Why are they all agency?

Why are all jobs I see advertised through an agency? Can’t a company recruit anymore?
Since entering this industry last year, I must say its probably the worst job move ive made. Every employer seems unprofessional. Then there is ‘experience before employment but no experience without employment’. They are desperate for drivers but won’t give anyone a chance?
Go to agency for the bottom pay & no security.

Because companies use agency as a way to forfeit all responsibility for recruitment. Most jobs will be temp to perm. If they don’t like any driver easy to say send another. No messing with adverts/interviews etc

Simple economics in their eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no temp to perm. If there is no contract to that effect, it doesn’t exist. Don’t be hoodwinked into letting companies treat you like a full-time employee when you aren’t one. If you say you aren’t available next week you aren’t available. Most of the time the full-time contract won’t appear on the timescale promised and you have nothing in writing. People waste months of their lives on these promises.

The politically correct answer is so that it gives people that are poor at interviews but good workers a fair chance. (yes I had a company say that to me) The real reason in my opinion is they can get who ever they want without breaking any discrimination laws. If they employed everyone that the law said they had to and the person turned out to be rubbish its hard to get rid of them. However, if they are agency it doesn’t matter they can let them go for no reason at all.

I knew someone once that worked in an agency she was tasked with finding a receptionist to cover maternity leave. She sent this woman along that ticked all the boxes to do the job with years of experience. At the end of the first day she called the company to find out how the person got on and they said well her work was good but we don’t want her back we want someone else. when asked why the answer was her breasts weren’t big enough!!

cooper1203:
However, if they are agency it doesn’t matter they can let them go for no reason at all.

Think you’ll find they can do that with anyone who has less than 2yrs service.

Read it in some employment law post somewhere that until you reach 2yrs continuous service you don’t actually have full rights and an employer can say sorry your done and doesn’t have to give a reason why!

There are caveats to this though such as they can’t dismiss for whistleblowing or causing you to breach health safety or discrimination.

But if they want to turn round and say no longer required they can and no reason needed. Less than 2yrs and you can’t claim unfair dismissal.

Funny old thing is employment!!

I believe there that are accounting advantages to using agency, especially when it comes to profit/loss and writing off costs against tax for the company.

Agency workers aren’t (usually) part of unions either

cooper1203:
At the end of the first day she called the company to find out how the person got on and they said well her work was good but we don’t want her back we want someone else. when asked why the answer was her breasts weren’t big enough!!

Sounds fair enough to me, receptionist is the face of the business after all :laughing:

dcgpx:

cooper1203:
However, if they are agency it doesn’t matter they can let them go for no reason at all.

Think you’ll find they can do that with anyone who has less than 2yrs service.

Read it in some employment law post somewhere that until you reach 2yrs continuous service you don’t actually have full rights and an employer can say sorry your done and doesn’t have to give a reason why!

There are caveats to this though such as they can’t dismiss for whistleblowing or causing you to breach health safety or discrimination.

But if they want to turn round and say no longer required they can and no reason needed. Less than 2yrs and you can’t claim unfair dismissal.

Funny old thing is employment!!

Your correct you can not claim unfair dismissal before two years service, you can claim wrongful dismissal after 12 weeks service though.

Wrongful dismissal covers being sacked without a reason and if there is a reason that there is sufficient evidence to back it up.

planetrucking:
Why are all jobs I see advertised through an agency? Can’t a company recruit anymore?
Since entering this industry last year, I must say its probably the worst job move ive made. Every employer seems unprofessional. Then there is ‘experience before employment but no experience without employment’. They are desperate for drivers but won’t give anyone a chance?
Go to agency for the bottom pay & no security.

There is a certain amount of seasonal work that companies have and also a requirement to cover annual leave and sickness. There are drivers out there who only want to work part-time or only want to work part of the year. They may have another job that isn’t on all the time. They may have caring responsibilities etc. Quite often older drivers are already in receipt of one or two pensions, so they may not even need the money. Agency work also provides a way in which a new pass can build up a bit of experience with a variety of work. This kind of agency work has always been there.

An increasing phenomenon is companies running with a percentage of agency staff and drivers who want to work full-time can end up being at companies for years without getting taken on and for significantly less wages than those working directly. The Agency Worker Regulations has tried to deal with those issues with some degree of success, making it more difficult for companies to deny equal pay after 12 weeks. Things like the 28 days paid holiday coming in for all workers has also helped.

The reason you are not seeing permanent jobs advertised may simply be that companies don’t need to advertise to fill positions.