On the fence

Truckface:

Peter Smythe:

I don’t doubt the existence of jobs, or your advice about knocking on doors etc; my post was more focusing on the quality/pay/conditions of what jobs are out there (particularly for newly qualifieds) vs. the relatively high cost of training and lack of employer support thereon. The consensus seems to be there are some good jobs, but they are hard to find. As a potential new entrant into the industry I wish the employment picture was slightly more positive. If ever there was an industry crying out for collective bargaining and unionisation, HGV driving would seem to be it.

Parts of the industry are unionised, and it’s no shock to discover they usually have the best terms and conditions.
Sadly whole swathes of the population have been brainwashed into believing unions are only there to destroy the country from within, hundreds of thousands of working class people convinced that belonging to a union and gaining better terms is the work of satan.

I’m no raving lefty and anyone who is getting better terms and conditions should give back, by offering decent value for money to their employer, going that extra mile, looking after the kit the vehicle the goods and especially the customer is straight common sense (without a customer no one has a job), sadly too many drivers can’t see any of this for themselves and it has helped lead to the lowering of standards all round and the consequential lower wage earning potential of people who refuse to do their bit to protect their own jobs and futures.

As an established driver its in my interests for the industry not offer too much too soon to attract staff, or it would be even more overrun with licence holders than it already is.

As a new driver it’s down to them to prove themselves worth considering by the better employers, you can make your own luck in this game up to a point, reliable accident free and no sickies, prove you are competent and can be trusted and you’ll find one day that the investment you put in gaining the right reputation pays off.