work. In fact the modern daf’s and maybe others wont let you do anything until you have done 15 mins of other work on the theory that it should take you approximately that long to do your checks

A modern daf will do no such thing.You could drive straight off as soon as you wanted to.As you could with any truck.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Monkey241:
My day starts collecting paperwork from the office and being allocated a truck. Then on getting the truck, manual entry for the rest period and then back dating to whatever time I entered the office.
Then from the time tacho is started add 15 mins other work for driver checks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I’m the other way round because I drive same truck all the time , I my TM says see you at X o’clock then it will be X:15am before I go to office

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get told what time to leave the yard for my run the day before. I aim to get to work 30 mins before to grab paper work, strap the load and complete my daily checks before leaving. In any case I dont leave until the load is safely strapped and the vehicle is checked and safe.

I should add as soon as I get into work I go straight to the truck (as have same one every time) and put the card in and it defaults to other work. Then I do as listed above.

I guess exactly how you do it depends on where you work and when you are expected to set off from your base but rest assured its paid work and forms part of your day on the tacho and working time etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

gratiaDei777:

1. Do you usually have to arrive 10 mins early to any job to carry out walk-round checks? Or do you just arrive on time and the 10 mins are during your ‘work’ time?

If your start time is 06:00 you will start work at 06:00 and at some point before leaving the yard you will do the vehicle checks in works time.

gratiaDei777:
2) Do you set your tacho to ‘other work’ during the walk round check, or do you just not have the tacho in during the walk-round check?

Vehicle checks are part of your job and therefore legally need to be recorded on your driver card as other work, so you would normally put your driver card in the tachograph and set it to other work before doing vehicle checks.

gratiaDei777:
Hello,

(Not actually got my license just yet but)

2. Do you set your tacho to ‘other work’ during the walk round check, or do you just not have the tacho in during the walk-round check?

Thanks

If the agency tell me the start time is 00.05 I get there for that time. You wont be paid for getting there early, so why would you want to work without pay?
You’ll usually get your keys, paperwork, then head out to the truck. Pop your tacho card in, do the manual entry from when you started and then put it on Other work and wait 15 minutes - Which is usually enough time on a Class 2 to do your walk round checks, set up the sat nav and find your favourite radio station and have a look at the paperwork.

One company I done agency work with, said your start time is 6am so we want you there at 5.50am so you’re ready to leave at 6. I said “no” and queried this with the agency (Since they are the ones who pay me) and said you do no such thing. You start when the agency says and not before, no matter what the client says. Ofcourse nothing wrong with getting there a few minutes early to find parking etc

When you begin, companies will try and take this ■■■■ - The company you work for will report back to the agency. If you happen to refuse a vehicle for non-road-worthiness - Take a photo of the defect sheet/book on your phone, in case the agency ask why you wouldn’t take the vehicle out, so you can show them you’re doing everything correctly. They’ll then generally put you with a company that actually plays by the rules - If they don’t, it is time to find another agency, as it is your licence at the end of the day and you’re the one that pays the fines.

You should turn up 30 minutes early to do your radio calisthenics (Japanese style morning exercises). Don’t forget your hard hat and chinstrap!

youtube.com/watch?v=taHYsmLpWDY