IT vs Trucking

Hi guys,

Hope you’re well.

I was looking for some advice from those who have been in the IT sector and transferred over to HGV or vice versa.

I’m currently at a standstill on what to do I was considering software development or getting my HGV C licence initially then moving on to C+E.
I’ve been thinking about it for a while but guess you could say been a bit overwhelmed by the options as I’m at a point where I feel its probably the most important career decision I’ll make - I’m 28 at the moment.

There would be more costs involved to go down the HGV route, but although I’m no Mystic Meg I feel that the HGV route may be easier to get a start in compared to something like software development given I’ve not got a degree (for that I’d be doing online bootcamp/courses and be self-taught, try and build up a portfolio of apps, etc).

Just wondering if there is anyone who can share their experiences who have transitioned from one industry to the other? Would be great to read your thoughts.

I have driving experience while working for amazon logistics as a van driver and I’m also quite computer savvy.

TIA

Hi although I have never had a job in the it sector I do know a little about it. I have an a+ and n+ from about 15 years ago that I got from a distance learning course. I then spent 2 years trying to find work on and off and I couldn’t find a single person to take me on. I was either over qualified for 1st level support or not enough experience for 2nd level. I even had one guy suggest that I went for 1st level and then it was the same guy that interviewed me for that and said I was over qualified!! Also in that time scale someone with an mcse went from 100k+ to about 30k a year

I don’t know what languages you speak but there seems to be shed loads of people pushing out apps for android out of their bed rooms. Have you thought about joining a Linux team and see if you can gain some experience there you might find a job through the community I suspect that more and more companies are going to move over to Linux with the likes of umbunto and lime being so close to windows for look and feel but properly designed.

My other suggestion is have you considered forensic computing I know someone who was doing it and its about an 18 month course I can see with the way the world is going its going to be a skill more and more in demand. You might find your programming experience comes in handy even if its just writing a simple batch script for a repetitive task.

For hgv work there is work out there even for new passes depending where you live and how far your willing to travel you might have to take the lesser paying jobs or the harder jobs but you will slowly work your way up the more experience you get. I personally chose to just do my class 2 (rigids) and get some experience first where as others have done both class 2 and class 1 back to back its horses for courses im afraid.

Good luck with what ever you decide
Coop

cooper1203:
Hi although I have never had a job in the it sector I do know a little about it. I have an a+ and n+ from about 15 years ago that I got from a distance learning course. I then spent 2 years trying to find work on and off and I couldn’t find a single person to take me on. I was either over qualified for 1st level support or not enough experience for 2nd level. I even had one guy suggest that I went for 1st level and then it was the same guy that interviewed me for that and said I was over qualified!! Also in that time scale someone with an mcse went from 100k+ to about 30k a year

I don’t know what languages you speak but there seems to be shed loads of people pushing out apps for android out of their bed rooms. Have you thought about joining a Linux team and see if you can gain some experience there you might find a job through the community I suspect that more and more companies are going to move over to Linux with the likes of umbunto and lime being so close to windows for look and feel but properly designed.

My other suggestion is have you considered forensic computing I know someone who was doing it and its about an 18 month course I can see with the way the world is going its going to be a skill more and more in demand. You might find your programming experience comes in handy even if its just writing a simple batch script for a repetitive task.

For hgv work there is work out there even for new passes depending where you live and how far your willing to travel you might have to take the lesser paying jobs or the harder jobs but you will slowly work your way up the more experience you get. I personally chose to just do my class 2 (rigids) and get some experience first where as others have done both class 2 and class 1 back to back its horses for courses im afraid.

Good luck with what ever you decide
Coop

Thanks for that Coop.

I’m currently learning javascript but have very basic knowledge of software development so would probably spend the next 6 months having to learn it.

I dont mind putting time into something and working hard, I know nothing is guaranteed but when it comes to jobs I like to train for the ones where there is a higher possibility of getting a job.

I think we should all try and do jobs we like or at least like some of it as if you really hate your job then it’s not worth it. So I’ve been trying to factor that into the equation as well.

The issue is I haven’t really done much or any of either HGV driving or software dev so it’s a catch 22 haha. Not sure what I’d like I literally feel as though I should flip a coin…

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I transitioned into driving from construction management. I was very well paid, home every night but highly stressed and burnt out with it.

I was also well qualified in my role before so it was a big decision but I just went with my gut and did it and left and got my HGV licenses and got a start on class 2, bottom of the ladder type work but a start.

I won’t lie to you, there are days where I wonder if i did the right thing, I’ve been doing this 6 months now so its early days. I’ve had my ups and downs with it but over all I’m enjoying it and I have a class 1 job lined up now close to home so things are looking up.

The truth is you wont know unless you try and you can always go back. I still get lots of job offers in my old line of work and know I could go back as long as I dont leave it too long.

It depends what you want to get out of it.

I struggled early on, it was less money by a long way but I just wanted to get a start as a new driver with no experience I tool what was there.

I also struggled at the start with the early starts (up as early as 2.30am) and the nights away.

But with time I adjusted to the hours and how it all works and it got a lot easier. Now like I say I’ve got another job lined up, the money is better, it’s more local and no nights out.

So I guess what I’m saying is you might land on your feet get a great gig and love it from day 1 and never look back…or you might find it very different and hard to start with, but if you enjoy the driving enough (which I do!) and can stick at it there are good jobs out there. You just have to work out what works for you and find the best gig you can for yourself, if that doesnt work try somewhere else. If in the end you dont like it and cant get used to it, you can always go back or do something completely different.

You are still only very young, I did what I did 10 years older than you are. Your never too old to change your life and change it back again if you want. Do what makes you happy and dont worry about it. As long as your paying the Bill’s you can work it out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ok here is my tuppence worth. I know someone who is a consultant lecturer at a uni he also drove lorries. The only reason he gave up driving is what he earnt in a day behind the wheel he could pretty much earn in an hour in front of the blackboard. There was a brief over lap between the two. he happened to be doing supermarket work to the rdc’s so lots of time sitting around waiting to be loaded or tipped. He spent the time doing his lecture notes or marking exam papers or what ever he had to do.

Personaly not wanting to belittle your efforts I would say you would struggle getting a decent wage with just java script. I would say you would need c++ at least. Java script is error prone and full of security holes it is very hard to write a secure app. I think you would be limiting your self to phone apps and the occasional windows app that the general public have no idea about the security issues.

As a suggestion why don’t you give lorry driving a go then if/when you have a job with a lot of waiting involved study c++ or even c then c++. Then if you decide you don’t like it you haven’t wasted your time and if you do like it you have a hobby that has some practical use.

I taught myself c in a couple of months then moved onto an Arduino. while I only use the child’s ide that does 95% of the work for me I have built some circuits for my classic car like lights on alarm and interior light dimmer etc silly things I know but useful for an idiot like me that doesn’t have a buzzer doing its nut when I have left the lights on!

I hope all this is constructive and you don’t feel like I have piddled on your parade
Coop