Dreaded car insurance time

happy new year to all,
I realise this is probably a little off topic but I am wondering what people put down for their jobs. I filled in lorry/hgv driver for the job but “logistics” didn’t come up for the sector just had lots of silly things. what have others put down.
coop

Warehouseman / Driver - kerching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try Adelaide insurance

I put down HGV Driver, Type of business: Road Haulage Logistics.

I pay £260 Annually for a modified car through Adrian Flux. Fully Comp etc.

Since bumps with a truck can affect your car insurance, I would get No Claims Bonus Protection if possible.

Being an agency driver, when they asked if I was full time or part time, I said I was on a zero hours contract and can vary from 25 hours a week to 60 at busy periods - They umm’ed and arr’ed and just put down “employed” which seemed to lower the price strangely

I’ve found normally putting HGV in the box brings up HGV Driver and HGV Mechanic, select as appropriate.

Also experimented with the job titles on the online ones and didn’t find it changed the quote.

and changed the Type of business between Motor Racing and Haulage and no different, despite others telling me working in Motor Racing increased the premiums.

Hyh:

Since bumps with a truck can affect your car insurance, I would get No Claims Bonus Protection if possible.

Being an agency driver, when they asked if I was full time or part time, I said I was on a zero hours contract and can vary from 25 hours a week to 60 at busy periods - They umm’ed and arr’ed and just put down “employed” which seemed to lower the price strangely

You don’t claim on your car insurance for a bump in the truck, so your car NCB won’t be affected, no reason to get protection. Your premium can go up due to risk but you can’t do anything about that.

I always have protected ncd as it isn’t that expensive. In the past I have had cars I couldn’t afford to throw away so have had to claim on the insurance when some muppet has run into me and ended up loosing all my no claims bonus whilst it is being sorted out costing me a fortune.

How about this for barmy? Put down LGV Driving Instructor 45 years. Changed it to Company Director and the premium nearly halved. Not a lot of respect for driving ability strangely.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

exit:

Hyh:

You don’t claim on your car insurance for a bump in the truck, so your car NCB won’t be affected, no reason to get protection. Your premium can go up due to risk but you can’t do anything about that.

True (NCB is not affected)… BUT there is also a question that asks if you have had ANY accidents/collisions in the last five years. If you’ve had a bump in a truck it should go in there. If you had a bump in your car they might do a search and find that perhaps you have had say a couple of truck bumps. Then no insurance… but I’d reckon small chance of finding that out - but you have said perhaps HGV driver in job description.

“It’s a minefield” - as the saying goes.

I use confused.com as one can enter in details and change mileage etc for different quotes - it’s worth doing just to see how things compare. But not worth reading into too much - all based on statistics. I knew a helicopter pilot years ago and he was skinned for insurance - perhaps they think he doesn’t know the difference between a helicopter and car !!

I rarely pay more than £100 per year but I only have classic motors. It seems £100 is almost a standard - doesn’t matter if you have a Jaguar XK120 (worth £100k+), a Series Landrover or Triumph Herald. Often that’s for 5K miles but on confused.com one can explore - my landrover ended up with cover for 15k miles, agreed value of £14k (extra cost) total £120.

Classic policies don’t involve NCD BUT one can insure a classic as an everyday vehicle - as is my landrover. My kitcar will be my everyday vehicle (when I have redone the engine this summer… too cold at present) but to keep my NCD going I will keep that on the landrover even though I may only use her a few times this year as I am planning some resto work. Tax free and no MOT is a bonus as well.

Don’t forget salvage rights - if one did have an accident… the car comes back to one’s home rather than sitting in the recovery company yard costing money.

I seem to be one of these folk who just never seem to have any spare cash. I wouldn’t want a modern motor as I’d have to send it to a garage to be worked on. Parts cost enough let alone garage labour charges.

jessejazza:
“It’s a minefield” - as the saying goes.

I use confused.com as one can enter in details and change mileage etc for different quotes - it’s worth doing just to see how things compare. But not worth reading into too much - all based on statistics. I knew a helicopter pilot years ago and he was skinned for insurance - perhaps they think he doesn’t know the difference between a helicopter and car !!

I rarely pay more than £100 per year but I only have classic motors. It seems £100 is almost a standard - doesn’t matter if you have a Jaguar XK120 (worth £100k+), a Series Landrover or Triumph Herald. Often that’s for 5K miles but on confused.com one can explore - my landrover ended up with cover for 15k miles, agreed value of £14k (extra cost) total £120.

Classic policies don’t involve NCD BUT one can insure a classic as an everyday vehicle - as is my landrover. My kitcar will be my everyday vehicle (when I have redone the engine this summer… too cold at present) but to keep my NCD going I will keep that on the landrover even though I may only use her a few times this year as I am planning some resto work. Tax free and no MOT is a bonus as well.

Don’t forget salvage rights - if one did have an accident… the car comes back to one’s home rather than sitting in the recovery company yard costing money.

I seem to be one of these folk who just never seem to have any spare cash. I wouldn’t want a modern motor as I’d have to send it to a garage to be worked on. Parts cost enough let alone garage labour charges.

sounds like a man after my own heart although I do have a modern car as a daily but at 400 quid if anything goes that I cant fix it gets weighed in. However I have never found classic car insurance for under 140 but I think that’s to do with my circumstances.

Another trick to get even cheaper insurance if your a tamper, put down that your company yard as where you leave the car overnight the most and it brings your premiums down.

Sent using smoke signals

I have a couple of classics. 1935 Riley and 1991 Mulsanne S. Both cost me just over £100 fully comp.

Peter Smythe:
I have a couple of classics. 1935 Riley and 1991 Mulsanne S. Both cost me just over £100 fully comp.

1935 Riley. Imp, Kestrel, Falcon ? - whichever very nice… good old days of double de-clutching.
Real motoring :smiley:
Mulsanne? What… oh you mean a BENTLEY! That’s a woman’s car with ‘bells & whistles’. :blush:

Should ask where’s the classic truck - good for shows and advertising. :smiley:
The firm I’ve just joined have one old unit in mint condition just inside reception and they have several others in a warehouse.

When I said classic cars I meant everyday classics; 2 x Triumph Heralds, 2 x Reliant Regal 2s (aluminium bodied v.rare with the lovely side valve engine), 2 x Rickman Rangers (kit cars) and 2 x Series Landrovers. Only the SWB landrover on the road at present so hardly ‘everyday classics’. I didn’t intend to have a pair of everything though - it just happened that way. The two landrovers will definitely go (when I’ve found the time to get another on the road - having worked on cars for 30 years I’ve found landrovers just about the most poorly designed motor ever… just crap not even fun to drive… may be able to go at 50 mph if one’s ears can stand it. Only thing decent is the arctic heater I put in.

Tis a Kestrel 12/4 fully restored and in reasonably regular use. No double de clutching as pre-select.

The Bentley is unusual as it’s yet to reach 18,000 from new. Not bad for 29 years old. It’s, not surprisingly, mint.

I have mentioned a classic truck a few times but I’ve got a grumpy accountant with no sense of fun!

jessejazza:

Peter Smythe:

1935 Riley. Imp, Kestrel, Falcon ? - whichever very nice… good old days of double de-clutching.
Mulsanne? What… oh you mean a BENTLEY! That’s a woman’s car with ‘bells & whistles’. :blush:

The firm I’ve just joined have one old unit in mint condition just inside reception and they have several others in a warehouse.

When I said classic cars I meant everyday classics; 2 x Triumph Heralds, 2 x Reliant Regal 2s (aluminium bodied v.rare with the lovely side valve engine), 2 x Rickman Rangers (kit cars) and 2 x Series Landrovers. Only the SWB landrover on the road at present so hardly ‘everyday classics’. I didn’t intend to have a pair of everything though - it just happened that way. The two landrovers will definitely go (when I’ve found the time to get another on the road - having worked on cars for 30 years I’ve found landrovers just about the most poorly designed motor ever… just crap not even fun to drive… may be able to go at 50 mph if one’s ears can stand it. Only thing decent is the arctic heater I put in.

Whats wrong with the landies assuming they are series 1 or 2 they were built for agricultural use not bombing along motorways and a roads fixing in the middle of the field etc etc.

I have a rover p6 3500s for my sins now that is a car that is a pig to work on because its full of futuristic design ideas that never really took off oh and if you want to take the engine out you have to cut out the front slam panel.

I love the 60’s and 70’s cars though sooo many people either had them or remember them from their childhood. Just yesterday I mentioned I have a p6 and the guy immediately said what the one with the spare on the boot we spent the next hour or so chatting about all the cars of the time

lizard:
Another trick to get even cheaper insurance if your a tamper, put down that your company yard as where you leave the car overnight the most and it brings your premiums down.

Thanks good idea. Now I am in a tramping job and insurance due in Feb I’ll give it a shot.

Peter Smythe:
Tis a Kestrel 12/4 fully restored and in reasonably regular use. No double de clutching as pre-select.

The Bentley is unusual as it’s yet to reach 18,000 from new. Not bad for 29 years old. It’s, not surprisingly, mint.

I have mentioned a classic truck a few times but I’ve got a grumpy accountant with no sense of fun!

Pre-select - the forerunner of the modern autoshift? Not looked at one for a while… need to go to some more classic car shows. :smiley:

Perhaps another approach for a advertising classic truck would be that there is no depreciation so with advertising lively it is an asset. The one at work was a lively 60’s motor utterly mint… it may have lived at reception all it’s life!

jessejazza:

lizard:

Thanks good idea. Now I am in a tramping job and insurance due in Feb I’ll give it a shot.

All you need to tell your insurance company that you park your car in a secure carpark (staff carpark) overnight for more nights a week than you do at home, with the postcode of your works yard and it brings your premiums down. I’ve just renewed my insurance on an 18 plate focus and it is only £180 ish for the whole year fully comp with breakdown cover and NCD protected.
I’ve been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now and it has always helped save me money.
It doesn’t stop you from parking at home overnight it’s just better for you if you tell them where your car is the most, which in a trampers life, is at work.

Sent using smoke signals

cooper1203:

jessejazza:

Peter Smythe:

Whats wrong with the landies assuming they are series 1 or 2 they were built for agricultural use not bombing along motorways and a roads fixing in the middle of the field etc etc.

I have a rover p6 3500s for my sins now that is a car that is a pig to work on because its full of futuristic design ideas that never really took off oh and if you want to take the engine out you have to cut out the front slam panel.

I love the 60’s and 70’s cars though sooo many people either had them or remember them from their childhood. Just yesterday I mentioned I have a p6 and the guy immediately said what the one with the spare on the boot we spent the next hour or so chatting about all the cars of the time

What’s right with them !
I have a LWB S2 which was always going to be a long term resto. The SWB is a S3. It’s not much of a drive for the road and crap for towing. I was offered it for a fair price and took it. At the time I had two dogs and thus the LWB was to be dog transport. The SWB brakes are poor. It’s not being drums that is the problem - the shoes only have one adjuster on the leading shoe pivoting on a pin at the bottom. That means the shoes do not wear evenly across the surface of the shoe - so when new shoes fitted one has to do some mileage to bed the shoes in with 20% braking to start with and slowly increasing to perhaps 60-70% after a 1000 or so miles. Yet they got the idea right on the handbrake - the cone adjuster at the bottom and so whole surface of shoes in contact. S2 rear brakes the same until the S2a which then reverted to a snail adjuster idea (backward step) but did at least consider two adjusters. You can fit discs but the adapter kit makes it more that the motor is worth.

I certainly wouldn’t want to do a 2-3 hour drive in one. For towing I will get my 2L Rickman kitcar sorted out. A Reliant Scimitar was the best tow car I’ve known - 3L lots of torque and no rear overhang. Thing is with landrovers there is proper parts and sh*tpart… whilst parts availability is plentiful alot of it is crap and not worth bothering with. Landrovers not really for me I guess.

P6 always liked those but haven’t looked at one for ‘ease of maintenance’ potential. There must be an easier way of getting the engine out without cutting panel. Bonnet and side panels may have to come off but only by undoing bolts (perhaps utterly rusted and thus drilled/pad sawed out). As the engine bay was originally for a 2.2L (I think without checking) it may be tight but in the factory they had a method of getting them in without cutting panel. Perhaps gearbox has to be separated and then the engine can be lifted/angled/twisted with a hoist above the engine bay. It may be one raises the front, drops the suspension and then raises/lowers the V8 engine off the floor - not as bad as it sounds.

Taking a gearbox out of a landrover is not easy - seat box and passenger door removed, engine crane put through passenger door aperture and juggled with to support the gearbox as it is moved backwards. Think I will have to do a clutch shortly so I am not looking forward to it.