I’d say sensor, rather than camera. I’ve never seen an enforcement camera in such a small enclosure.

While they are sensors for something I don’t know what for, I do know that they are not sensors for taking pictures of cars passing through the lights on red.

The red traffic light sensors are wires cut out from the tarmac, the wires in the ground are then only activated once the light goes red, pass over the wires while the light is on red and the wires in the ground activate the camera to take a picture.

You are in the clear this time, just don’t make a habit of it, remember it’s always better just to stop.

. I found this Just to reassure you.

Red Light.',;'.;',;.';,'.;',;.';,';.';,'.;,.';.JPG.

I checked on Google maps and there appears no sensors in the road directly after the line but appears to be abit further

Here is another

Gatso cameras take a picture of the rear number plate and I think a red light camera would surely be the same.

If you think about it logically, the camera shown by the o/p would have to take a picture before you have crossed the line and also the camera wouldn’t also show the traffic light at red, so wouldn’t provide the image that would enable the enforcing of the penalty.

I am sure there are also rules about such cameras having to be painted in a highly visible colour and indicated with warning signs further back as well.

Hope this helps and prevents a nervous wait over the next couple of weeks.

Yeah the wires after the white painted line do look worrying to me, that’s just how you find them when traffic lights have a camera on them, you get the wires in the road after the white stop line.

Have you had a look for a camera at this location to be 100% sure.

Sometimes speed cameras and the like are taken down and moved to a different location but the speed camera signs and white markings on the road are left in place.

I would be looking for the actual yellow traffic light camera.

I’ve had a good look about and can’t see anything, further up there are loops in the road aswell.
Here is the location
Stamfordham Rd
maps.app.goo.gl/Ka81GwDYjAfFCWF56

Yeah you are right, I can’t see any Camera.

No camera means no points.

There is other reasons why wires in the road are used other than controlling a penalty camera, but when they are bang on the lights then it tends to be to activate the camera.

But going back to what I was saying earlier, can you see how it’s just better to come to a swift halt than go through them and spend 3 weeks plus, worrying, and even if you are not that bothered and are not the worrying type, it’s still better to come to a swift halt than to get points and a fine.

The people why you see jump the lights are the Auid, BWM and Mercedes [ZB]S who jump the lights everyday, but they all have points on their licences.

As a new driver I worry about red light thing. What if I entered the crossing and light went amber, like whats the margin, how far you can be and still get away with it.

Puffin, Zebra, Toucan, Pelican and Pegasus are all different types of pedestrian crossings.

Some have pedestrian sensors and change automatically, some have traffic sensors that monitor how busy the road is, others can tell if there is movement on the pedestrian section, they don’t take photographs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich2012:
I’ve had a good look about and can’t see anything, further up there are loops in the road aswell.
Here is the location
Stamfordham Rd
maps.app.goo.gl/Ka81GwDYjAfFCWF56

If it was a red light camera, checking for sensors in the road would make no difference to the fine / points that would later arrive.

There are a few posts above that would appear to indicate that the camera is not a red light camera for various reasons. My reason of choice was that the camera would not show the red light and the vehicle going through.

pedrosa666:
As a new driver I worry about red light thing. What if I entered the crossing and light went amber, like whats the margin, how far you can be and still get away with it.

1 to 2 seconds after changing to red, they are not there to catch drivers out doing nothing wrong and getting caught going through on amber, they are there to catch people going through on full blown red.

It’s a speed/object detection sensor, not a camera. I run red lights all day :sunglasses: , gatso yes, traffic light cameras no.

Re original - sensor for spotting those “thundering juganaugts” (and cars) coming towards the light so it can decide if it feels nice and goes green or goes red at the last minute.

Red light cameras usually seem to be made by Gatzo in the UK and look like smaller versions of speed cameras (virtually all are yellow these days I’ve seen), often positioned slightly higher on a pole and completely seperate from the traffic lights. And they flash just like speed cams so you’d know if it went off.

I don’t know if there’s an official time after which the camera flashes, but I’ve been through many that have gone amber when too close to stop. Scary in an artic but never been flashed so guessing it must be 5+ seconds usually.

Just don’t make a habit of it. :slight_smile: