Stop, start traffic?

Guys why in stop start traffic do some HGV drivers stop for a good 1-minute leave a huge gap then drive off I normally just drive real slow keeping a flow. Is it really to save on tacho driving time??

Also why wasn’t using the retarder exhaust break not taught in training literally can stop much quicker then usual now

txting and updating fachache is easier when your parked. :wink:

Try doing that in New York from JFK to FiDi, that’s proper stop/start [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tacho only updates your activity on the stroke of the minute. If you use this to your advantage in heavy traffic you can save a significant amount of driving time. A few weeks ago I drove 3 miles on the M60, stop-start for almost 2 hours, yet only recorded 4 minutes of driving time.
If you’re a proper company man, you can use this to help you with your breaks as well. Taking a break while the guy in front of you loads, he finishes and drives off, wait til the minute clicks over, drive forward, stop, then click back over to break again all within 60 seconds, and the tacho will not record any vehicle movement or change of tacho activity, so break time continues!!
And that is how you can become your planners favourite brown noser!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Personally i won’t move just to close a gap of a couple car lengths, i’ll wait until there’s a fair bit of room and then just keep it ticking over on idle.

The reason i do it is, you always end up in the same place minus a couple of cars that move into your lane, the more i have to start and stop the more bored i get.

It’s a prime chance to stuff your face and sip tea. :smiley:

TruckDriverBen:
Also why wasn’t using the retarder exhaust break not taught in training literally can stop much quicker then usual now

If you ever find the answer to that mystery you’ve stopped the race to the very bottom of ‘‘one size fits all’’ in its tracks.

Persevere with perfecting your auxilliary (exhauster/retarder) braking and you can cover dozens of miles, on mixed roads, without ever using the service brakes.