First insert of tacho card advice

Happy Christmas guys.

I have my first run out this coming Friday since passing my class 2 test a few months back. I am delivering a artic unit to a garage about 120miles away.

I have never used a digi tacho before but watched some videos. It looks fairly straight forward. Although I did watch a vlog on YouTube ages ago and the person was saying when they first inserted their card they had to do something different. Only that once though. For the life of me I can’t find the same video. Does anyone know what will happen when I insert my card in for the first time?

not sure, but whenever you put your tacho in it asks manual entry, choose no and choose uk as country.

then wait 10mins for walk around then drive

When my card was inserted the first time, nobody knew what was really going on because it was ‘doing something different’. I have no clue whatsoever what they did, but it worked after they played around for ages with it and called others to the scene. :laughing:

Don’t be afraid to ask other drivers for help, honestly. I’d be inclined to ask nicely if anyone could make sure you’re doing it right as it’s your first time. IF it goes wrong/acts different, they’ve got more chance of fixing it than you have.

Turn on the ignition. Before you put your card in set the tacho to rest bed mode on driver 1. Put your card in and wait. You will get the manual entry question reply no.
After a few minutes you will see the rest-bed start to count up. When it gets to about 3 or 4 minutes of rest or more. Put it on hammers-work mode and go do your checks.
Now drive off. Don’t let anyone rush you .
In the future you can do manual entries for the time it takes you from getting to the yard to getting to the truck etc etc

Thanks guys.

First day today. It went great and card was no bother at all. The lorry shut off half way through my daily checks and it changed it from other work to break. So I started it back up and put it back on other work. Other than that it went great. Had to suss out the split gears for myself. Only had range change I’m my learner lorry.

Nice one. From now on the first message will be when your last withdrawal was and the same manual entry yes/no question.

Any other questions, I’m sure someone will oblige.

Have a good New Year when it comes.

What should I change the tacho to at the end of my shift? I’ve just read it shouldn’t be set to break on another thread on here.

When I got to where I was going I put the tacho on break because I wasn’t far off needing one. I put it on break when I arrived at my destination took a full 45 and took my card out after 1hr 30ish (I was waiting for them to be ready for the lorry) took my card out and handed they keys over.

Should I have not done that? :confused:

There is a school of thought which says you should set mode to Rest (bed symbol) before ejecting your card. The theory goes along the lines that it’s less likely you’ll accidentally record Other Work during your daily Rest period (by cocking up or not doing manual entries).

There is also a school of thought which says you shouldn’t do it because you are still “working” even after you eject your card.

I don’t see any issue at all with what you did. You identified that you would soon be required to take a Break, and took one.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
There is a school of thought which says you should set mode to Rest (bed symbol) before ejecting your card. The theory goes along the lines that it’s less likely you’ll accidentally record Other Work during your daily Rest period (by cocking up or not doing manual entries).

There is also a school of thought which says you shouldn’t do it because you are still “working” even after you eject your card.

I don’t see any issue at all with what you
did. You identified that you would soon be required to take a Break, and took one.

Okay few thanks :smiley:

Good morning

I dont know if this helps, but after a day of driving/work and I return to the depot and reverse into my allocated parking bay, I usually leave the engine running for several seconds, the tacho will automatically switch to hammers, I tend to eject the tacho at that point.
I gather all my bits together making sure all my personal belongings are in my work back, complete any company paperwork, give the cab a quick spray of air freshener, and make sure there is no rubbish left in the footwell or door compartments and then go and debrief.
My company know exactly what time i actually I get back on site and so on my timesheet I round things up in my favour, so if I got back on site at 17.40 for example I would write on my timesheet 18.00hrs finish time, the company are relaxed about that providing that you dont abuse it.

Next time I put my card in and I do the manual entries I make sure I record : other work from time of ejection, ie 17.42 till 18.00, the rest from 18.00 till current start time, then for the first 15 or 20 minutes or so it will be other work recorded …all of this would be manual entries.

Dont forget the moment you step into the transport office and grab your paperwork, keys etc etc you are technically working, so if your daily pay only starts at 06.00, then dont be going in at 05.45, Start at 06.00.

I hope this helps you in some way, but regardless you will soon get the hang of using the tacho, and any decent firm will point out any infringements to you when it comes to light, and if you are continue to make infringements will offer further training

1 Like

Robaidh:
What should I change the tacho to at the end of my shift? I’ve just read it shouldn’t be set to break on another thread on here.

When I got to where I was going I put the tacho on break because I wasn’t far off needing one. I put it on break when I arrived at my destination took a full 45 and took my card out after 1hr 30ish (I was waiting for them to be ready for the lorry) took my card out and handed they keys over.

Should I have not done that?

Changing to rest before ejecting should not make a jot of difference. It also leads to a situation where the next guy puts his card in, doesn’t realise and does his checks while on rest.

Cannot fault your procedure for recording a break and then leaving the card in until you were ready to hand the vehicle over. Worth bearing in mind that your journey back would be part of the shift.

Robaidh:

Should I have not done that? :confused:

If I am reading it right you left it on break for 1h30 then ejected it while still on this break?

If so you would have needed to finish the break by putting to other work for 1 or 2 minutes before ejecting.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Now I’m getting confused haha. At end of day do I leave it on rest or other work?

If I leave it on other work I have to do a manual entry the following morning to record my daily rest?

Supposing I arrive at yard, park up it will go to cross hammers, sort my bag out ect put it on break get out and lock cab and get straight into car is that wrong?

I just don’t want to end up on the wrong side of the law.

It doesn’t matter one way or the other.

Noremac:

Robaidh:

Should I have not done that?

Changing to rest before ejecting should not make a jot of difference. It also leads to a situation where the next guy puts his card in, doesn’t realise and does his checks while on rest.

Cannot fault your procedure for recording a break and then leaving the card in until you were ready to hand the vehicle over. Worth bearing in mind that your journey back would be part of the shift.

Anyone putting their card in has total responsibility for the mode the tacho is showing. It can be checked/changed before card insertion.
Your card, your responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Robaidh:
Now I’m getting confused haha. At end of day do I leave it on rest or other work?

If I leave it on other work I have to do a manual entry the following morning to record my daily rest?

Supposing I arrive at yard, park up it will go to cross hammers, sort my bag out ect put it on break get out and lock cab and get straight into car is that wrong?

I just don’t want to end up on the wrong side of the law.

The driver card only records activity when it is inserted and when you insert your card and make a manual entry to cover the time it wasn’t inserted. Changing to rest before ejecting is completely pointless.

I think the point someone else was making was that a rest taken during a shift needs to have some work after it.

As Franglais said, my card my responsibility.

This is why I’m after a definitive answer. So I should be setting it to other work at the end of my shift. Then at the beginning of my next shift enter a manual entry of rest to show my daily rest?

If I’m not doing any work from the second I switch the engine off for example out the cab and straight into the car can it not be put on break?

Robaidh:
This is why I’m after a definitive answer. So I should be setting it to other work at the end of my shift. Then at the beginning of my next shift enter a manual entry of rest to show my daily rest?

Yes

Robaidh:
If I’m not doing any work from the second I switch the engine off for example out the cab and straight into the car can it not be put on break?

You could put it on break, but for what purpose? You would still have to do the manual entry anyway.

I should also add that your posts make it sound a bit like you are leaving your card in. I certainly wouldn’t recommend that, but if the card is in, you have finished working and you are leaving it overnight, then rest is the most appropriate setting.

I am sure this will be clearer after a couple more shifts.

Noremac:

Robaidh:

Yes

Robaidh:

You could put it on break, but for what purpose? You would still have to do the manual entry anyway.

I should also add that your posts make it sound a bit like you are leaving your card in. I certainly wouldn’t recommend that, but if the card is in, you have finished working and you are leaving it overnight, then rest is the most appropriate setting.

I am sure this will be clearer after a couple more shifts.

That’s great thank you for that. Just wanted to make sure Im getting it right.

P. S. No I take my card out and put it in my wallet