Hit a concert post where I stand now

Hi all new driver only been driving for 4 weeks first driving job. Well after delivery to a tight shop having to go down a tight Entry and when I say tight I mean tight and few mm ever side of truck and due to cars park on ever side of road on double yellow end hitting a post and I mean took it out.

So anyone got any advice would be welcome as all my company are saying is we have to see how bad the damage is first before we decided what going to happen.

Basically want to know what will happen e.g will I lose my license, will I be fine for the damage, could I lose my job before it got started as it took me 9 months to get this one. Reported to company and shop as that all they said I had to do

Tia

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You wont lose your licence.
Hardly a major accident but company could be arses if you’re still on probation.
Second week with my company I clobbered a traffic sign…no damage to the sign but slightly dented the fuel tank shield.
Company was fine with it…but undoubtedly helped that the drop had had no risk assessment carried out on it

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yeah though I could lose the job as I know the company use to be relax stuff like this. E.g driver tip his Trailer on a island and kept his job but they been hitting down on it just lately and I could be used for a example. Have told them to send some out to look at drop as it’s bad.

It’d be harsh to use a new and inexperienced driver as an example…especially for what is a minor bump.
Be prepared to use whatever disciplinary process is available if necessary…and highlight the disparity between tipping a trailer (which easily adds up to careless driving) and clouting a post.

Good luck

Monkey241:
It’d be harsh to use a new and inexperienced driver as an example…especially for what is a minor bump.
Be prepared to use whatever disciplinary process is available if necessary…and highlight the disparity between tipping a trailer (which easily adds up to careless driving) and clouting a post.

Good luck

Cheers. Will do use what ever I can as due to new and inexperience driver I find it hard to get a 2nd job [emoji106]

You’ve got to be going some to lose your licence and little dints certainly aren’t going to do that by a long way.

Fines - nah, you did what you needed to and its a genuine accident so not a chance.

Job - it’s possible but to be honest if they haven’t said “theres the door” then it sounds like they probably aren’t intending to do too much. Impossible to say, but not covering it up will help hugely.

Chalk it up to experience. We all do it and most sensible employers realise theres a risk of damage from something that size. Lost count if the number of things I’ve bumped and clipped in a rigid. Try to avoid cars and people as they are much more expensive.

Btw, obviously try not to do it, but its not the end of the world.

All I can advise is did you have a second person with you. if so did he get out to guide you back, I know with the company I work for we have porters/drivers mates and they get arsey if we hit anything with out the drivers mate getting out to watch us through or back.

Having said that last week I was in a van that hit a deer at 70 mph. Smashed headlight smashed front bumper dent to n/s wing and bonnet plus a very good wash needed.
We called the office etc all they said was write out a defect ticket for the recovery firm and call your customers to tell them your going to be late. When we got back to the yard that night they were more interested in making deer jokes than what actually happened

Bear in mind that bollards are there to stop you encroaching on certain areas, the same as railings etc. The bollard did its job in this case. The very nature of them being low down and small make this type of thing quite common.

Technically you should make contact with the property owner or report to the police within 24 hours.

Try not to compound the incident with more incidents. Look out for gusts of wind and Mercedes / BMW cars parking right behind you.

trevHCS:
You’ve got to be going some to lose your licence and little dints certainly aren’t going to do that by a long way.

Fines - nah, you did what you needed to and its a genuine accident so not a chance.

Job - it’s possible but to be honest if they haven’t said “theres the door” then it sounds like they probably aren’t intending to do too much. Impossible to say, but not covering it up will help hugely.

Chalk it up to experience. We all do it and most sensible employers realise theres a risk of damage from something that size. Lost count if the number of things I’ve bumped and clipped in a rigid. Try to avoid cars and people as they are much more expensive.

Btw, obviously try not to do it, but its not the end of the world.

Cheers[emoji106]

cooper1203:
All I can advise is did you have a second person with you. if so did he get out to guide you back, I know with the company I work for we have porters/drivers mates and they get arsey if we hit anything with out the drivers mate getting out to watch us through or back.

Having said that last week I was in a van that hit a deer at 70 mph. Smashed headlight smashed front bumper dent to n/s wing and bonnet plus a very good wash needed.
We called the office etc all they said was write out a defect ticket for the recovery firm and call your customers to tell them your going to be late. When we got back to the yard that night they were more interested in making deer jokes than what actually happened

Cheers [emoji106]. Second man [emoji16] not a chance at our place cost to much money.

Noremac:
Bear in mind that bollards are there to stop you encroaching on certain areas, the same as railings etc. The bollard did its job in this case. The very nature of them being low down and small make this type of thing quite common.

Technically you should make contact with the property owner or report to the police within 24 hours.

Try not to compound the incident with more incidents. Look out for gusts of wind and Mercedes / BMW cars parking right behind you.

Cheers [emoji106] and yes you right it did it job. Think cause it the first accident I ever had in car or truck and I just thinking the worse. Didn’t report it to Property owner or police as office say just tell the shop and fill a form in.

Noremac:

French drivers are the worst for parking in stupid places. I used to holiday in France as a kid we would drive a mile out of town so we didn’t block up the road too much and find a space with nothing parked opposite. bet your bottom dollar when we came back hour later some silly bugger would of parked opposite us nearly blocking the road

Mrslow:
Cheers [emoji106] and yes you right it did it job. Think cause it the first accident I ever had in car or truck and I just thinking the worse. Didn’t report it to Property owner or police as office say just tell the shop and fill a form in.

You reported it to the shop so you have covered yourself on that one.

Best thing to is be honest. It was tight, I was going as slow as possible etc. Lying will only get you deeper in the brown stuff.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mrslow:
Hi all new driver only been driving for 4 weeks first driving job. Well after delivery to a tight shop having to go down a tight Entry and when I say tight I mean tight and few mm ever side of truck and due to cars park on ever side of road on double yellow end hitting a post and I mean took it out.

So anyone got any advice would be welcome as all my company are saying is we have to see how bad the damage is first before we decided what going to happen.

Basically want to know what will happen e.g will I lose my license, will I be fine for the damage, could I lose my job before it got started as it took me 9 months to get this one. Reported to company and shop as that all they said I had to do

Tia

did you have a Risk Assessment for the drop? our place we have them for every drop and collection point.

carryfast-yeti:
did you have a Risk Assessment for the drop? our place we have them for every drop and collection point.

So do we and they mean jack and Christ knows who did them, Stevie Wonder could do a better job ffs.

We’ve had drivers on warnings and all they say is you can’t have followed the RA’s so it’s drivers fault.

Thing is if challenged with someone who actually knows how to do RA they back down with the “Well we will let it go this time” as if they’ve done a bloody favour when it’s what happens in logistics.

For what this was I’d ignore it and carry on. Might be OP overthinking it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk