Where do I go from here? AA? Supermarket?

I’ve passed both my Class 2 and Class 1 pretty much back to back, with the great help of Flair Training and Roadtrain Thurrock, who both got me through the tests first time. So I’m sitting here now, a week after passing, and I don’t have a job because I couldn’t get the time off from my retail job to train for my Class 1, so I quit it. I wanted to get it done before Christmas. I have some savings though so I’m not desperate but I should be working in the next few weeks doing something. So the job hunt has begun for suitable work around the Thurrock area.

One job that has excited me a bit is AA recovery (not a technician, just a recovery driver). It’s Class 2 but they say Class 1 is an advantage and I’ve got both. The pay’s alright, the hours are bad but I’m used to that, I’m not scared of a bit of bad weather or getting dirty and a bit of physical work is advantageous. The only thing is I did bus work before and dealing with the dregs of society run me down. What’s it like dealing with people at the roadside? Are they generally alright and thankful for the help (as I’ve always been when I’ve broken down)? Or is it like bus work. Where the ■■■■ have you been you ■■■■■ I’m after relatively low pressure, low stress for my first HGV job, with an employer that’ll go easy on my newbie ■■■ for the first week or so and put me with someone to get me used to the job. Do you think this could be it? If not, what else is there? Any recommendations?

I’ve been told supermarket work is good to get in to. I’ve worked in supermarkets and spoken to HGV drivers and they were usually pretty happy. I’d struggle to get a trailer on a bay at the moment though, and I’ve actually booked some extra reversing training in for next week to try and improve a bit, because passing the test (reverse manoeuvre) is one thing, but I don’t feel prepared for real life reversing at all. So I’m going to hold fire for a few days before applying for anything like that and see how that training goes. I don’t want to go to an assessment and make a complete ■■■ of myself, I at least want half a clue about what it is I’m doing.

I did email an agency (Prodrive) explaining I was an new pass, Class 1 & 2 - and was it worth registering with them, did they have anything for me? That was last Thursday, and no reply, so I guess the answer is probably no. :cry:

Have PM you…

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Cheers, could be very useful.

Try GC distribution , Young’s transport both looking for class 2 drivers both on botany way Purfleet their both opposite each other , ningo distribution on Purfleet industrial estate , forest freight on fairview industrial estate rainham ,british bakeries in Dagenham always looking for drivers plus you might get lucky and they might have a class one position as they all run class 1 vehicles . Also try Eddie Stobarts in Dagenham always looking for drivers

only thing I would say about aa work is the call centres are BAD I restore classic cars as a hobby and I cant tell you the amount of times I have called up from the side of the road explained in great detail what the issue is and pointed out its an old car it doesn’t have odb2 and the muppets send out a van with some teeny bopper that comes dashing out with a scanner in his hand. so by the time the proper recovery truck turns up im pretty fed up. im still polite though its not the drivers fault. however I can see how some would be annoyed.

on the plus side you shouldn’t have to deal with the drunks and drug addicts you may of had to deal with on the buses.

I had the phone interview today, very quick! Passed it, but the scenarios WERE along the lines of “A customer has waited an hour for a patrol, and then another hour for your recovery truck. They are very frustrated and get angry with you. How would you deal with that”…

To be honest, if they’re asking these questions it’s kind of a warning that I will have to deal with difficult customers a lot, and that’s not what I got my HGV licence for.

I’m having serious second thoughts and looking more closely at firms I’ve been told about on here (thanks), or supermarkets. I think because of the trauma of bus work I can’t be dealing with angry people any more.

I love the idea of recovery though. Wish I could do heavy recovery, but that would be insanity for a new pass and I know I’m years off that. :smiley:

i passed aa’s interview about a year or so ago.

didn’t hear a thing after :imp:

:open_mouth: She did actually warn me on the phone it could be “weeks or months” for the recruitment day.
I was thinking that if they haven’t even scheduled a date for the recruitment day that they can tell me, then it’s probably not going to be any time soon. :smiley: I’m certainly not going to hold my breath.

SJB,

Try DHL or Culina if either in your area.
I just got a start with DHL. Last time I drove HGV was 3 years ago passing my test.
Assessment was daunting due to nerves…but it was nothing like the test and the assessor was great with advice.

Reversing? I probably learned more in the reversing for the assessment than I did on my courses.

I got a start and will have a mentor for a couple of weeks…

I also applied for Culina. They made it clear I would also have a mentor but be on reduced pay for that period. It wasnt a huge amount lost.

It’s good to know there are firms doing this. I only knew of Stobart.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk