Tacho cards before test

My son has got his provisional HGV licence at 18 having passed his car at 17. He will be taking all 3 theory exams 17th January. Can he today send off for a tacho card or does he have to pass the 3 theory tests practical driving test and initial cpc before getting a tacho card ?

A tacho digicard can be got with just a B (car) licence = now :smiley:

Does he have to send off his licence to get a tacho card the forms are really unclear about this? Also am I correct in saying he cant drive my lorry 32 tonne 4 axle tipper with appropriate insurance and L plates as I only have a class c test and not a instructors licence. I taught him to drive a car.

Hope all goes well with the theory tests.

If he’s not already sorted, CAT C is £1260 with free accommodation if he lives more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW.

As always, 1:1 tuition with a fully qualified and registered instructor (NOT a legal requirement). Very modern fleet. Private test centre on site. So the reversing is practiced on the same bit of concrete that he’ll use for test.

Also worth noting that we have no additional insurance requirements for 18 year olds.

Hope this helps but feel free to contact me if I can help further.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If I am correct the only thing you need other than insurance and l plates is the usual over 21 and held licence for 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Does he have to send off his licence to get a tacho card the forms are really unclear about this? Also am I correct in saying he cant drive my lorry 32 tonne 4 axle tipper with appropriate insurance and L plates as I only have a class c test and not a instructors licence. I taught him to drive a car.

No need to send licence to apply for tacho card.

He can drive your truck with appropriate insurance and L plates but not with a paying load. This would require a driver cpc which can be done before he does his practical driver training if that helps. Contact me for more details.

It matters not that you have no instructor ticket. It’s not a legal requirement (stupidly IMO) so whilst I can see that it would help both you and him, I cant imagine that you’d want to part with your hard earned to a totally unqualified and unregistered “instructor”. The huge majority of “instructors” are not qualified or registered. And my guess is that a similar number have never had training to train. Scary, but true.

The only licence requirement to supervise a LGV learner is to hold the appropriate licence for 3 years.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
He can drive your truck with appropriate insurance and L plates but not with a paying load. This would require a driver cpc which can be done before he does his practical driver training if that helps

To expand on this - he cannot drive under L plates on an empty return to base for example because that is still part of the commercial journey

He can drive under L plates if the whole drive/journey was from the yard and back to the yard empty

Thanks for the useful replies put me straight. Might as well get a driving school to do all training and then teach him myself once he has a full licence. Before I was thinking could have taught him while running back empty etc. Stupid idea really as a little 18 tonne box is a lot safer.