How much can i realistically expect to earn

so I pass my cat c course (hopefully)
Many permanent jobs that require experience indicate I’ll have to start on agency but the hourly rate is not great can anyone share some advice and experience please

Passed my C and C+E in May last year. Started class 1 permanant work the day after passing the test. Was on around £500-£550/week take home on day work doing around 60hours.
After 6months changed jobs, now on mon-fri tramping, still early days for me here buy take home on a standard week seems to be around £700, if I work a Sunday as well looking around £900.
A lot does depend on what part of the country you are in I think. And how lucky you get.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hi there

I’m in Sussex and have been driving for 5 years. After Passing class 2 I went on to do Hiab. A week after passing my test I got a job at £13 an hour in 2015. 45 hours a week. I left a few months ago to care from my daughter but as of June last year I was on £15.25 an hour again 45 hours a week (£698) minus the tax of that of course. I could overtime but its flat rate where I was.

Hope that helps. This was employed directly and not an agency.

robsie99:
Many permanent jobs that require experience indicate I’ll have to start on agency but the hourly rate is not great can anyone share some advice and experience please

Where you are is relevant, as Dave says. Andys experience in Sussex, wont be much use if you are in West Wales.

Franglais:

robsie99:

Where you are is relevant, as Dave says. Andys experience in Sussex, wont be much use if you are in West Wales.

I’d certainly agree with that. Class 2 in Norfolk/Suffolk was about £9 per hour and Lincolnshire expect min wage if you can get a Class 2 job… most only agency.
Things have improved since Brexit referendum. Poor Class 1 wage (day work) would be about £500 gross at present (I got £550 doing nights). But there are firms that only employ East Europeans and on min wage. I don’t think I’ve lived anywhere where employers are so mean.

Quite a number of Class 1 I have met do tramping like I am now going to do so they can avoid a commute 30-50 mile which isn’t feasible for day work. One I spoke to does 80 mile each way. My firm are 45 mile away but I will be able to operate from the other depot which will be 30 mile.
Also the night out cash seems to vary. You should receive a £10 per day meal allowance (tax free) applies to many professions if one is away from home for 10 hours plus and >30 miles from home (think it’s 30 mile may have changed), and £25 per night sleeping out allowance (tax free).

East Midlands is a poor agricultural area they say - farms I’ve been to are often 7000-10000 acres… often with 3-4 new combines - that’s about £2m these days. Plenty of money in the area really.

jessejazza:
East Midlands is a poor agricultural area they say - farms I’ve been to are often 7000-10000 acres… often with 3-4 new combines - that’s about £2m these days. Plenty of money in the area really.

That’ll be from those EU subsidies that they’re going to lose soon

Class 2 around Greater Manchester seems to be £10 per hour. £11 with Hiab class 1 seems to be about an extra .50p an hour.
Heavy haulage seems better paid. But hard to get in , it seems the experience required conundrum applies even more than usual with that sector. How to you get STGO anyway? :smiley:

after tax and Ni my driver get around £626 a week and he is out Mon - Fri, no heavy work and works between 8 - 10 hours a day and gets 11+ hours off every day