Driving assessment what they watching for

Hi all got a driver assessment at the start of January I have my class c and d and d1 licence but this is a assessment if I meet the grade for them to put me threw a class 1 licence at cost to company with full time permanent job at the end if I meet the grade is any u guys asseors or been assessed and have any tips what the assessment officer will be looking out for

I have done a few assessments. A nice calm safe drive is the key.

Driving assessors are nowhere near the standard of a driving examiner. There may be a similar form and certain marks will be made in certain boxes. It means very little, although that is not to say that some valid observations could be made.

In my experience if the company is big on fuel efficiency the assessor may try and instruct your driving throughout the assessment. This effectively means that it is a driving lesson rather than a driving assessment. This can be a distraction.

If you have to adapt your style in order to pass the assessment according to the assessor’s requirements, do so in a safe manner.

First of all if it’s a national haulage company would you mind telling me the name of the company as I believe a company paying for you to do class 1 is a pretty sweet deal I’d like to be part of.

Just remember to put your card in and do your 15 minutes checks as normal, don’t be rushed or over look them completely, that won’t impress anybody.

Check the O-licence in the windscreen, check the wiper blades, check the is enough diesel in, adjust your mirrors before moving off, ask if the vehicle is loaded, if it is check the load security before going anywhere, fill in a vehicle defect sheet, let your assessor see you checking the in cab hight marker.

Like what’s already been said, if it’s a company big on saving fuel / eco driving use cruise control 95% of the drive, plan well ahead and turn it off 500 to 800 yards before reaching junctions, roundabouts, tight turns in the road, go gently on the breaks, try not to need to stop and traffic lights and roundabouts by loosing all your speed before hand but keep rolling and slow speeds so you never come to a stand still where possible and safe to do so.

Turn off the radio or any other distractions.