Just passed, looking for PT work

Evening all.

I’m after some guidance/advice from those currently in the industry.
Passed my class 2 (first time!) about 7 weeks ago and my class 1 (also first time!) 2 weeks ago. Got my licence back today.

I currently work part time (postie) for Royal Mail and eventually want to move onto class 1 work with them, however, I’m hoping to get some part time class 1/2 work until a vacancy with RM becomes available.

I understand as a new pass I have to start at the bottom, and that’s fine, but it needs to be ad hoc or part time to fit in with my postie work.

Does this sound realistic? I’m in the North West (near Runcorn) if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet will be signing up with a few agencies and letting them know which days you are available to work.

Any agency i have used asked me what days i wanted to work and seem to be flexible enough if you need them to be.

Also make it known to your company that you have your licences and want to move onto a driving job with them.

Try 7.5 tonne working for Royal Mail in Warrington. Most Class 1 jobs require 2 years experience, so this could be a foot in the door. If you gained your car licence before 1997, you will have held a 7.5 tonne licence for over 20 years.

adrnetwork.co.uk/hgv-jobs/619

You do need 12 months experience for this job, but that might just mean that you’ve held your 7.5 tonne licence for 12 months. You would also need to be available for an assessment and induction during the week.

PASSING C.jpg
LPLATE.jpg

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Most agencies I’ve tried don’t seem to be interested. I’ve a clean licence, been driving a car 13 or so years.

My most senior manager knows I want to move to the wagons and is supportive but everything is based on seniority with RM and there are atleast 3 ahead of me in the queue. I was hoping to get some OT in with RM over Xmas but it’s not happened. ADR network also won’t touch me.

There is a new super hub opening in Warrington who may want drivers next year but its all hearsay at the moment.

I just want to get on the road!

It sounds like you have taken to driving like a duck to water with your successful tests.

You say your postie work is part-time but is it five days? Is it a day off during the week?

I just ask because some shift patterns would make it very difficult to fit in driving as well. It is generally much easier, say, if you have two days off together.

It is possibly just a case of waiting.

1on4:
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Most agencies I’ve tried don’t seem to be interested. I’ve a clean licence, been driving a car 13 or so years.

My most senior manager knows I want to move to the wagons and is supportive but everything is based on seniority with RM and there are atleast 3 ahead of me in the queue. I was hoping to get some OT in with RM over Xmas but it’s not happened. ADR network also won’t touch me.

There is a new super hub opening in Warrington who may want drivers next year but its all hearsay at the moment.

I just want to get on the road!

Go and look for tipper work on Class 2. Tons of them out there, I had two jobs secured straight after passing. After a couple of weeks I went on to pass my class 1 and now I’m starting with the biggest company in the country.

Long story short, I think you would be far better off leaving RM for now and actually driving full time class 1. Loads of companies that will take newbies with open hands.

Your postie experience will not help in getting class 1 job with them from what you are saying they have a pecking order and that’s fair.

What I would do, leave RM for now, go gain on road experience and in some time try applying for RM class 1 either directly or agency.

By staying there and working as a postie you are not moving forward I’m afraid.

1on4:
Evening all.

I’m after some guidance/advice from those currently in the industry.
Passed my class 2 (first time!) about 7 weeks ago and my class 1 (also first time!) 2 weeks ago. Got my licence back today.

I currently work part time (postie) for Royal Mail and eventually want to move onto class 1 work with them, however, I’m hoping to get some part time class 1/2 work until a vacancy with RM becomes available.

I understand as a new pass I have to start at the bottom, and that’s fine, but it needs to be ad hoc or part time to fit in with my postie work.

Does this sound realistic? I’m in the North West (near Runcorn) if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sign on with Elite Employment in Widnes, they have quite a few clients who accept new pass drivers and they will work around your postie work. One of thier clients is B&M in Speke, they are crying out for drivers

Many thanks for the replies, all very helpful.

I work 3 (long) days a week for RM so have 4 consecutive days off (Sun-Wed).I am reluctant to leave because I’m almost certain its a case of when, not if, I can move onto class 1’s. Some of my colleagues have already done it and I’m not far from Warrington which is well placed for RM drivers. I have an excellent pension, sick pay, shares etc which I don’t want to give up.

Thank you Andy for the advice re: local agencies. I’ll look into that.

I just wanted to establish if it is realistic for me to get PT class 1/2 work. It looks like it may be a case of continuing to contact agencies.

Thanks again.

I wouldn’t walk out on RM as a postie, as you’re likely privy to things the public aren’t. While working at RM on Agency, I’ve seen them advertise for 7.5T drivers internally in the past at their MC/VOC but didn’t advertise online. (In the South East)

Is where you’re working from, a Mail Centre/VOC by chance? Surely it would be worth having a word with the guys who book agency drivers, to see if you can get a shift here and there, or at least do a driving assessment, so you’re ready to go, should they suddenly find they need a driver last minute? Obviously if you’re not at a MC/VOC operating site, it could be a bit more of a challenge.

I’m not 100% but I think there is some kind of employment law crap that prevents you from working with a company, then working for that same company via agency…Again, I’m not 100% but might be worth finding out.

Hyh:
I wouldn’t walk out on RM as a postie, as you’re likely privy to things the public aren’t. While working at RM on Agency, I’ve seen them advertise for 7.5T drivers internally in the past at their MC/VOC but didn’t advertise online. (In the South East)

Is where you’re working from, a Mail Centre/VOC by chance? Surely it would be worth having a word with the guys who book agency drivers, to see if you can get a shift here and there, or at least do a driving assessment, so you’re ready to go, should they suddenly find they need a driver last minute? Obviously if you’re not at a MC/VOC operating site, it could be a bit more of a challenge.

I’m not 100% but I think there is some kind of employment law crap that prevents you from working with a company, then working for that same company via agency…Again, I’m not 100% but might be worth finding out.

There’s no law but some employers have policies in place. Just check with your line manager if you plan to agency work RM whilst working there as an employee in a different department

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hyh:

One of the youtube HGV drivers (Luke C in a HGV) did something like this. Cant recall if he went from being employed directly to being employed by the agency, or if it was a sub contractor but he essentially still worked for the same company.

Thanks for the clarification MrKev83 and M65Chris :slight_smile: